It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
(female)

NikkaBlu HB User
NEWBIE- Dx AIS- having Cold Knife Cone on Thursday...

Hello all - found this site while struggling with the shock of this diagnosis myself. Actually surprised there are soo many of us out there!

So my story.. 39- married- no children. Have had "abnml" pap in the past- last year found HPV only- this year-came back again abnml- ECC done 3 weeks ago found AIS. MD doing cold knife cone on Thursday....been dealing with the reality of the situation- I have cancer.
Been reading everything I can find online...to try and understand this... all the feelings and questions.. the pity I get from others who find out about my "problem"- its a but much to deal with.
This website has been very comforting and informative....so..I'll be home for a few days after the procedure- so guaranteed I'll be checking in here.
For everyone else... good luck and be well!

Old 04-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: NEWBIE- Dx AIS- having Cold Knife Cone on Thursday...

NikkaBlu, I am in a similar situation. I had my ECC in mid March and my cone biopsy April 4th. I am so thankful for this forum and for the information that is available. A friend told me to quit reading all of the stuff online. I told her NO. That information is what is keeping me sane! At least I am reading about others' experiences and am making a list of questions to ask. If this were 10 or 20 years ago, I'd have little to no information and be in a panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkaBlu View Post
Been reading everything I can find online...to try and understand this... all the feelings and questions.. the pity I get from others who find out about my "problem"- its a but much to deal with.
This website has been very comforting and informative....so..I'll be home for a few days after the procedure- so guaranteed I'll be checking in here.
For everyone else... good luck and be well!
Amen to all of that!

I totally understand about the pity (or whatever they are feeling) and questions. I am tired (already) of answering the same questions over and over again. The people also look at me like (and ask) "aren't you upset?" DUH Yeah I am, but I can't cry every time I talk about it! I still have to grocery shop, do laundry, clean house, teach, carry on parent conferences, plan my lessons, attending (and participate) in meetings.

NikkaBlu, my best advice right now is to take some deep breaths, keep a list of questions for your doctor, and be as informed as you can be. And then, take a break from it all! Don't let this become your world.

Take care and check back in regularly. Ok?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #3
(female)

NikkaBlu HB User

Thanks Pickle Eyes........I'll will check back in and I appreciate your support!
Your right- I dont cry when I talk to people about it but-I cried when I learned about it.... and I spend every day- at work - at home- at the verge of tears but going thru the days events nonetheless... The distraction at work is the best thing - if yu ask me...though I had a nite out last week with friends- so I appreciate the benefit of relaxing and letting go.

Thanks again and Best of Health to you

Old 04-16-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nikka, I hope everything goes well tomorrow. I wish you a speedy recovery and a sense of calm!

Old 04-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
(female)

NikkaBlu HB User
Question waiting for results after CkC last week...

Had my cold knife cone, ecc and endometrial Bx last thursday- orginally Dx AIS.
Totally uneventful procedure and no pain or cramps what-so-ever afterwards... some bleeding, my period and some brown "stuff" ....for a few days but now practically clear...
Still waiting for the results- unable to reach MD today...so thats annoying...
but glad that I feel fine...
Curious how long others have waited for these same results... wondering if the delay means that he is consulting with the Onc- though- I feel that he is going to tell me I need a hysterectomy anyway....
ANyway- thats my post- my spirits are great...
Hope everyone else is doing well also-

Last edited by mod_007; 04-25-2008 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Not editted - but please follow abbreviation gidelines in sticky for future posts

Old 04-25-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: waiting for results after CkC last week...

NikkaBlu, I am so glad to know you are doing well! Just be very careful about lifting and doing too much. I felt much better at 1 week. I was still oozing (my description for the virtually clear discharge). I lived/moved something a little too heavy and I had some cramping later. When is your follow up appointment? Mine was schedule for 2 weeks post cone.

As far as those results, I'd call my doctor's office 3 times the week after the cone to ask. I had the exact same biopsies (cold knife cone, ECC, and endometrial biopsy) that you had. I called my doctor 1 week post-op. They had my results by then. I'm almost positive they wouldn't have told me the results until the next week (at my follow up appointment) if I hadn't called. I'm glad I called. I was diagnosed with endocervical adenocarcinoma Ia1. It is the lowest cancer stage. I feel blessed it was found so early and that it is such a low stage. My treatment is only a hysterectomy (uterus and cervix). I keep my ovaries, tubes, lymph nodes. I do not need chemotherapy or radiation. Just the hysterectomy.

Please write if you have any questions. I'll be glad to answer anything I can!

Just so you know, the cancer was diagnosed from the cone. The ecc and endometrial biopsies came back good.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
(female)

NikkaBlu HB User
Re: waiting for results after CkC last week...

"QUOTE=Pickle Eyes;NikkaBlu, I am so glad to know you are doing well! Just be very careful about lifting and doing too much."

Hi Pickle..
Ive been careful- and now that you explained ( the clear stuff coming out).. I realize I had that going on too....all better now! and I did have to call the MD office for the results but he wasnt around. so still didnt speak to him until the 11th day....You asked about my follow up.. Im not seeing my gyn until 5-20.. 4 weeks post op- but as it happens I am seeing the GYN/onc tomorrow for the second opinion.

My AIS is still considered stage zero...the margins were involved - but no microinvasion. I cannot understand why MD didnt recommend the hysterectomy ...unless he is assuming Im still trying to conceive....He suggested we would do ECC every 3 months. To me- that sounds like waiting for it to get worse......NO???
Anyway- this might be an overshare but what the heck.....MD said no sex 4 weeks.....or until I see him... Its only a week away but Im thinking Im in the clear now.. I have read that some here barely waited a week!

Old 05-12-2008, 07:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Got My Pathology Report

Nikka, I'm glad to know you are doing well and that you have the appointment with the onco. He/she can clear you for "activities", too you know. I felt SOoooo much better after my appointment with the gyn/onco. She answered so many questions.

Let your onco know where you are in the trying-to-conceive realm of things. It is possible your gyn thought you were still trying, therefore he/she didn't suggest the hysterectomy yet.

Quote:
. I have read that some here barely waited a week!
:scared: YIKES! We waited 3 weeks I think and we took it carefully. It was a bit tender.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:47 AM   #9
(female)

NikkaBlu HB User

...Onc was a HE... I liked him though- he concurred with my original thoughts to repeat the cone. He said that we should repeat the cone to try to get the clear margin.... If we get it.. then I have a window to go to fertility and get help conceiving... but that I should not wait more than 1 yr..
and that I will have to have the hysterectomy....but still have to see my gyn on Tuesday and fill him in..... see if he thinks this is a good plan as well.
but if fertilty was not my concern then he would recommend hyster, sooner than later....
So.... onward we march..............

Old 05-16-2008, 04:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I wish you the best of news and spirits, Nikka! When I saw how you signed your post

Quote:
So.... onward we march..............
I thought" onward we march . . . together with those who have gone before us and will come after us.

Best of spirits, Nikka!

Closed Thread