It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
(female)

jennibenni00 HB User
Question HPV strain 18 and cervical cancer

I'm new... and distressed. I have my first biopsy today and I'll know the rsults in a week. I had the strain 18 of hpv, and I know its a nasty one. I was looking for anyone else who had this strain and if they had information on their experience with how fast and how bad everything happened. I have no idea what I'm in for if I have cancer, but the Dr. says because of my strain and the dysplasia, I probably do.

Please share any info about hpv related cervical cancer. Thank you so much...

Old 06-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: HPV strain 18 and cervical cancer

Hi JenniBenni!

I have no idea what strain of HPV I have, but I definately am positive for high risk HPV. I received that diagnosis in January. My paps have always come back ok (for 20+ years). My doctor sent me to a gyn. She did a colposcopy with possible biopsy. The colpo looked so good she didn't need to take any biopsies. Because I'm 44, have positive hrHPV, and the colposcopy looked so good, she decided to do an ECC (endocervical curettage). That came back adenocarcinoma in situ (highest level of precancer). Two weeks after that diagnosis I had a cold knife cone biopsy. That came back endocervical adenocarcinoma Ia1. I am having a hysterectomy on June 18th (just over 2 weeks from today) as my only treatment for the cancer. I am VERY fortunate that the doctors have found my cancer so early. I will not need chemo or radiation. I get to keep all of my lymph nodes.

I don't know how long ago I was exposed to HPV, but it has been at least 16 years. My atypical cells are glandular/conical, not squamous ones.

Ask whatever questions you think of. Someone will do their best to answer them.

Know that you are not alone!

Last edited by Pickle Eyes; 06-15-2008 at 09:38 AM. Reason: corrected spelling on one of the "adenocarcinoma"s

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
(female)

CrazyBeautiful1 HB User

You're definitely not alone. I was also diagnosed with HPV18 2 months ago. It scared the crap out of me, as it was the same thing my mother had and died from. However my mother was terrified of doctors and they didn't catch it until very late.. I'm still in the midst of getting everything figured out myself. My best advice is to stay up to date on your pap's and keep finding all the info you can! Best of luck dear!

Old 06-15-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
(female)

mommyandwifey HB User

Hi there. THe good news is that just because you have HPV does NOT mean you have cancer. In fact, most people with HPV do NOT have cancer. WHat's more is that just because you have HPV AND Dysplasia still does not mean cancer. AND dysplasia usually goes through many stages before its becomes cancer. AND at each of those stages it is still treatable and usually successfully. So you can have both HPV and dysplasia and still not have cancer.

That said, it does mean you have to stay very active in your health care and follow up. Do NOT miss one appointment and don't be afraid to ask for appt's more often (i.e 3 mos instead of 6 mos). Now, I'm not sure how much information you've found but from what I've found following are the stages:

Normal= repeat pap in one year
ASCUS and HPV Neg- repeat pap in 3 mos if still ASCUS and HPV neg- repeat one year
ASCUS and HPV Pos- Repeat pap every 3-6 mos
CIN I- Repeat pap 6 mos possibly followed by colposcopy
CIN II- Treat via cryo, LEEp etc
CIN III- Treat
CIS= Carcinomal In Situ- Still not considered "Cancer"
Invasive Cancer

So you can see there are quite a few stages of dysplasia before you're even at the low end (stage 1 ) of cancer. Many opportunities for your Dr. to catch and treat it.

From your post, it only says you are HPV positive with Dysplasia...you don't mention what grade. When you get the results from your biopsy, be sure to ask for a copy of your pathology report. It will tell everything.

I hope this helps and gives some sense of calm. Although having been on this roller coaster now for 8 mos, I know it can be difficult to keep your ool. Check the boards often. The women are great support during the wait!!

Old 06-26-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
(female)

newpatient485 HB User

MommyandWifey, could you share where you got that info on the different stages? I'm currently fighting with my insurance company because they're erfusing to cover a pap or colposcopy less than a year from when I was diagnosed CIN I.

They say that there's "no medical reason" and that "national standards" don't recommend follow-up earlier than a year, but obviously I'd feel more comfortable being more proactive about the whole thing.

I'm just wondering where all these "national standards" come from and how I can get insurance to cover this.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:56 AM   #6
(female)

mommyandwifey HB User

Sorry for my delay in responding. I would CAUTION that you be very careful with the sites you go to because some have outdated information and some are just wrong. Hope this helps. If not post again and we'll see if we cant somehow get what you need.

Take care.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-28-2008 at 02:39 PM. Reason: please do not direct off board searches

Closed Thread