It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
(female)

Quirk HB User
Arrow Abnormal PAP.... does that make me "at risk?" does this also mean i can't take BC???

so i'm starting to consider taking birth control, specifically YAZ. when i went on the website, people shouldn't take it who are "at risk" for cervical cancer. well, i have had HPV for awhile, but only had my first abnormal pap a few months ago. i actually have a follow-up pap (from my colpop) next week, so i'm hoping it will come back normal *cross your fingers!*

my question is, does anyone out there with cervical cancer, or at risk for cervical cancer, take birth control??? does anyone find that birth control contributed to any cervical problems you may have had??? (am i even considered "at risk" for cervical cancer?!?) i don't really like messing with my body with unnatural things, but i'm just considering this option....

any input would be helpful

Old 04-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
(female)

cook82 HB Usercook82 HB User
Re: Abnormal PAP.... does that make me "at risk?" does this also mean i can't take BC

do you have the results of your pap besides it just being abnormal? Abnormal can mean anything from a little infection to full blown cancer. Also were you HPV positive for low or high risk strains? The problem with BC pills is that women free themselves from using barrier methods which protect them from STD's of all kinds and STD's in turn predispose you to cervical cancer.

My advice is talk with you doctor about this. Get all the info you can about your current condition. He/she should be able to guide you as to what is the safest course of action in your case.

Good luck!!
Marie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #3
(female)

mizzmommy79 HB User
Re: Abnormal PAP.... does that make me "at risk?" does this also mean i can't take BC

First of all, hope evrything goes very well for you for your follow up pap. I myself have been dealing with abnormal paps, and procedures for almost a year now, and its been scary and a pain really. As for the BC question, my ObGyn never mentioned the BC issue....in fact they were more concerned that I stuck to my BC schedule. With the chance of pregnancy, certain procedures that you may have to go thru down the road, would be more difficult...or more likely put on hold if you were to become pregnant. Definitely discuss with your doctor, but if you do choose to start BC, and you dont plan on becoming pregnant soon, it would definitely give you more time and opportunity for the treatment you need....instead of putting it on hold and waiting until after pregnancy. Good luck, hope this helps some....and my prayers will be with you

Old 04-18-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirk View Post
so i'm starting to consider taking birth control, specifically YAZ. when i went on the website, people shouldn't take it who are "at risk" for cervical cancer. well, i have had HPV for awhile, but only had my first abnormal pap a few months ago. i actually have a follow-up pap (from my colpop) next week, so i'm hoping it will come back normal *cross your fingers!*
Is your HPV low risk or high risk? That makes a difference, I think.

I dont' know anything about the BCPs, but I *do* have experience with positive HPV (high risk). And I tell you my story to share my experience, not to scare you.

My paps have always come back clear/good. In December my doctor (a general physcian) did my pap and for the first time she added on the HPV/DNA test. It came back positive for high risk HPV. She sent me to a gynecologist who did a colposcopy. That was clear, so just for good measure she did an endocervical curettage (ECC) (scraping the cervical canal). THAT is where they found adenocarcinoma in situ. From there, I had a cone biopsy. That's where they found adencarcinoma Ia1. This is a very low grade of cancer, and treatment is a hysterectomy (uterus and cervix only). I am planning on a hysterectomy in June. I actually feel blessed that my doctors ran the tests which are making me have the hysterectomy.

I saw a gynecological oncologist today. She said, most likely, in 1 year I'd be symptomatic and be looking at a radical hysterectomy and possibly other treatments. So, my advice to you is to get your doctors to follow up on the positive HPV results (especially if it is high risk). And ask for your pathology reports.

Like I said, my doctors just happened upon my cancer because they looked a little further. I encourage you to encourage your doctors to do the same.

Closed Thread