It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
(female)

angela6 HB User
periods after biopsy!!??

i had a colposcopy & a biopsy on 28th april which has come back cin111(again- had leep treatment feb99)and will be having treatment next month(im going on holiday so have to wait till i get back)i stopped taking my pill the day i had the biopsy and was due my period last wednesday but it hasnt come yet and im usually regular.i wondered if anyone else had a period as normal?im scared to do a pregnancy test!the doc wont do the leep if i am pregnant.id appreciate hearing other ladies experiences.sorry to babble on!x

Old 05-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User
Re: periods after biopsy!!??

I've never had a biopsy affect my cycle. I don't know if anyone else has, but it seems highly unlikely it would.

If you have reason to believe you are pregnant than please get the pregnancy test. I know the doctor won't do the LEEP if you are pregnant, but wouldn't it be worse not knowing?

I was pregnant when I was told I had CIN III. I had to wait from Nov. 05 until after I delivered in Jun. 06 to even have the biopsies done to confirm the CIN III pap results. I was scheduled for my LEEP in Sept. 06, but it had to be pushed back when my bloodwork done a week before hand showed I was pregnant again. Unfortunately I miscarried the same week (next day to be exact) and I was able to have the LEEP done in Oct. 06. I haven't had any "relapses" since.

So yes, a pregnancy may not be "ideal" but it's something you can deal with. Please keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

I agree with most of what Happymom said. Take the pregnancy test. Tell the doctor when you go to the appointment that you think it is possible that you are pregnant. It is better to know before they do treatment(s).

There is only thing I disagree with her about; it is possible that a biopsy could effect your periods. Each person is different, so it is possible. The only time I've ever had my period effected by any surgery or procedure was after my uterine fibroid embolization (UFE) (December 2007). I had a period the next two months, then didn't have one for 2 more months, then had another peroid. I think I am gearing up for my next period now. So, it is *possible* for the procedure to affect period changes.

It is far, far better to know if you are pregnant, though.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
(female)

Pepper81 HB User

Pregnancy is always a possibility, even with the most careful of contraceptive choices. You stated that you stopped taking the pill about the end of April. Yes, pregnancy is an option. Although, an alternative could be that your body is adjusting to having natural hormones instead of the synthetic ones from the pills. Just as someone first starting a birth control pill could have periods irregular for several months before they begin to become regular.

The best option I would suggest is to take the test. Taking a pregnancy test is always a worry filled task-especially if you do not want to be pregnant. Think of what would happen if you do not take the test and you find out that you indeed are with child. You have your procedure and if effects the health of the embryo/fetus-is that a risk you are willing to take? Consider the fact that you were regular because you were on a prescription that caused you to be that way by giving you a steady dose of estrogens and progesterones. If you need support ask a close friend to be there for you-or even buy the test for you- to help eliviate stress. I would say the best option is to take the test and at least then you will know what choices you have to make.

I know when I had both of my biopsies done my doctor made me take a pregnancy test before hand to verify I wasn't pregnant, even though I was already aware that I was not. I hope everything turns out ok-in all of your tests. We are all routing for you!!

~*hugs*~

Old 05-19-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper81 View Post
I know when I had both of my biopsies done my doctor made me take a pregnancy test before hand to verify I wasn't pregnant, even though I was already aware that I was not. I hope everything turns out ok-in all of your tests. We are all routing for you!!

~*hugs*~
Mine, too.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #6
(female)

angela6 HB User

just an update girls!!did 2 tests & both were negative.finally got a period which was about 7 weeks late!im going for leep next tuesday under general anaestetic(i may be being melodramatic, but i dont think i could cope with it again if i was awake!)thanks for your advice, i'll keep you posted.x

Closed Thread