It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
(female)

WannaBpainFree HB User
pap smear and ultrasound results

ultrasound results - my uterus is 8.3 x 7.6 x 12.2 its not in normal shape, large mass at 6.4 x 6.5 x 7.0 right ovary 2.8 x 2.2 x 2.9 multiple cysts ,largest 1.0 left ovary 1.8 x 2.1 small follicles . enodometrial lining 2cm abnormal, (in that it is pushed to the left)

pap results - epithelial cell abormality atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance . satisfactory for evaluation. endocervical and/or squamous metaplastic cells (endocervical component) are present.

hpv results: hpv , high-risk - POSITIVE
this high risk hpv test dects thirteen high risk types (16/18/31/33/35/39/45/51/52/56/58/59/68) with out differentiation.

sorry i know i probley just confused the heck out of yall. i know i am confused myself . now i am just waiting on my endometrial biopsy results and waiting on my colposcopy test. on my pap test results about the hpv are they saying i have that or im at high risk for it ? and if i do have that hpv how in the world did i get it . ive been with my husband for 8 yrs and we have been faithful to one another , i prob need to do my research on that one !!!

Old 04-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #2
(female)

mommyandwifey HB User
Re: pap smear and ultrasound results

I should preference this by saying I am no expert so I'm only sharing my opinions based on my abnormal PAP. I won't comment on the uterus and ovary portion because I simply don't have experience there.

The PAP result was ASCUS (atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance). ASCUS is the mildest form of abnormality. The levels are Normal, ASCUS, Low grade dysplasia (CIN I), Moderate dysplasia, severe dysplasia, Carcinoma in situ (CIS) and Cancer of the cervix. So, ASCUS is the mildest form. That said, the significance of the abnormality is Undetermined thus the US in ASCUS. Now, this is where HPV status comes in. In my case I was HPV negative and so they had me repeat the pap at 3 mos. Again I was ASCUS HPV neg. I repeated at 6 mos--again ASCUS w/ HPV neg. So originally they watched it but by the third ASCUS, DR wanted a closer look via colposcopy. In your case, you are HPV positive so they will likely go straight to colposcopy to determine the significance (i.e. mild abnormality or dysplasia- pre cancerous abnormality) . Once that's determined, they decide how to proceed. My understanding is for anything CIN1 and below (i.e. atypia), they watch but for anything higher they go to Leep, freezing etc to removal the abnormality. Now, because of the positive HPV test, they may not wait and watch at CIN 1.

Now on to how you got HPV. The vast majority of sexually active adults have or have had HPV. As I said above I tested negative BUT that was negative for HIGH RISK HPV...I could still be positive for low risk (non cancerous causing) HPV. Some people fight off the virus over the course of a year or two. Others, those over 30, may have a slightly more difficult time fighting it off. This is not necessarily a case of infidelity. You and/or your husband could have been infected long before you met. This virus could have laid dormant for years and is now wrecking havoc. The bottom line is you have no way of determining how you got it nor who gave it to you...unless you were both virgins before. I would recommend not wasting energy and risk a feud over something you simply can not prove. Right now I'd recommend that you focus on getting the uterus/ cervical issues resolved.

After all of that I should add (partly for you and reassurance for myself), I'm told that cervical cancer/ dysplasia is a very slow progressing disease although I'm sure there are stories out there of people who progressed quickly. There are many opportunities to catch it at the pre cancerous stages (i.e CIN I, CIN II, CINIII) and even at the CIS (Carcinoma In situ which means it hasn't spread--It means cancer in its place). These are all treatable stages.... THE MOST IMPORTANT PART IS FOLLOW UP THOUGH....YOU MUST KEEP UP WITH PAPS, DR APPTS ETC. Sorry for the long response. hope it helps and hopefully someone will chime in on the uterus/ ovarian portion. I'm sure your DR will look at all the issues in total to determine the best plan for you. Keep in touch!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Mommy has given you some great advice. I'm not going to repeat anything she said. I *do* want to add a bit to her last paragraph. I am only talking from my personal experience and what I've read.

There are 2 types of cells in the cervix: squamous cells and glandular cells. Squamous cells are closer to the vagina. Glandular cells are closer to the uterus. Atypical squamous cells can generally be seen and treated from the ectocervix (outside). Glandular cells "hide" in the endocervical canal (inside the donut hole - that's what I call it).

Atypical squamous cells grow from one cell to the next and spread out that way. The atypical squamous cells are slower growing. Most women who have atypical cervical cells have squamous cells.

Atypical glandular cells "skip" over cells. You can have a leision here, then over there, and then in a totally different area all together. They grow faster than squamous cells.

My suggestion is if a doctor is going to do a colposcopy and the diagnosis is high risk HPV, then I HIGHLY suggest asking for an ECC. The endcervical curettage scrapes the inside of the cervix (that donut hole) and scrapes out cells. It can find squamous cells and the elusive glandular cells. It hurts for a few minutes having it done, but it is far far better (my humble opinion) to know if there is a problem in the canal.

I say all of this because I was diagnosed with high risk HPV in January. In March I had my colposcopy and did an ECC. My paps have always come out fine. The colposcopy looked great. She did the ECC just to see if there was anything in the canal (that might give the +HPV diagnosis). BINGO! Adenocarcinoma in situ (CINIII+). I later had a cone biopsy which came back with endocervical adenocarcinioma Ia1. This is one of the lowest stages of cancer. It is treated by only a hysterectomy (uterus and cervix) No chemo, no radiation, no removing ovaries.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:53 AM   #4
(female)

WannaBpainFree HB User

Thank you both , been very helpful . i have a 2cm thickening of my endometrial lining and my doc said its pushed to the left. i know back in 2001 i had an ultrasound and they said my endometrial was 13mm , im just a bit confused whyare they using two differant formats. ( mm, cm ) sorry i probley sound like an idiot right now lol . im scared as to what he might find in my biopsy , now with the pap coming back abnormal . and having sevral tumors in my uterus and them growning pretty fast within a year in half . my doctor was refferring them as too fibroid tumors , now he is just litening them as large masses . anyways i thank you both for listening ,reading and responding . its refreshing knowing that theres alot of women out there who have big hearts !!!!

Old 04-25-2008, 06:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

2cm = 20mm
1.3cm = 13mm
The metric system is base ten. 1cm = 10mm
A dime is about 1mm thick (or the wire of a paper clip). My pinky (measured at the finger tip) is just about 1 cm wide (or 10 dimes thick). That ought to help give you a general idea of the thickness.

Your lining has grown .7cm (or 7mm) since 2001, from what you've said.

I hope that clarifies things. I wish you peace and understanding!

Last edited by Pickle Eyes; 04-25-2008 at 06:20 PM.

Closed Thread