It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Update on "which doctor" situation

I had my cold knife cone almost 2 weeks ago. I was scheduled to go to the gyn after 2 weeks for a post operation follow up and to get pathology reports. Last Friday (4 days ago, only 7 days post-cone), I called the gyn's office and got the Cliff Notes version of the report (cervical adenocarcinoma 1a1).

Over the weekend I kept thinking about how/when I'd start looking for an oncologist. I decided (partially from what you ladies here have said) to go ahead and start calling. So, yesterday I started calling around town to get a feel for the different gyn/onco's in town. There are only 4, and one isn't taking new patients. One was ok, couldn't get the other, and I left a message with the 3rd one. The doctor's nurse called me back and left a message, and today I called HER back. I only talked with the nurse, but I was impressed. I expected to talk with the office staff (scheduling and billing), not the actual nurse. And she was kind, helpful, and encouraging.

The nurse gave me about 30 mintues of her time. After talking a while it sounded like she had a sudden realization of who I was so she verified my name and said the doctor already had the slides, pathology info etc. (Last Friday, my gyn said she'd sent my slides, path report, etc to an onco, and gyn would tell me what the onco said when we met on Friday). I was glad that this doctor is already acquainted with my case before I even get to her office. Matter of fact, they're sending my slides to be read AGAIN, just to make sure.

I went ahead and scheduled with the onco for Friday and then cancelled with the gyn (the appointments would have been at almost the same time - only 30 minutes apart when it would take that long to travel between the 2 offices, much less talking).

So, I'm going to the onco on Friday. I was really calm the first 4 or 5 days after hearing 1a1. Now I'm crying several times a day and becoming really emotionally taxed. My list of questions is growing verrrry long.

Anyway, I'm glad I don't have to wait longer to get to the oncologist. I am also hopeful the doctor is going to meet my needs (cancer-wise and knowledge-wise). The nurse described the doctor as a "mother hen, she'll take good care of you." What a great visual image! I need some mothering and being taken care of right now!

I feel like I'm rambling, I hope this makes sense. The bottom line is I am going to the onco to get the pathology results back AND to discuss treatment plan (I'm assuming). She will do an exam, so I guess she can do my post-op/cone exam/check. I also figure we'll set a surgery date, too. THAT scares me!

Last edited by mod_007; 04-15-2008 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Not editted - tried (unsuccessfully) to merge with original thread

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User
Re: Update on "which doctor" situation

I'm glad you're going to see an oncologist. An oncologist is really the most qualified to deal with any type of cancer issues.

I know how stressful this all can be. Just try to relax and get your mind off of everything (easier said than done, I know.)

Good luck with everything and lots of hugs.

Lisa

Old 04-16-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Update on "which doctor" situation

Thank you Sashi. The more I think about it, the more pleased I am with the decision to go to the oncologist. I don't expect Friday's appointment to be easy, but I expect to be pleased with the results. I anticipate kindness and compassion from the doctor and her office staff.

Closed Thread