It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
(female)

ksc1968 HB Userksc1968 HB User
growing 5.5 cm complex mass on ovary+laproscope fear

Hi ladies,
Just wondering if anyone could lend some info or support. I have a longstanding battle with a complex cyst (possible endometrioma) on my left ovary. I go to my obgyn for a transvaginal ultrasound every 3-6 months (watchful waiting). Anyways, I went in March of this year and it had not grown very much,,,,I ended up going in today for a pain on the other ovary, which turned out to be a simple follicular cyst (im ovulating), and while they were in there they of course checked on the left side and it had grown to over 5.5 cm. (I think it was 4.2cm last time) So now I am faced with a dilemma. My gyn wants to have me come back in 6 weeks and redo ultrasound, and if has not shrunk it needs to come out via laproscopy. My question is this: I always have my ultrasounds on day 5 to 6 of my period and this ultrasound was done during ovulation so can that make a difference? Or will the result be the same on my period? I also am very nervous to do the laproscopy.. I am afraid of the surgical procedure (anesthesia), and then the pain from the CO2 gas they bloat your belly with. My friend said it was unbearable pain and nothing helped. She really scared me! I understand the surgery is the only way to make sure the mass is not cancerous (my ca-125 came back low and normal).
Any of you had a lap and did not suffer too much? Also my gyn is doing a new procedure with a robotic arm instead of typical laproscope, with the robotic arm being easier on your insides because it can move in 360 degrees where the traditional way are just long straight rods that have to move everything around to access the area needed (does that make any sense!) So I welcome any comments on laps, and if anyone knows if there is anything I can do to help shrink a complex endometrioma/cyst I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Kelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2008, 03:36 AM   #2
(female)

mandy14 HB User
Re: growing 5.5 cm complex mass on ovary+laproscope fear

Hi Kelly, Sorry I can't help regarding a Lap, but I did have a cyst removed while I was 20 weeks pregnant. (they weren't sure what exactly it was). It had grown to 12cm x 7cm x 5cm. (odd shape). Unfortunately being pregnant, I couldn't have it removed via a Lap, and have a midline cut.
I think no matter what, concentrate on the positive of having it removed and knowing what kind it is. I know it is scary, especially when not knowing what to expect. I am sure some other lovely ladies will be able to give you advice on a Lap.
I don't know how to shrink them, as I have one now, and I have had many. Most of them seem to end up shrivelling up, a couple have ruptured, and caused a lot of cramping. It will be interesting if anyone has any ideas.
I hope it all goes well, and you're ok. I'm sorry I couldn't be much help, but I thought it would be nice to just answer.
Keep us posted.
Mandy

Closed Thread