It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
(female)

galenajen HB User
Stage 3 cervical cancer survivor

Hi Everyone,

I just hit my 1st year of surviving cervical cancer, post chemo and radiation!!!

I also, just graduated nursing school. I am going on to specialize in oncology with an empasis in womens health and reproductive cancers.

I NEVER missed a pap smear, and was married for 12 yrs (I am 35). I never had dysplagia, I went right to full blown cancer. Not to scare any of you, but take your health seriously. Get an HPV test along with your pap every year. (my usband most likely gave me HPV from his cheating).

Dont freak out....take care of yourself, and protect yourself. Dont miss your doctors appoinments, and become educated on the facts. Ignorance is NOT bliss.

Good luck to you all,
If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Jen

Last edited by galenajen; 06-04-2008 at 04:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 06-04-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Stage 3 cervical cancer survivor

Huge congratulations, Galenajen!!! I'm so happy to hear you are doing so well after a year! This is reassuring! I was diagnosed with cervical cancer Ia1 in April. My hysterectomy is in 2 weeks. Hopefully, she'll only need to take the uterus and cervix.

Anyway, back to you . . . you are a shining star, letting those of us who are behind you know that there is a good future! Thanks again for posting!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
(female)

galenajen HB User

I am sending positive thoughts your way! You will do great. I understand how hard this time in your life must be, but please know it does get better.

P.S- If you can journal during this time (even if you are not a journal kind of person), it is so awsome to look back and realize that we can make it through these hard times. And sometimes for the better believe it or not. Cancer taught me many things.

Give your heart, and share your wisdom.

Please keep me posted.

Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Eyes View Post
Huge congratulations, Galenajen!!! I'm so happy to hear you are doing so well after a year! This is reassuring! I was diagnosed with cervical cancer Ia1 in April. My hysterectomy is in 2 weeks. Hopefully, she'll only need to take the uterus and cervix.

Anyway, back to you . . . you are a shining star, letting those of us who are behind you know that there is a good future! Thanks again for posting!

Old 06-04-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by galenajen View Post
Give your heart, and share your wisdom.
That is beautiful, Jen! Thanks for the confidence! I'd like to bounce some ideas off of you, but will go start another thread. Please join me there!

Old 06-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
(female)

melgreeneyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by galenajen View Post
Hi Everyone,

I just hit my 1st year of surviving cervical cancer, post chemo and radiation!!!

Good luck to you all,
If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Jen
Hi Jen - and congrats on your one year mark as well as your nursing career! I wish I could be a nurse - but I am not good with blood, had my LEEP today and was fine but couldn't even watch when they hooked me up to my IV!
I also hate the smell of hospitals and all that sterile, alcohol smell - just freaks me out.

Anyway - I do have a few questions. Were you ever tested for HPV throughout the years of your normal paps? I believe they began using the HPV test more and more about 5 years ago - tho it has been around longer. That said, the test is not perfect and can give false positives and negatives as well. Many women who test positive for HPV go on to have a colposcopy and nothing is found, but better to be safe then sorry. The scarier part is those who test negative who really do have HPV. Take me for example - I've had normal paps all my life, but who knows when i first got HPV! My first abnormal pap back in October showed negative hpv. I went back 6 months later and 'thankfully' it showed high risk hpv which then prompted a colpo - and that found CINII. I had my LEEP today - so if there is any cancer lurking in my endocervical canal or around the transformation zone I am confident it will be found.

My only other question for you is i take it you had no symptoms right? I do know there are some risk factors that increase your risk of cervical cancer - I have some but not all.

Risks are;
I use to smoke off and on but quit.
I took the birth control pill off and on for years.

Non-risks are;
I didn't begin having sex until later in life - they claim if you first had sex early on it increases your risk of HPV, not sure why tho!
I have no children.
I live a pretty healthy lifestyle - exericise, eat right, get a lot of rest.

Anyway - the thing (HPV and cancer) is scary and mysterious, and it is unfortunate that they are still not detecting it as early as they should.

Thank heavens you were able to treat yours and are now cured.

God Bless!
Mel

Old 06-05-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
(female)

mommyandwifey HB User

CONGRATS GalenaJen on being such a fighter! This is great news and you sound so happy. Great to hear happiness and "normalcy" cand and does return....although I'm sure in a different way.

I am interested in your story. I believe I read that you went straight from normal pap to cancer. Was there any HPV testing? Any detail you can provide about your story is helpful and thank you in advance.

Well...take care although it sounds like your doing a great job at that already!!

Old 06-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #7
(female)

sharona714 HB User

Just wanted to say congratulations to you also on hitting the 1 year mark. I can never tell if it's "officially" one year after the dx, surgery, or treatments. I was dx with stage 1b1 after normal paps my whole life. The first abnormal pap came when I was 6 weeks pregnant. They told me they would do nothing until after I had the baby as cervical cancer takes YEARS to develop. WRONG! Right after I had my son I was to have a cone done, then it was discovered it had already become invasive. That was May of 2007, then had surgery in June only to find out the cancer had spread to 1 lymph node. I started treatments in September because in August I had surgery to move my ovaries so they would not get "zapped" by the radiation. It would spare me an early menopause (I was 34 at the time) and keep what shred of fertility I had left via egg retrieval and then possible surrogate. My DH and I wanted 1 more. Anyway, don't know why I just gave you MY whole story but guess I justed wanted to share that with someone who has been there, done that, so to speak. Did you have any positive lymph nodes?
Well, anyway, congrats again and may you have many many more cancer free years to come!
cyberhug from your cc sister

Last edited by sharona714; 06-08-2008 at 11:23 AM.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:44 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Sharona, may I ask what type of atypical cells you had? squamous or epithelial? Mine are epithelial (I think there is another name for them, too, but can't recall it right now). I was told epithelial cells grow faster than squamous cells.

My cancer is Ia1.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:48 AM   #9
(female)

sharona714 HB User

Hi pickle eyes,
I do not know if epithelial is the same as adenocarcinoma, but I had adenocarcinoma, not squamous. I don't know if it's faster growing, but just harder to detect, or as my Dr. put it, a "sneaky Pete". He told me treatments and prognosis of squamous and adenocarcinoma are the same. It's just the adeno doesn't show up as easily on paps. I hope that answers your question. It's great you were dx at the very early stage of 1a1. Cure rate for that stage is like 95%! It's a scary thing, but remember-SURVIVABLE!
Good luck

Old 06-09-2008, 09:05 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharona, yes, I have adenocarcinoma. I've read it grows faster and "skips" cells. The way I understand that is that it might grow here, there, and way over there. It doesn't necessarily grow to neighboring cells. I think of it as ricocheting around the cervix and uterus. That may not be right, but that is the image I have. It is more difficult to find because it is up in the cervical canal - which can't be seen, even with a colposcope.

Thank you for writing back to me. I wish you well!

Closed Thread