It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
(female)

divasemmons33 HB User
Unhappy leep & seasonique questions

I started taking seasonique a month and a half ago. I have been having heaving bleeding with cramping at the same time every day since I have started the pill. It last for about 4 hours then stops. I called the doctor and they said that it will be like this thru the first 3 months...and that I have to stay on them at least thru the first 3 month pack before they can switch me to something else..yes I have been taking them at the same time everyday...even the dr said I am doing what I am supposed to do.

My first question is did any one else go thru this and did it get better or did the dr end up switching you to another pill/on a side note a month and a half ago I had a pap which indicated I needed a coloscopy.

After the coloscopy the dr recommended that I have a leep due to abnormal cells so the leep was performed last week thurs, in the meanwhile the dr stated that there was no cancer showing based on the pap and the coloscopy.So of couse along with the bleeding from the BC, I have the bleeding,clotting and cramping from the leep.

I called the dr and they stated that all this is normal.Based on what I have read online it is obvious I am not as informed as I should be. My follow up appt is next thurs, which I am guessing he will give me the results from the leep...what questions should I ask him?

So my question is 2 fold a) any one have any answers regarding the seasoninque pill and b) what questions should I ask regarding the leep results...I feel so stupid that I have let this happen and was not really informed at all. Just very upset and confused at this point any info anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by mod_007; 04-24-2008 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Inserting paragraphs and querying BC abbreviation if this is for Breast Cancer, please use relevant board.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
(female)

mommyandwifey HB User
Re: leep & seasonique questions

Hi there,

Warning- LONG

Sorry for the delay. I do not have experience with the birth control pills so I can not comment on that. For that matter I haven't had leep either so take my questions/ comments with a grain of salt. I do however have experience with abnormal paps and what the various paths can be. Based on what I've learned or been told, I'm a little confused by your post. So here it goes..

The original pap that came back abnormal...what were the results...was it ASCUS, Mild dysplasia aka CINI, Moderate dysplasia, severe dysplasia etc? It reads as if the colpo was normal yet the Dr proceeded to leep ??? What is your HPV status...negative or positive? The fact that he did the LEEP leads me to believe there was some level of dysplasia and your HPV was positive??? I'd get clear on what was going on. Now that the Leep is complete, obviously wait for the results to see what was going on. Hopefully the leep was successful at removing all of the abnormalities. From there, you will probably be on a 3 month or 6 month repeat pap plan until you get 2 consecutive NORMAL paps at which point you may be able to return to annual paps. During your wait, I would get do a little research to become familiar with the standard protocols for managing this. I say this because YOU will be your best advocate. Dr's are great but you have to push a bit too. For example my original DR told me to come back in a year because ASCUS with 2 neg HPV test was the equivalent of normal. Well ASCUS is NOT NORMAL to me...NORMAL IS NORMAL so I was not at all comfortable with waiting to f/u on this for 1 year. So I sought out another DR. While she said his plan was appropriate per medical guidelines, she commented that she is a bit more conservative than the guidelines. So she had me return in 6 mos. At that time she did a colpo. My results show mild atypia so I just wait for another 6 mos. Some would argue that the original Dr. was essentially right but guess what ...I needed to know for ME. Mentally this was tearing me apart...I couldn't focus...my mind would wonder and think the worst. For me I appreciated her more conservative approach.

So read and research, push the DR when you need to push, seek out support as you have and understand YOU ARE YOUR VERY BEST ADVOCATE. This may be a Dr's job but this is your LIFE! Find a Dr you trust but be an active participant in your care plan. Take care!

Last edited by mod_007; 04-25-2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Not editted, but please read and follow the abbreviation guidelines in the sticky for future posts - thanks

Old 04-25-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User
Re: leep & seasonique questions

My doctor didn't refused to prescribe any birth control for me after my LEEP. He said the hormones can cause the problem to become worse. You may want to ask your doctor about this.

As far as LEEP results go, if you don't understand him/her don't feel stupid for asking them to put it in more "simple" terms. Sometimes it can be a lot to take in and I don't always understand all the termanology my doctor gives me. Luckily I have a very good relationship with him so I am very comfortable telling him I need a better explanation.

I also agree with mommyandwifey, you need to know your dysplasia grade (mild, moderate, severe) and your HPV status. These do play a factor. I also agree with everything else she had to say. Educate yourself and if you are not comfortable with your doctor do not hesitate to "shop around". Being comfortable is very important, this is your health your talking about.

Closed Thread