It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
(female)

albiesgirl HB User
What is it?

Today I went to my Dr. and she said I have a complex ovarian cyst. What is it and need I worry or just wait till August for my next pap.

Thanks,

J

Old 04-27-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User
Re: What is it?

Hi,

I'm sorry no one has answered your question sooner. I meant to reply the other day, but something came up and I never got back over here.

There are many different types of ovarian cysts. Cysts are usually fluid-filled "blisters" on your ovaries. Every month, a cyst forms and releases the egg for fertilization. The cyst then re-absorbs into the ovaries.

Sometimes the cyst continues to grow and does not re-absorb. If that happens, it can cause problems. A functional cyst is one which is usually fluid filled and will usually disappear on its own.

A complex cyst can have solid components to it or have multiple chambers or other abnormalities. There is a slightly higher chance of cancer with a complex cyst, though most are usually benign.

Complex cysts can usually disappear on their own, though sometimes they don't. If they cause pain or other problems, medications may help dissolve the cyst, though sometimes the cyst or the ovary will have to be removed. Your doctor will usually monitor the cyst for a few months to be sure it's not causing problems, so you could probably wait until August to get it checked again, unless you start having problems from it, such as pain, bloating, nausea, constipation/diarrhea, etc.

I had a 4-cm complex solid ovarian cyst on my right ovary which was causing all the symptoms of ovarian cancer. I had both of my ovaries removed in December, and have had no problems since. (The cyst was benign.)

Good luck and hugs,

Lisa

Last edited by Shshi; 04-27-2008 at 10:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
(female)

mandy14 HB User

Hi, dont stress about waiting till August, easier said than done i know.
I've had many cysts, I have a 2cm one now which will be checked again in 3 months to see what its doing. I had one removed years ago while i was 20 weeks pregnant. What a huge stress that was. The Dr was concerned because it had been present for so long, and kept growing. He was worried about it bursting (being pregnant) and also just to make sure it wasn't anything sinister. It had grown to 12cmx7cmx5cm. It was just a fluid cyst.
I've had others that have disappeared on their own.
Some people are more proned to getting them. Sometimes they put you on the pill to stop them. The pill doesn't stop them for me though.
I'm sure you will be fine, just keep you chin up and keep positive.
Mandy14

Old 04-27-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

I'm glad you asked this question. I was wondering about complex cysts, too. Looksl ike you got some good answers.

Closed Thread