It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
(female)

Steph8681 HB User
I was told I won't be able to have kids...

Hi everyone. I am brand new to this and began to seek this site out after my diagnosis appointment. In Feb. I had an abnormal pap with abnormal squamous cells. I had no clue what that was. I was then referred at "high level" to an OBGYN for a colposcopy/biopsy. Wow was that painful. It looked like a murder scene. After the biospy the dr. told me I was at CIN II. 2 weeks later my biopsy results were in (4/23). The dr. told me that biopsy showed that I was actually at CIN III, not II. She then said the next step (due to my age) would by cryosurgery. She said that most often the next step would be the LEEP but due to my age (24), it would be best for future reproduction if we froze the cervix instead. Following the freeze, I would need a colposcopy every 4 months w/ possible biospies and maybe a cone biopsy. She then told me that I needed to determine if I wanted children. If so, she recommended that I get pregnant within the year following the cryosurgery.

I am really scared. What do you think of this? The dr. believes that I won't be able to have kids if I wait until after all of my treatments. Apparently scar tissue will build and conception will be extremely difficult, even impossible. I do have a long term boyfriend and we are on the cusp of marriage. We also both want kids. This isn't the type of decision you make overnight but I am being forced to make it rather quickly. What do you think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User
Re: I was told I won't be able to have kids...

I think you need a second opinion so you feel more comfortable (or as comfortable as you can in your situation). Having a doctor that you are comfortable with and that you can talk to easily is soooooo important.

I was diagnosed with CIN III when I was pregnant with my 2nd child. I had a LEEP done about 4 months after her birth. My doctor told me 1 or 2 LEEPS (depending on how much is taken) usually won't affect the ability to have a child. Usually, but not always. They can ? (sew the cervix shut, I blanked on the word) to help ensure a healthy pregnancy, but that isn't always fool proof. Of course, a lot of this will depend on how much the doctor feels they need to take as well. Like I said, I had CIN III as well and I had a lot removed right up into the canal and had a cold knife cone done at the same time.

Honestly, there is no harm in getting a second opinion. It is your body and your reproductive health. You should be fully informed of ALL possibilities before making such a decision. It was easy for me because I decided it wasn't worth the risk to have anymore children. My doctor was very blunt with me and told me that if I decided I wanted more children he would have taken a less "aggressive" approach.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
(female)

Alix76 HB User

Steph,
I know exactly how you're feeling.
I've got CINIII and just had my second Leep treatment. The Dr has advised me to start thinking about starting a family now if I want one because a 3rd round of treatment will make it harder to conceive and to carry a baby to term.
I'm only 31 and am in a very secure relationship but we're not ready for a baby yet. Like you I feel I'm being rushed into a decision that I want to make in my own time.
It's just not fair is it? But there's nothing we can do except get on with getting well and looking after ourselves.
Take care and keep me posted on how things go. Don't rush into anything if you're not ready.
Alix
XXX

Old 04-25-2008, 08:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Steph, welcome! I assume you are overwhelmed and confused. Read what you can and start making lists of questions. I always walk in with a typed out list of questions. This helps me not forget anything when I'm sitting there "under pressure."

I can't help you decide about whether to have babies or not. I am 44 and haven't had any. I haven't been on any consistent birth control in 14 years (and at best we use barrier methods). I figure I haven't gotten pregnant because I couldn't.

Back to the issue at hand. I highly recommend you ask your doctor to do an ECC the next time you go for a colposcopy. ECC stands for endocervical curettage. It is a craping of the endocervical canal (I call it the "donut hole). This looks further into the cervix toward the uterus. The colposcope can't see that far in. They are able to sample for "hidden" cells.

I suggest you call your doctor's office back and ask if you can go back in to ask her some of your questions. You can do that. I have. I still had to pay a co-pay, but it was worth it. You can also get a second opinion before having the cryotherapy.

Just as reference, it is possible to have just the cervix removed, have the bottom of hte uterus stitched closed (I can't remember the term either) and have babies (assuming there are no other atypical cells anywhere other than the cervix). This might buy you some time. I believe, if they stitch the bottom of the uterus, then they deliver a baby by C section. I'm not positive though.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know a bit of my history:
December 2007: thin prep Pap and HPV/DNA test (pap came back normal just as it has for 22 years, HPV/DNA test came back positive for high risk DNA)

March 2008: colposcopy with possibly biopsy and possible ECC (colposcopy looked "great" <- doctor's word> so she didn't do an ectocervical biopsy, but she did the ECC "just in case", that came back adenocarcinoma in situ (cinIII/Stage 0)

April 2008: cold knife cone biopsy, another ECC, D&C, endouterine biopsy (ECC and endouterine biopsy are clear, cone biopsy showed endocervical adenocarcinoma Ia1)

June 2008 (in a month and a half) I will have a hysterectomy (uterus and cervix only - leaving the tubes and ovaries and the lymph nodes. No chemo, no radiation.).

I wish you peace, understanding, and health! Let me know if you have any questions! I'll answer them as best I can.
Disclaimer: I am NOT a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. I have just read a lot in the last 3-4 months and want to help those I can.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
(female)

Steph8681 HB User

Thank you so much! All of you are so wonderful. On Friday I called my primary physician to get a referral for a second opinion. I also have an appointment scheduled with my primary doctor to reveiw the diagnosis. I called for the referral appointment but they take 48-72 hrs to call back. grr... My freeze is scheduled for 5/8. I am trying to get a second opinion before then. Additionally, a family friend has been through this and referred me to a doctor in Chico, CA that is amazing with this kind of stuff. I can't tell you how cold my OBGYN is. She lacks compassion and is kind of crude. I told her I was scared and she called me a whoosy. ????? ***? Anyway, I do have more questions Pickle. Each time I call into the Dr.'s office I am greeted by an automated system. I have to press "12" just to talk to a machine. then, the damn receptionist or nurse practitioner calls me back like 4 days later. After relaying my message to them, they talk to the doctor and then call me back to tell me what the doctor said. I am ready to pull my hair out! I want to talk to the doctor, not the receptionist!!!!

Ah, I feel better. Anyway, after my rant: All of you are so brave. I am so happy to have found you. I will keep you informed about future progress. Thanks for all of your input and help.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
(female)

Alix76 HB User

So glad you've found us. We're here to help and we're all in tis nightmare together.
Let me know how you get on.
Take care
Alix
xxx

Old 04-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Have you told them (via the message machine) that you want the doctor to call you back? You also might write to the doctor (snail mail or email) to ask for her to call you. You might also let her know how long it is taking to get calls back from her staff.

edited to add: You deserve having a good doctor who is polite. I wouldn't consider calling a patient a "woosy" polite. One thing I do to "interview" doctors is to see how the office staff treats me. When I call to make my appointment I pay close attention to their attitude toward me, how long it takes to get calls back, etc. I figure the way the office staff treats the patients is reflective of how the doctor is. The attitude filters down, if you ask me. Good luck!

Last edited by Pickle Eyes; 04-26-2008 at 07:17 PM.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:47 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Eyes View Post
You deserve having a good doctor who is polite. I wouldn't consider calling a patient a "woosy" polite. One thing I do to "interview" doctors is to see how the office staff treats me. When I call to make my appointment I pay close attention to their attitude toward me, how long it takes to get calls back, etc. I figure the way the office staff treats the patients is reflective of how the doctor is. The attitude filters down, if you ask me. Good luck!
I have to completely agree here. I had an issue with a female doctor (same practice that my current doctor is in) where she was just so cold and unfeeling. I loved the staff though so I tried out the other doctors. I love the other 3 in the practice and I chose my current doctor out of them. I did have to deal with her again when I gave birth to my daughter, but by then (some 5 years later) she had learned some "bedside manners".

I also wanted to add that I moved an hour away from my doctor and won't even consider switching. I have had to go through enough and I will take an hour drive any day over having to find another doctor I love as much as him.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #9
(female)

Steph8681 HB User

I am in the process of finding another one. I have left a message on the referral line for the new clinic. No call back yet but I am hoping I will find a better, more understanding, and considerate doctor. One thing I have learned though is that our emergency is not their's. Also Pickle, I did request to speak with the dr. and told that she was "too busy." Very unprofessional. It's not like I've done this before so I need some damn guidence from a dr. that does.

Thanks again guys.

Closed Thread