It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
(female)

sinfull41 HB User
Newly diagnosed ovarian cancer stage 1

This journey started 8 weeks ago, I had a laparscopic surgery for my gallbladder. I suffered symptoms for 20 years. Following the surgery I was bloated & constipated which I blamed on the surgery. About the third week I started having urgency to urinate and I was gaining weight even though I wasn't eating much because I felt very full. Week 5 & 6 I am beginning to think this isn't related to surgery. My stomach was looking 6 mos pregnant and my clothes arent fitting. I had gained 15 lbs! I went online and looked at ovarian cancer and realized I had every symptom. I called my gynecologist and told the nurse my concern. She said well you are coming in for your annual in 3 weeks, I told her that I couldn't wait, I felt very sick. They took me in that day, after an exam and ultrasound found a mass the size of a cantelope on my right ovary. I was sent to gyn-oncologist the next day and had surgery 3 days later, complete hysterectomy, appendectomy, omentectomy and exploratory. The mass was the size of a small watermelon and weighed 5 lbs. The pathology report said I had ovarian mucinous borderline tumor with intraepithelial carcinoma and microinvasion. Dr. says this doesn't require any treatment, just follow up twice a year for 5 years. I do think that I will get a second opinion just to reassure myself. I am wondering if anyone has had anything similar to this. This seemed to grow in six weeks, it was not seen when I had my gallbladder removed. That is what really scares me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

tlhalabama HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed ovarian cancer stage 1

I actually have to relatives that I can tell you about.

1st - my Grandmother started swelling and having pains. She is very stubborn and put off going to the doctor. She proceeded to take a vacation to the mountains. While there, she experienced great pain. Upon arriving back home, she went to the doctor. By then, it was too late. What started out as a small tumor had grown and ruptured. She had the complete works removed and had to endure 6 months of chemo and radiation. That was about 12 years ago. She is retested every 6 months even though she is past the 5-year mark. So far, all is well.

2nd - my Aunt (grandmothers sister) started swelling but no pains. She went to the doctor and a small tumor was found. She had the complete works removed and did not require chemo or radiation. That was about 12 years ago. She was tested for 5 years. So far, all is well.

Both my grandmother and aunt went through this the same summer.

Good luck to you and I hope and pray all goes well.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Wow, Sinfull, you have been through a LOT in the past several weeks! I am so glad your doctors were proactive, though! I don't have experience with ovarian cancer, but wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers. I also highly recommend you get a second opinion. Also, you might ask if your pathology slides were read by an oncologist, not just a pathologist.

I wish you a speedy recovery!

Old 05-31-2008, 10:04 PM   #4
(female)

Nicki70 HB User

I am glad they were so proactive with you.My mother suffered for about 4 years with these syptoms and nothing was done.After gallbladder surg.they found ovarian caner that had grown into her intestine and was sitting on top of her bladder.The funny thing is they felt it at an gyno appt. a year before.SHe was told it was a hurnia did no follow up. Turns out she had a rare slow growing type of cancer and was heavey so noone even made the connection, all symptoms were blamed on her size. She died because she was fat pretty much. your story is all too familer I am glad you sought out and got help you needed..PLEASE FOLLOW THOUGH WITH A SECOND OPINON...GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS

Closed Thread