It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
(female)

gwen75 HB User
Still waiting...working on the patiently part!

I went last week for a PAP. I have not had one for about 6 yrs, and the last was abnormal. (I got pregnant shortly after) After having some pretty bad problems, I bit the bullet and scheduled this PAP. My dr. found several lesions, and biopsied them. I am now waiting for the report on that. I am going nuts! I feel like my head is in a cloud - I am making incredibly stupid mistakes at work and home. I am to the point where I just want to know what is going on, and deal with it. If I had not been having pain and abnormal bleeding, I would not be so concerned. If my bladder gets too full, I have pain like bad menstrual cramps for several hours afterwards. I am about to become one of those people that make nurses screen calls - is it there yet? Yet? Yet? Now? I have not discussed this with anyone around me - I needed to blow off some anxiety. Thanks so much & the best to you all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

xtattooX HB User
Re: Still waiting...working on the patiently part!

Aw Gwen sweetheart, I know exactly what you are going through...I had my first pap when I was 16...and not again until I was 23, and my general doctor did one, just because I hadn't had one in so long, ya know...and the doctor's nurse called me to come in to speak with her when the results came in ( my doc was out sick), and she told me my pap was abnormal, but could not elaborate on the severity of it. I started crying and blubbering non stop in the doctors office it was at least an hour before I could pull myself together enough to get the hell out of there. Anyway, the nurse had made a big mistake in that she should of let the doc speak with me, and needless to say she got into some pretty big trouble, but my point is you have every right to feel like you do, if you wanna call the doc repeatedly about something that concerns your body, by all means do it, but also be realistic about the fact that tests they conduct do take time to come in. I know how sickening it can be to have to wait, but at least knowing and taking action to know is better than having done nothing at all, and if they do find something out of the ordinary, I'm sure they will call you right away.

So take a deep breath doll, I've been through the abnormal paps, colposcopy, and just yesterday I had a cone biopsy, and I too am playing the waiting game with the results of that cone biopsy and believe me I know it totally sucks...but I feel better knowing that if they do find something, hopefully they'll find it early, so it doesn't end up turning into something worse.

I wish you the best of luck...and stay in touch on here.
xtattooedhandsx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
(female)

mommyandwifey HB User

Gwen,

I concur...waiting is the hardest. Sometimes it seems time is the worst enemy due to the stress. This board helps pass the time. As for the exam...better late than never so don't beat yourself up...you're taking control now! We'll be here to wait it out together.

As useless as it sounds...try to keep busy and keep your mind occupied! Take care.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
(female)

gwen75 HB User

I am even more conused, although considerably relieved. I got a call from the drs office today - telling me my PAP had come back normal. When I asked about the biopsy, they told me those results are not back yet. If the PAP is normal, what on earth are the lesions? Don't get me wrong, I am so happy to hear I had a normal PAP - I feel like I can think straight for the first time in a week. Still curious though. Anyone out there ever have this?

Old 04-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #5
(female)

BE 123 HB User

Paps are not as accurate as a colpo and biopsies. Possible situations include 1) pap missing the lesions, 2) pap underread, 3) lesions are benign--acetowhite doesn't necessarily spell bad news, though it often does.

I would wait for the biopsies to come back before drawing any conclusions.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
(female)

mommyandwifey HB User

A couple of questions...when you went for the pap, are you saying he also did a colposcopy and that's how he saw the lesions? Did he say how many biopsies he took? When you speak with the Dr's office I would also be curious and ask about your HPV status. I'm sure they would've ordered an HPV test as well. A pap is a screening tool only...it's not necessarily diagnostic so the biopsies will be more accurate. Best wishes that the biopsy supports the pap and when it does...PAPS EVERY YEAR.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:25 AM   #7
(female)

gwen75 HB User

I have no idea where the lesions were! The dr inserted the speculum, and about 10 seconds later announced she saw a lesion. The nurse peeked, (don't you just love that) and stated that she actually saw a couple. They then proceeded to discuss whether or not they could biopsy them right then. Yes, it was decided, with an alligator claw?!? (Also something you really want to hear while in stir-ups - talk about just about coming up off the table!) I think I am most concerned about all the things we have NOT discussed - the ongoing discharge. No odor,no itching etc, just always a problem. The pain - if I cough too hard, pull just right, turn over wrong in bed, I am in trouble. If I let my bladder get too full. The occasional bleeding after sex. A little curious about all of that. I am definately waiting to hear on the biopsy - from what I have been able to read, lesions are not just one of those things that just happen. There is generally a cause, yes?

Old 04-24-2008, 07:35 AM   #8
(female)

mommyandwifey HB User

The lesions could be anything. From what I'm reading, they saw them with the naked eye...not from colposcopy which I originally thought. They could be warts which is low risk HPV or a number of things or nothing. Did he talk about what he thought of them? I'd wait for the biopsy and I'd ask for the HPV results. You'll be in a better position to determine how you should proceed. Perhaps the "lesions" the Dr saw explains the discharge, bleeding, pain etc. Keep in touch and let us know. The good news is the PAP is normal...hold on to that for now...even that would be news to my ears right now!

Closed Thread