It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
(female)

scaredcervi HB User
Discharge on Cervix? A problem?

Hi -

I had a follow up pap this morning and the PA doing it said something that has really concerned me. My regular dr is out on maternity leave and I haven't seen this PA before, but while she was doing the pap she said she was having a problem getting a good sample because there was so much "discharge on my cervix". Huh? I haven't noticed any abnormal discharge. When I pressed her about it she just wouldn't answer. This is my 4th pap smear in under a year. I have had 2 colposcopies as well. 2 paps were totally normal after the first said severe dysplasia. The first biospy was negative for any dysplasia at all and my most recent showed something very mild (this winter). Now I am terrified. has this nightmare finally turned to cancer??

anyone with any thoughts? I hate the waiting.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Discharge on Cervix? A problem?

(mumbling profanity under my beath because my post didn't post) Let me try again.

I am not sure about your discharge, but I highly recommend you talk with your doctor about doing an ECC (endocervical curettage) the next time he/she does a colposcopy. I think if the cervix as a frosted/glazed donut. The colposcopy looks at the frosting. The ECC scrapes the (very tiny) donut hole for atypical cells.

I suggest all of this because you've had irregular paps and colposcopies and the results don't sound consistent. Perhaps you are young enough that your body is fighting the virus (HPV - if that is what is causing the atypical cells - very high chance it is).

I am 44 and was diagnosed with high risk HPV in January. I've always had good paps. My doctor sent me to a gynecologist for a colposcopy and possible biopsy, with a possible ECC. The colposcopy looked great, she didn't need to take any biopsies. Because of my age and positive hrHPV, she did the ECC. It came back adenocarcinoma in situ (highst stage of precancer). Two weeks later, I had a cone biopsy which came back endocervical adenocarcinoma Ia1 (very low stage cervical cancer). My ONLY treatment will be a hysterectomy (uterus and cervix only). I will not need lymph nodes removed, I will not need chemo or radiation. I feel blessed that my regular doctor did the HPV test and that the gyn did the ECC. My oncologist said in one year I'd be symptomatic from the cancer (break through bleeding between periods, bleeding after intercourse, etc) and she said I'd probably chalk it up to menopause - but it would be the cancer. Like I said, I'm luck it was found so early. I have NO symptoms.

I say all of this just to let you understand why I consider the ECC to be so important. I don't know what your history, age, etc are. I just suggest you talk with your doctor about the ECC.

Please know you are not in this alone. And ask whatever questions you might have. We'll try our best to answer them!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
(female)

scaredcervi HB User

Wow - you were very lucky. I'm so glad things are working out for you!!

I know - its disconcerting. I'm 32. I have had ECC's during both colopo's. I would guess (hope) they would be standard with a colpo? If not you are not getting the full picture. Although part of me worries it is hiding someplace very far up...

I had tested negative for HPV twice - but during the last colopo my Dr. said she found evidence of an HPV infection that looked as though it was clearing? Ugh. So confusing.

I want to try for a baby in a few months so I dearly hope I do not have cancer.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

I just thought of something else. When I went in for my conization, the doctor also did another ECC, and D&C, and a uterine biopsy. If you are concerned about "things" further up, you might ask about those procedures to see if they are right for you.

Best of luck!

Closed Thread