It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Surgery for cervical cancer in 2 weeks - too many possibilities

Some of you have followed my story since April, others of you haven't.

Long story short, I was diagnosed with cervical cancer Ia1 after never having had an abnormal pap. The only indication that anything was wrong was being positive for high risk HPV. From there I went for a colposcopy and possible biopsy. The colpo looked so "wonderful" the doctor didn't take any biopsies. Just for good measure she did an ECC (endocervical curettage). That came back as adenocarcinoma in situ (highest level of precancer). Two weeks later I had a cold knife cone biopsy which came back endocervical adenocarcinoma Ia1.

I have gone to an oncologist who will be doing a hysterectomy in 2 weeks. Up until now, I've been thinking it will be LAVH taking just the uterus and cervix. I won't need chemo or radiation.

I truely feel blessed that the doctors have found the cancer at such an early stage.

Yes, that was the short version!

Now we come to the topic of this thread . . .

I was looking over the notes from my visit with the gyn/oncologist (back in April). The way the plan is laid out isn't as simple as what I said a few paragraphs up. There is a chance I could have as little as LAVH (uterus and cervix) up to abdominal radical hysterectomy. That is starting me to worry!

It totally depends on what is found with the ultrasound (I'll have it 5 days preop), the second cold knife cone biopsy (the day before the hysterectomy), and what she finds when she gets in there.

I am so anxious about having the abdominal cut! I want to know, before I go in, what kind of cut I'll have. That doesn't mean I don't want the doctor to do what she has to do. I guess it just really means I am anxious about the lack of control in this whole issue.

Before the first cone, I had an emotional breakdown with the anesthesiologist and doctor standing there. I blubbered on and on about not being in control of my body, the surgery, the outcome of the biopsy, etc. I still feel that way. Fortunately, that break down only lasted about 5 minutes. Just long enough so I could sign the consent for surgery and get the meds to calm me down and make me forget a bit of the surgery (is that versed?). <sigh>

I don't know what I am asking. I am becoming anxious. I know I can't control any of this (what she finds, what my body has already done, etc). I like to be mentally prepared for things and I feel so unprepared for so much right now.

Please forgive me for blabbering on. If you are a praying person, please pray for my peace of mind and for my releasing the overwhelming "need" for control . . . and for any other prayers you wish to pray!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
(female)

melgreeneyes HB User
Re: Surgery for cervical cancer in 2 weeks - too many possibilities

Sending you good thoughts that all goes well with your surgery Pickle Eyes and that you get the peace of mind you so deserve!

Keep us posted!

Old 06-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
(female)

mommyandwifey HB User

Pickle...haven't talked for a while. First things first...give yourself permission to have a breakdown, cry, scream, ask your higher power all of your questions...it is a natural reaction to what is a tough situation. Some people question me for having the audacity to question GOD but guess what ...He made me. Do I really think He doesn't know what I'm feeling whether it's happiness, anger, confusion etc?? Anyway, back to this all important cry. For me, I seem so relieved, prepared and ready after a good, blubbering, slobing, snotty cry!! Not the cute kind with sniffles and a single tissue.. I mean the ugly face kind of cry. So ugly that once you look in the mirror, all you can do is laugh. The laughter then takes us to the next step because the key for me is that I absolutely can NOT allow myself to stay there otherwise it becomes an "official" pity party.

Your need for "control" is all too familiar because I am the exact same way. I feel the need to control most things and its so difficult to give into not having control. I've even questioned if that is why I'm facing this situation. Is this a way to teach me to give in and face the fact that ultimately I can not control everything? I don't know and like you it's very frustrating.

In any case, I want you to know that although I haven't posted in a while, I am definitely thinking of you and still praying for all of us to find peace in the situations we've found ourselves in...PEACE THAT SURPASSES ALL UNDERSTANDING!! After all of that...did I even answer your question???

Old 06-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyandwifey View Post
In any case, I want you to know that although I haven't posted in a while, I am definitely thinking of you and still praying for all of us to find peace in the situations we've found ourselves in...PEACE THAT SURPASSES ALL UNDERSTANDING!! After all of that...did I even answer your question???
<wiping tears from eyes> Yes, Mommyandwifey, you answered my questions (did I even ask one?! ). I just need some reassuring words. You have offered me that. Thank you from the bottom of my heart! ((((hugs)))) and prayers back at ya'!

Old 06-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #5
(female)

NikkaBlu HB User

Pickle.....
You have been soooo suuportive for so many people on these boards...
Im sure that everyone is sending you positive thoughts and good energy....I know I am..........
god bless and good luck...

Old 06-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
(female)

fizzymoon1 HB User

I have just read your forum and my heart goes out to you. I have had a hysterectomy and it is a major operation to have and you need to be fully prepared mentally. The incision will either horizontal or vertical and will usually be closed with staples. You will have a drain attached to your stomach for a couple of days and a catheter as well. Dont worry they dont hurt and are not uncomfortable. Obviously you will have pain after such major surgery but with pain relief any discomfort should be kept to a minimum. You do not say if you are post menopause but if not you will go into instant menopause and will need hrt. Recovery time from a hysterectomy is usually 4-6 weeks and you should not lift anything heavy during that time. You may find it uncomfortable trying to sleep but this will pass within a few weeks. You are facing a major challenge in your life, one which you have no control over and naturally you feel helpless that all these decisions are being made about you without you being able to stop them. The best way to try and regain control is to involve yourself in all the decisions of your care. Keep asking questions, ask your doctors to explain everything , ask them to explain twice if you are unsure of anything. Do not be afraid to question them and query their reasons for doing things. It is your body and you should be involved in every aspect of your care. Speak to your surgeon before your op, ask them to go through all your questions and concerns and if possible speak to other people who have had the operation. Good luck..

Old 06-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
(female)

melgreeneyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzymoon1 View Post
You do not say if you are post menopause but if not you will go into instant menopause and will need hrt. :
Actually this statement poses a good question I was going to ask Pickle Eyes myself - and that is are you having the cervix and uterus removed PLUS your ovaries? Or just cervix and uterus (I hate saying just, because it sounds like I am saying 'only' and that is not what I mean.)

From what I have read and understand, if a woman is not post menapausal and keeps her ovaries she will not go into instant menapause.

Pickle Eyes - do they want to remove your ovaries as well?

That said - why would she need to go on hormone replacement therapy after the hysterectomy? I would figure hormones are the last thing a woman would want to take after a hysterectomy for cervical cancer. I kick myself for taking the birth control all those years as I tend to wonder if it has anything to do with my cervical dysplasia - they say BC does increase your chances of cervical cancer.

Anyway - I'd be interested to hear from others about this, as I was not under the impression that HRT is at all necessary after a hysterectomy. Infact - I would want to refuse it if it were me.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for the supportive comments, Nikka! (((hugs)))

Fizzy and Mel, I am not menopausal . . . yet.

The plan right now is to not take them. I have an ultrasound 5 days before surgery, it will show the doctor the condition of the ovaries (among other things). Also, when she gets in there, if they look bad, she'll take them. There is a chance I could lose them, but I'm not sure. I'd rather keep them (or at least one) if they are healthy.

Good question about why go on HRT since it is negatively linked with cervical cancer. I'm putting that on my list of questions to ask my doctor.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #9
(female)

fizzymoon1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgreeneyes View Post
Actually this statement poses a good question I was going to ask Pickle Eyes myself - and that is are you having the cervix and uterus removed PLUS your ovaries? Or just cervix and uterus (I hate saying just, because it sounds like I am saying 'only' and that is not what I mean.)

From what I have read and understand, if a woman is not post menapausal and keeps her ovaries she will not go into instant menapause.

Pickle Eyes - do they want to remove your ovaries as well?

That said - why would she need to go on hormone replacement therapy after the hysterectomy? I would figure hormones are the last thing a woman would want to take after a hysterectomy for cervical cancer. I kick myself for taking the birth control all those years as I tend to wonder if it has anything to do with my cervical dysplasia - they say BC does increase your chances of cervical cancer.

Anyway - I'd be interested to hear from others about this, as I was not under the impression that HRT is at all necessary after a hysterectomy. Infact - I would want to refuse it if it were me.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:25 AM   #10
(female)

fizzymoon1 HB User

melgreeneyes - the only time you need hrt after hysterectomy is if both ovaries are removed . In England the press went into hysteria over the safety of hrt and only now after the damage has been done are there reports coming out that the increased risks from hrt are negligible and hrt only increases your health risks if you are in a high risk group such as being a smoker or having a history of cancer. When i had my hysterectomy there were women in my ward who were having the same op for cancer and those who had their ovaries removed were put on low dose hrt and carefully monitered. All medications carry some form of risk but you have to weigh up both the risks and benefits. Whilst there is a slightly increased risk of cancer with hrt it does protect you from heart disease and osteoporosis . I have been on it for 11 years as i was 26 when i had my op and my doctor checks me every 3 months. We have to put things in perspective as like i said every medication carries risks and the media really need to stop whipping up hysteria. hope this has helped a little and to pickleeyes my prayers are with you.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:14 AM   #11
(female)

melgreeneyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzymoon1 View Post
melgreeneyes - the only time you need hrt after hysterectomy is if both ovaries are removed . In England the press went into hysteria over the safety of hrt and only now after the damage has been done are there reports coming out that the increased risks from hrt are negligible and hrt only increases your health risks if you are in a high risk group such as being a smoker or having a history of cancer.

>I have been on it for 11 years as i was 26 when i had my op and my doctor checks me every 3 months. We have to put things in perspective as like i said every medication carries risks and the media really need to stop whipping up hysteria. hope this has helped a little and to pickleeyes my prayers are with you.
All I know is that in the USA there are a lot of people who believe there is a risk assoiciated with HRT, and that it can cause cancer. My aunt went on it - and was not at risk of cancer, and got breast cancer. The doctors believe HRT caused it.

Personally if I have to have a hyterectomy due to cervical cancer, - HRT would definitely not be an option.

From what I undestand HRT just lessens the symptoms of menopause - since after you have the surgery you go into immediate menopause if they take your ovaries. This happens to many breast cancer patients - who have a hysterectomy as a precaution after surviving breast cancer. They go into immediate menopause - but many deal with the symptoms rather then taking hrt.

Remember when they said the birth control pill was safe? Then they learned that women were taking way too high doses of it and they lessened it. Turns out even now, in this day and age they are saying it can cause cervical cancer if you take it for more then 5 years. Well guess what - I did, and now I might have cervical cancer, and I already know I have pre cancer on my cervix.

Just curious what does your check you for every 3 months? What kind of cancer? It is associated with both breast and endometrial/uterine cancer. It is also associated with increased risk of stroke, heart disease and blood clots.

There is concern that HRT can increase the risk of some cancers. I've read that the largest randomized study ever to look at combined hormone replacement therapy (HRT) in healthy postmenopausal women was recently stopped early when researchers found an increased risk of breast cancer. And that women receiving the estrogen/progesterone combination were also found to be at higher risk for coronary heart disease (CHD) and blood clots. HRT did seem to lower the risk of colorectal cancer and bone fractures, but overall the risks outweighed the benefits, according to what I have read.

I think most women on this board who are already at risk of cancer in general would probably hesitate to take HRT to minimize menopausal symptoms.

For me that is a perspective enough! But we all need to judge for ourselves.

Best of luck to you and be well - Mel

Closed Thread