It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
(female)

Pepper81 HB User
LEEP scheduling

Back in March I was diagnosed with LgSIL in my pap, requiring me to have a second colposcopy and biopsy. The results of the biopsy came back HgSIL and my doctor is sending me to an OB/GYN for a LEEP. The earliest appointment I could get was June 23rd and this is just for a consultation. Did anyone else who had a LEEP done have a consulting visit first? and if so, will I have to wait another month and a half before scheduling the procedure? I suppose I could just call the OB/GYN office for verrification. I would assume every office depends on patient flow, but I thought I would ask.

I am a very "here is my task list i want to compelte it all now" sort of person. I hate having to wait for this procedure, knowing that I will have more tests done with the tissue removed and then wait for those results to see what it means in terms of severity. I have been freaking out about the entire situation. At first I had done so much research on the topic and i felt comfortable with just having the scientific knowledge of it all. I find myself now with so much free time on my hands due to a break in schooling between semesters that my mind wanders to the "what ifs" and the "could be's" of it all. I watched s television special on the Discovery Health channel in which a woman had HPV, had Hgsil and then within a 3 week period it went from precancerous to cancer and she wasn't able to have children due to a partial hystorectomy. And then of course I worry-what if I can't have children? It is hard to focus on the now rather than the worst possible news. I am just trying to take it one day at a time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: LEEP scheduling

I haven't had a LEEP, but I've had a cone biopsy.

My regular doctor does my paps. In december she did a pap and ran the HPV/DNA test for the first time. My pap came back normal as it has for 20+ years. The HPV/DNA came back high risk. That doctor sent me to a ob/gyn. I went first for a consultation then scheduled for a colposcopy one or 2 weeks later. It is an in office procedure. Three weeks after the ECC (which she did with the "no problem colpo and no biopsy) she did a conization (general anesthesia). It was from the tissue removed during the cone that my cervical cancer was diagnosed (and at such an early stage - Ia1). I feel blessed that my doctor ran the HPV/DNA test and that the gyn did the ECC. Neither doctor HAD to do either test. They just did. Did I mention I feel blessed?

On to something you said in your second paragraph. The diagnosis can change because the biopsies are more invasive. This doesn't necessarily mean the cancer had grown so quickly.

Example:
Pap is a screening test. It doesn't diagnose anything. If the screening says something is wrong, then the doctor can look closer and take further biopsies.
And colposcopy involves swabbing the cervix with a light acidic wash (like vinegar). The vinegar turns any lesions white. The doctor can then pinch off some/all of the white spots and send them for a biopsy.
An ECC (endocervical curettage - endocervical scraping) scrapes out the endocervical canal, (in my mind it is similar to a pap, but for the canal).
The LEEP or cone takes a good sized cone shaped chunk of the cervix for biopsy.

I'm sure I've missed some, but with each biopsy, more tissue is being taken and a more accurage diagnosis can occur.

My body didn't go from nothing wrong except having the virus in 4 months, rather, the diagnostic tests looked more closely and carefully and the biopsies told the doctors what had been going on all along.

I hope that makes sense.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
(female)

Pepper81 HB User

I don't think I had the ECC done, I will make sure the OB/GYN does that. I have been making a list of question for when I go to my consultation, as not to forget anything. I am just really impatient when it comes to having something to do. I prefer to do everything as soon as possible and for this I feel the waiting places more stress in the worrying department. You provided a lot of information that is helpful, so thank you for that. Really I can ask all of the questions I want, but my main stresses are the procedure, pain factor, and results of the tissues being sent for further testing. I don't even know what I am worried about-the idea that if left untreated cancer is a possibility, or the fact that cancer can lead to the inability to have children-to which I currently have none. Tell a girl at almost any age that she will never have children and it hits her heart like a war hammer. Even though I am not ready to have kids right now, the idea that if this progresses and further treatments take away my options of a family, it still really really gets to me. Does any of this even make sense? Arg, I say..arg.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
(female)

Pepper81 HB User

I originally had my paps and colposcopies done at my general family doctor. She is sending me to just a regular OB/GYN-not oncologist-for the LEEP as they do not do this procedure at my family physician's office. This new doctor also specializes in OB/GYN-type surgeries.

Closed Thread