It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
(female)

jessmarimba HB User
Athletics with treatments for HgSIL

I tested positive for high-risk HPV with an abnormal Pap about a month and a half ago. A week or so ago, I had a coposcopy/biopsy, which was incredibly uncomfortable. I started my running routine again about 3 days later, despite some lagging cramping and discomfort, and had to find a bathroom about two miles in because I was passing large amounts of clots or clotting medium. (Sorry if thats TMI). A week later, and things are finally back to normal. However, today I find out that I will need LEEP, and they would prefer it in the next 3 or so weeks. I am reading online that recovery times are much longer. How true is this? Am I looking at easing up or sitting out of race season? I'm scheduling the procedure after my favorite race so at least I'll get that in, but besides the discomfort of running with pads and not tampons, how bad is this going to be?

I know its sort of trivial. But its easier to focus on this than get scared (yet) about anything deeper.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
(female)

Pepper81 HB User
Re: Athletics with treatments for HgSIL

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, Ia m in the same boat as you. Recently diagnosed with HgSIL and now have to have a LEEP later this month.

Yes, the recovery time will be greater, by weeks, because there will be a larger section of tissue removed. It may be less uncomfortable since there will be an anesthetic given to you to ease pain. The rules of recovery say nothing inserted into the vagina for 4 weeks after the procedure, but everyone heals differently. Also for a few days after they will ask you not to do any heavy lifting or work outs.

I did as much research as I could to understand as much information as I could in regards to a LEEP. I am tremendously nervous, although I know I shouldn't be because the procedure is very minimal. I am making a list of questions I have in regards to how it is caused, my treatments, follow-ups, etc to ask the OB/GYN who will be performing the minor surgery, that way I don't forget anything I want an answer to.

I hope everything goes well for you and that you are back on your feet in no time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
(female)

jessmarimba HB User

Are you being given the option of complete sedation for LEEP? I'm having a tough time choosing. I would honestly prefer to be completely knocked out but I don't think I can find someone to drive me home. Or to the appointment, for that matter (its at 7 am!). I just...really don't like the idea of all of this. I shake uncontrollably at the dentist and I don't think this will be much better.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
(female)

melgreeneyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
Are you being given the option of complete sedation for LEEP? I'm having a tough time choosing. I would honestly prefer to be completely knocked out but I don't think I can find someone to drive me home. Or to the appointment, for that matter (its at 7 am!). I just...really don't like the idea of all of this. I shake uncontrollably at the dentist and I don't think this will be much better.
My doctor will ONLY do the leep under sedation. That said many women have it done with no sedation and say it is nothing. I go tomorrow for mine and will be put under sedation. Not general anesthesia - not being intubated, just IV sedations at a facility associated with my hospital.

Personally for me - I wouldn't want to do it without sedation - I see no reason to have to suffer through it awake.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Mel, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow! Let us know how you are doing!

Old 06-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #6
(female)

melgreeneyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Eyes View Post
Mel, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow! Let us know how you are doing!

Thanks so much Pickle Eyes!

Old 06-04-2008, 11:26 AM   #7
(female)

Pepper81 HB User

I don't know if I will have to option to go under sedation rather than just a local. They do say that a local anesthetic will give you a bit of shakiness and that it is normal. However, if you feel that you are too nervous and you shake you may want to inform your doctor of that and of your interest in having sedation. I know you also stated that you don't know if you can find someone to drive you to and from the appointment because of it being so early, may I suggest making them cookies? I find that making cookies for my friends will get them up and out of bed. A little humor there. I would say not to worry, but I know for myself it is really hard not to. I will opt for a local anyway, because it is cheaper, generally, and I have had a few minor surgeries before (wisdom teeth taken out, moels removed, etc) and locals do just fine for me-even with the shaking from the steroids in it. I have been sedated twice before for a hernia operation when I was a child and an upper GI endoscopy I had done and I find that I dislike the feeling of being unaware and unconscious for that period of time. It really effects me mentally afterwards, but it is everyone's preference.

I hope for the best for you!!

Closed Thread