It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008, 12:19 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

xtattooX HB User
Unhappy Cone Biopsy-REALLY Need Some Comforting

Hey All- I'm 23 going to be 24 the day before my scheduled cone biopsy...and like many before they had the procedure, I'm a nervous wreck. Not so much concerned with the actual surgery but more or less the " going under " part and the pain that may occur afterwards...but that which is weighing heavily on my mind is the general anethestia, sooo great knowing I'm going into a "controlled coma" if you will. So anyway, what have your experiences with going completely under been like? Do I have to have "general" or can I have twilight or are they basically the same? Also were any of you sick, or immobile in anyway after? Will I be scared when I wake up, and not that I would know if it happened...but how great is the chance I might not wake up...I'm assuming not a very great one being that millions have surgery every day... and now that my surgery is closer I'm more anxious, and probably over-paranoid...but when they're going to put me under and supress all of my bodys protective defenses, should I not be a little concerned? I don't know, maybe if you all could share your experiences with me, I could perhaps feel a little more at ease....thank you all for your time.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:12 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User
Re: Cone Biopsy-REALLY Need Some Comforting

Hi,

I didn't have a cone procedure, but I did have laser surgery for cervical carcinoma in situ (cancer which hasn't spread.) I know how nerve-wracking this all can be, but believe me, the anesthesia part is nothing.

I've had a total of seven surgeries or procedures where I was "put to sleep". (Actually, two of those were twilight sleep, but I wish they'd just gone ahead and put me totally to sleep.)

Before my first surgery, like you, I was scared to death at the thoughts of general anesthesia. I think the main part of that fear was the fear of the unknown. However, my fears were groundless, and after that surgery, I was never afraid of anesthesia again. In fact, the best part of any of my surgeries was getting several hours of uninterrupted sleep!

With all of my surgeries, they gave me something to calm me down and make me sleepy right before going into the OR. Then I was taken to the OR and they had me slide over onto the operating table. A nurse wrapped me up in a nice warm blanket (those operating rooms are freezing!) Then she'd put an oxygen mask over my mouth and nose. The anesthesiologist would be there, usually joking around with me. He'd tell me that I was going to have a nice sleep, then he'd start the medication through my IV. I'd blink my eyes a few time, then what seemed like the next second, I'd open my eyes and I'd be in the recovery room. I never knew anything that happened in between at all, and didn't care. It literally seemed that one minute I'd be in the OR, the next in recovery.

I wasn't scared when I woke up, and for the laser surgery, I had no pain at all, just a little very mild discomfort for the first day. I do have a tendency to get sick with anesthesia, but they usually give me something that helps prevent that.

Trust me, once you get through it, you'll wonder what you were ever afraid of.

Good luck and big hugs,

Lisa

Last edited by Shshi; 04-19-2008 at 07:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2008, 08:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

xtattooedhandsx, everyone is different. You know that (I'm sure), but it is very true.

I had my cone biopsy 15 days ago. I've also had 5 surgeries, 4 were general anesthesia (1 was twilight). The cone took my doctor just over 35 minutes. The only problem I had coming out of it was a little pain (which they immediately injected me with something) and nausea (which they also injected me with stuff). I was groggy, but I expected that. I was able to get out of bed to go to the restroom within 2 hours of coming out of surgery. I went home within an hour of that. I slept most of that day.

My longest surgery, about 6 hours, was more difficult coming out of, but I figure that was more from the duration than just because I had general anesthesia.

Going under is a bit scary, I won't lie. But for this procedure you'll be in and out of the OR. While you are in there you are hooked up to all kinds of monitors, heart, breath, temperature, etc. They are watching EVERYTHING (ok, almost everything).

Take a few deep breaths. I'm sure you'll be fine. Please report back afterwards, ok?

Old 04-19-2008, 11:17 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

xtattooX HB User
Post Re: Cone Biopsy-REALLY Need Some Comforting

Thanks Pickle and Shashi for replying...Although, I'm sure its hard to answer a question that is indeed different for everyone, just knowing that you all have done it and you're here to talk about it makes me kinda just let the whole "what if I don't wake up thing" roll off my shoulders...because when it boils down to it, I think really that's the only thing that is bothering me about this whole ordeal. Well, the possibility of not being able to concieve, kinda ate my heart out, but looking at it from a distance, do I want to potentially develop cancer, or do I want kids?....Hmm...think I'll have to skip out on kids, lots of babies need to be adopted anyhow. I just can't wait until its over, and I'm awake, and on my way home. I most certainly will keep you all posted...the surgery date is 04/22/08. Wish me luck!
-xtattooedhandsx-

Last edited by mod_007; 04-19-2008 at 11:13 PM. Reason: replaced an abbreviation

Old 04-20-2008, 06:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

xtattooedhandsx, I certainly wish you luck and peace of mind!

Old 04-20-2008, 08:52 AM   #6
(female)

BE 123 HB User

I don't think there's much you can do to "prepare" because you don't know which anesthetic you're sensitive to, if any. Personally I think the worst is the nausea. So if this happens, and I hope it doesn't, ask for a copy of which anesthetic they used and in what doses for future reference (hopefully you won't need it again but it's there if you do).

Maybe you can chat with your anesthesiologist in advance if you're concerned? I did during the few minutes before I went under.

You are very young to go through this, though it sucks at any age. Good luck.

Oh, I just realized I barely answered any of your questions. General is riskier because you are put all the way under, so if you're worried about it, ask for twilight--though I have to say for a cone I'm not sure many doctors allow twilight.

I had trouble waking up from it and could hear but not respond. But the worst was the nausea. They have pills for that, but they caused me to be so constipated the first time so at my second procedure I told them to go easier on the anesthetic and skipped the pills.

Last edited by BE 123; 04-20-2008 at 09:02 AM.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User

[QUOTE=xtattooedhandsx;3537313]Hey All- I'm 23 going to be 24 the day before my scheduled cone biopsy...and like many before they had the procedure, I'm a nervous wreck.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I've never had this procedure but I have had many surgeries. Please stay in touch.

Nadine

Old 04-28-2008, 04:33 PM   #8
(female)

mandy14 HB User

Hi I'm guessing you have already had your Cone Biopsy done. But I thought I would post a message anyway, and say hope your doing ok.
Here in Australia, they don't seem to do Cone Biopsies as much there. I had a LLETZ procedure done after having a biopsy done with local anaesthetic. I can tell you the LLETZ was done to remove the CIN III, which meant they cut away the area form my cervix. I would of preferred to be put under general anaesthetic, because having a local in the cervix was awful.
So I hope you on the road to recovery. I'm only new on here, and still catching up on the board, so I apologise if ive missed other messages from you.
Take care

Last edited by mod_007; 04-28-2008 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Not deleted this time, but what is LLETZ - please see sticky re posting abbreviations

Closed Thread