It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008, 08:07 AM   #1
(female)

waymary99 HB User
sex after colposcopy and biopsy

I had a colposcopy and biopsy done on monday. however, my doctor did NOT tell me anything abt what should be avoided after that. then, I had sex on wednesday and was bleeding after the intercourse. i thought that was my period and used tampon. the bleeding was not too much and several hours later that the bleeding stopped. then i did the research about biopsy and realized that intercourse and tampons should be abandoned for few days after that which i didnt know at all. on friday today, i had some cramp pain and very tiny brown discharge. does anyone know if that is normal? or should i call my doctor? Thanks a lot in advance. I am really worried.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2008, 08:14 AM   #2
(female)

WannaBpainFree HB User
Re: sex after colposcopy and biopsy

hello waymary, i had a endometrial biopsy done wed. and they should have told you to reframe from sex up to 2 wks . If they used iodine on you thats probley whats coming out but you never know so if i were you call your doctors office and ask for a nurse and explain to her what all you did and if that is normal . i know im having discharge its yellow though with tinge of blood . i should prob call my doc and ask him about that . best of luck hun ..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #3
(female)

mommyandwifey HB User

I'm told you can have discharge that is similar to coffee grounds. I believe after colpo you can expect bleeding (they've removed small parts of your cervix), cramping (especially if they did the Endocervical Curr) etc. Everyone will be different but it doesn't sound out of the realm of possiblity.

Now...after colpo I was told NOTHING in the vagina for at least 1 full week. No douching, no sex, no tampons etc. My guess is you may have aggravated it a bit by having sex too soon and then using the tampon. Remember with the removal of tissue you essentially have an open wound/scrape. You want to give it a chance to heal before introducing any bacteria or foreign substances thus reducing any chance for infection. You're probably fine but give yourself a chance to heal. If you fill a pad or the cramps are not resolved with motrin then I would call the DR. Also, I wouldn't imagine this should last more than a couple of days. DISCLAIMER- I'm not a Dr. You know You best so if your gut tells you something's just not right...Call the Dr. . Take care!

Old 04-25-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
(female)

waymary99 HB User

mommyandwifey and wannabpainfree, thanks a lot for your replies. I just called the dr's office however she is not there until next next monday. gonna be a long wait.....

Old 04-25-2008, 07:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

These ladies are correct (as I understand the wait after a biopsy before anything goes into the vagina). There are several reasons: 1) pain and swelling; 2) pulling stitches (if any) and/or breaking off scabs too early; 3) infection - there are open wounds (even if tiny) and anything you insert into the vagina can introduce bacteria that can cause an infection.

I am NOT a doctor. I am newly diagnosed cervical cancer patient (stage Ia1) who has had a colposcopy, ECC, and cone biopsy in the last 2 months. I am speaking from experience and what I've read.

Take care of yourself. You need to let yourself heal. I know the waiting is frustrating. Trust me, I KNOW! (had to wait 2 weeks, 3 different times since late December 2007).

Take care of yourself!

Old 04-25-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
(female)

waymary99 HB User

Thanks Pickle eyes for your detailed explanations. how are your treatments going? errr, ya, i got more info here than my dr's office. my laser treatment is scheduled in mid june, so i ll be very careful next time. anyway, i dont know if i need to do anything to prevent the possible infection? or just wait n see.

oh by the way, i read ppl's posting and saw some talk abt the pain from the biopsy. for me its weird, i did not feel anything at all. i didnt even know the biopsy was done.

Last edited by mod_007; 04-25-2008 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Not editted this time, but please follow abbreviation guidelines in sticky - thanks

Old 04-26-2008, 07:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

WayMary99, I would say wait and see/feel. If anything feels weird or discharge is weird, get to the doctor and tell him/her what happened. It is best to be up front and straight forward. One reason I'd wait and see is because if you "do" anything to ward off the infection (I'm thinking douching), then you are doing something else that shouldn't be done. The douching would also send any bacteria further.

I'm doing ok. I'm telling more people about the cancer. Right now, I'm trying to get my house in order so we can move and trying to get school in order to close up my room for the summer. I have plenty to keep my mind busy so I don't drive myself crazy with details and questions.

When I had my colposcopy the doctor didn't take a biopsy of the exocervix. She just did the endocervical scraping (ECC). I sure felt that, but the pain and discomfort was over in less than 2 minutes. Looking back, the pain was worth it to catch the cancer so early (though that diagnosis didn't come until after the next procedure, the cone). You might not have felt the biopsy. It is possible the doctor numbed your cervix before taking the biopsy. But then I've heard the numbing hurts, too (though I don't know how much pain - short/momentary or more).

Let us know how you are doing, ok?

Old 04-26-2008, 10:39 AM   #8
(female)

Steph8681 HB User

I just had my colposcopy/biospy 2 1/2 weeks ago. It was very painful. I had no idea what I was in for until the dr. pulled out her biopsy forceps. The brown stuff they put up you feels like a tampon that has dislodged. The doc told me that nothng was to go up there for a minimum of 5 days afterwards. On the 8th and 9th day my boyfriend and I attempted intercourse. It was very painful and I was really uncomfortable. I haven't tried it since. However, following the procedure I had that brown stuff, mixed with blood coming out for several days. I felt blindsided by what I was in for. It sounds like the same for you. When do you get your results back?

Take care hun, we're here for you.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #9
(female)

waymary99 HB User

hey, thanks steph8681 and pickle eyes for your replies. i do, really apprieciate your words at this helpless point.

i had no bleeding or any pain at all during and after the colposcopy and biopsy at all until bleeding after intercourse. my normal period started yesterday so i m kinda confused if that cramp pain is from my period or the biopsy.

anyway, i ll get my result back in 4-5 weeks, at the end of May. i wonder why it takes so long here. cuz usually it takes 2 weeks isnt it? and my dr would schedule me a laser treatment in mid june for my HSIL.

take care.

Last edited by mod_007; 04-26-2008 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Not editted this time but please read and follow abbreviations sticky for future posts

Old 04-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

If you are anxious about your biopsy results, then I suggest you call the doctor's office and ask for the results. You can even ask for a copy of them. It is your right to have a copy of your medical records and/or biopsy reports. I always call fo results.

Closed Thread