It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
(female)

mommyandwifey HB User
What cervical changes does low risk HPV cause???

Since I got sucked into this world of abnormal paps, I've been doing endless internet research on many things related to the cervix and abnormalities. However, most information out there associates High Risk HPV to cervical changes, precancerous and cancerous conditions. But what about those of us that have tested multiple times and have been negative for high risk HPV? I'm told low risk HPV (which supposedly is not included in the HPV test panel) can also cause cervical changes....it's just these changes usually don't progress to cancer. So what kinds of cervical changes can low risk HPV cause. Another thought, I've read a few posts in which women were negative for HR HPV but they were CINIII or greater. I wonder if there are some 'low risk strains" that should be shifted to the "high risk" side. In other words I wonder if these women are in fact negative for the typical HR strains of HPV but positive for low risk. They are then told to "watch and wait" thus giving these supposedly "low risk" strains time to wreck havoc and grow. I don't know...I'm just venting I suppose...it's just that there is alot of conflicting information out here. Please share your thoughts?

Old 04-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #2
(female)

magnj HB User
Re: What cervical changes does low risk HPV cause???

My answer is....you've never known. CIN3 is still possible. (I have CIN3, HPV negative on the most recent pap)

I also read some article saying " CIN1 to CIN2" changes are not very clear on the pathology finding.....what they said is even though your biopsy report saying you have CIN3, you may actually have CIN1 or 2....or the other way around.

I had colop/biopsy done by the end of Oct last year, the result is LGSIL
(what a relief....but...look what's coming the next...)
1/21/08 pap, the result is HGSIL (CIN2), HPV negative
3/21/08 leep, CIN3.

They said from CIN1 to progress to cancer is a long process (takes years).....but in my case, CIN1 to CIN2 not even in 3 months, another 2 months -CIN3.

Is there anyone who can explain how the pathologist differetial from CIN1 to CIN3? Do they have cell counts or they just see by their eyes under micro (of course)?

Dear mommyandwifey, I hope I didn't scare you too much , but get a good gyno and close monitor your "cell changes".....hey, when did you have your latest pregnancy?(it plays a role in my case)....,eat healthy/ plenty of sleep (spend too much endless nights of this topic will not help your immune sys)

Keep us update

Magnj

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
(female)

mommyandwifey HB User

Magnj-

Thanks for your reply. Your situation is interesting. When you originally had your pap back in Oct...what was your HPV status? Have you ever tested positive for HPV at any time? Is it possible that you had HPV originally, it caused the changes but then the virus went away/dormant? I apologize if this is a naive question....I'm just trying to get my arms around this "new world". While it is interesting, I have heard of other cases where HPV was negative but the patient ended up with dysplasia. My GYN (2nd opinion Dr) wouldn't even accept as true my first or second negative HPV tests taken June 07 and October 07. When I returned in March 08 she said "well I finally believe you're negative". That was the third test. But since the PAP was still reading ASCUS, she wanted to colpo me which came back showing abnormal cell changes but no dysplasia (LSIL, HSIL) and again no HPV changes. So then if no HPV then what's causing the changes....well I'm told it could by low risk HPV which supposedly can cause changes but not dysplasia. UUGGGGHHHH...don't know what to think.

You are soooo right. As much as I appreciate this board for its support, I read so much that every time I read a horror story, I absorb it as my own. Then my mind just starts thinking all sorts of stuff like am I going to be here for my two little ones? Can my husband handle them without me? What will their holidays be like. Then I can't sleep or I wake up extra early. That kind of stress certainly isn't helping so I've tried to limit my time here some days.

So anyway, what is next for you? Do you repeat the leep? You've probably said in some of your posts so I'll check there as well.

In the meantime, Take care and again thanks for your reply.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:44 AM   #4
(female)

magnj HB User

Hey Mommyandwifey, you didn't answer my question.....when is your last pregnancy? how old are your two little ones? (mine are 4 yrs and 20 mons, I am 39)

I've got ASCUS after my first born....and it got worst after my second son.(ASC-can't exclude HGSIL)

I've never been tested HPV negative before (Never ONCE positive in my life). It is a little hard to swallow for me when everyone is talking about HPV virus cause cervical desplasia. I am none-smoker...very healthy....no family history of cervical/ovarian cancer. 1 LEEP this March .(no more I hope)

If I can explain why I stay where I am now....
1 conclusion-
HR HPV usually active in the first 2 years then becomes inactive after all.....it is possible I might have this virus ten years ago (it is too hard to trace where/when I got), and been attacked after my pregnancy ( low immune sys).

2nd coclusion-
I am not very convinced about my CIN3. As I said before, CIN1-CIN3 is not very significant in pathology findings. I am more appreicated if the pathologist could give me some more hard evidence (rather then only seeing by their eyes).

I don't think you should worry at this point......the best thing of this is learning and having much healthier life style for us and our family.

another mommyandwifey,
Magnj

Last edited by magnj; 04-23-2008 at 11:31 AM.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
(female)

mommyandwifey HB User

Sorry I didn't answer your question. My oldest is 7 and my youngest is 4 (2003) so it doesn't seem the pregnancies triggered this. I had a normal pap post birth in 03 and continued until 6/07 when I got the first ASCUS neg HPV. My theory of mine is that I might have the low risk HPV strain which is causing changes on the cervix. Then I hear stories like yours where the patient tested neg HPV but ended up with dysplasia. Although in looking at some of your other posts, it seems one of your colpos (i think) mentioned the presense of HPV. Hmmmm...confusing.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
(female)

magnj HB User

Yes, it is confusing.....what I can say is, it does show HPV infection on my Pathology report (LEEP)......but couldn't find on the DNA HR HPV pap test (ThinPrep).

One of my gynos said I may have a low strains or a high risk type which they haven't identified (more confusing ).....since this HPV virus is a new thing in the recent years.

Again, this still should not applied to your situation. Your just a little abnomal cells changed not even "low grade" yet.

Closed Thread