It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
(female)

newpatient485 HB User
Leep

I've been doing some research about the LEEP procedure, and I'm a little confused. Sometimes it's referred to as a diagnostic test, and sometimes it's referred to as a treatment. Does the procedure actually remove all the abnormal cells, or does it only give me more information about what they actually are - or both?

Old 06-09-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
(female)

Pepper81 HB User
Re: Leep

It is both actually. I too am having a LEEP in a few weeks, very nervous as well. But it is a procedure to remove abnormal cells before they have the opportunity to progress into anything else. The removed tissue will be tested for more detailed information. It is similar to haveing any tissue removed from your body. If you were to have a mole removed, even just for cosmetic purposes, your doctor would send the removed tissue sample to be tested. So, for each time your ead "diagnostic test" versus "procedure" they are both right, it is simply a word choice by the writer. I actually did a search for the procedure under and images search engine and was able to find a diagram showing how the procedure is done. It helps me understand what exactly is going to go on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
(female)

ajfurr HB User

I had a Leep done in April of 2007 and it is to remove the abnormal cells, then they will send the tissue that is removed off to get a closer look. Hope this helps and good luck.

Alicia

Old 06-09-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
(female)

newpatient485 HB User

Ok, so basically it SHOULD get rid of it all, but they're checking it to make sure? I wasn't sure if this was just going to be the first in a whole series of procedures. My doctor hasn't been doing a great job explaining things to me, but I'm having trouble finding another one my HMO will pay for . . . this was helpful though.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by newpatient485 View Post
Ok, so basically it SHOULD get rid of it all, but they're checking it to make sure? I wasn't sure if this was just going to be the first in a whole series of procedures. My doctor hasn't been doing a great job explaining things to me, but I'm having trouble finding another one my HMO will pay for . . . this was helpful though.
It should remove it all, but there are no guarentees. This shouldn't be the first in a series of procedures unless they are not able to remove all the abnormal cells and/or the dysplasia comes back prompting another treatment. Does that make sense?

Old 06-09-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by newpatient485 View Post
Ok, so basically it SHOULD get rid of it all, but they're checking it to make sure? .
I think it is safer to say "hopefully" it will removed the bad cells. It depends on how much it has spread and how large it is (if there is any).

I had a cold knife cone (similar to LEEP*) and the results came back adenocarcinoma Ia1 (early stage cancer) with unclear margins. Because the margins were not clear, I have been referred to a gyn/oncologist and will be having a hysterectomy (next Wednesday) as my only treatment for the cancer. I will not need chemo or radiation.

*Cold knife cone is similar to a LEEP or LLETZ. The LEEP/LLETZ cuts the tissue with a laser, which also cauterizes the blood vessels as it cuts. The cauterization reduces post-procedure bleeding. HOWEVER, the LEEP/LLETZ burns the edges of the tissue which means the doctor/pathologist cannot see the margins of the sample. That means the doctor/pathologist doesn't know if the margins are clear or not.

I've read that some doctors never do cold knife cones or never does LEEP. I've read some doctors will perform one or the other - if the doctor thinks he/she is dealing with cancer, the cone will be chosen because of the ability to see margins. My doctor actually did the cone, then she went back over it with the LEEP machine/device to cauterize the edges and reduce post-procedure bleeding. I was very pleased with the recovery time after my cone.

If you have any questions, please let me know. I'll do my best to answer any questions I can.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:55 AM   #7
(female)

emma1008 HB User

Hi i have just had a Leep( in uk they call it a Loop) done yesterday and i felt the same as you. My first results came back as cin1( so at first i was left untreated) but my recent smear was cin 3 so he wanted to take the cell's away b4 they did turn into anything more serious. He explained that it's 95% effective the leep and that it can take 8 years to develop into Cancer if left untreated. He sent my sample away for further test's and i will recieve the result's in 4 weeks.I am very concerned it is more serious like any women would but he reasured me as best he could that most women do get cleared on the first treatment and that if they do call me back it's for further treatment and smears every 6 months. Just to inform you that my effected area was very small and what he classed as a procedure he does alot (thank god).Not that this stop's you worring but if any one has had a similar thing it would be great to hear as i cant stop worring. Thanks

Old 07-06-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
(female)

JMURidr2007 HB User

I had a Leep done in Feb 2007. I had CIN2 and it was a large spot up in the cervical canal. I was *very* nervous, but it all went fine and the edges came back clear. I know how stressful it can be, but you just have to trust your doctors. That specific area has been clear ever since. I did have another mild spot, but I chose to not have that treated and it was gone when I went back 4 months later for another PAP. If the edges are clear than it's all you have to do for now, though they will probably have you come back in every 4 months until you get 3-4 regular paps in a row. I know, a serious pain, but it is definately worth it to make sure it doesn't come back. Good luck and trying to relax...everything will work out.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:18 AM   #9
(female)

looby81 HB User

[QUOTE=emma1008;3630734]Hi i have just had a Leep( in uk they call it a Loop) done yesterday and i felt the same as you. My first results came back as cin1( so at first i was left untreated) but my recent smear was cin 3 so he wanted to take the cell's away b4 they did turn into anything more serious. He explained that it's 95% effective the leep and that it can take 8 years to develop into Cancer if left untreated. He sent my sample away for further test's and i will recieve the result's in 4 weeks.I am very concerned it is more serious like any women would but he reasured me as best he could that most women do get cleared on the first treatment and that if they do call me back it's for further treatment and smears every 6 months. Just to inform you that my effected area was very small and what he classed as a procedure he does alot (thank god).Not that this stop's you worring but if any one has had a similar thing it would be great to hear as i cant stop worring. Thanks

I had Colposcopy in August after cin3 found on smear/pap (no symptoms) and due to other complications was told to have Lleep(Lletz) under General Anesthetic but was told by my Gyn that he said that he didnt think there was a big problem and only would be if I didnt get loop done within the next 10 years. Had loop 4 weeks ago and when I came round he said all went well and he took away more than he needed to and I would hear from them in the next 3 weeks, well today ( typical its a saturday) I got a letter from the hospital asking me to go back to see Gyn but with no indication why ...I now have to wait until 12th December to get an answer..I will be calling the docs on Monday to see if they have any answers for me as I cant feel this panic struck for the next 3 weeks!! Hopefully its nothing serious but you cant help but feel the worst can you?

Old 11-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #10
(female)

Beverly36 HB User
Unhappy Re: Leep

Hi, I'm from London too! I also have CINIII had a colp and biopsy last week, and am also having a loop cone biopsy next Sat 6th Dec. He said he will be probably removing half of my cervix, which is really scary.. he said results from first biopsy are that it's not invasive, but pre-cancerous. It's so scary cos, all my past smears have always been negative/clear. Even some private ones I had for other reasons, around 2-3 years ago, you wonder why your body has this in it? It's the wierdest feeling, and I feel a bit sick worrying about it. But just want it out, so am looking forward to Saturday! Will keep you posted on my recovery/results etc. How did you all find the recovery? I am going home that day as a day-case. He said there will be bleeding for up to 3-4 weeks. The waiting is awful too!

Closed Thread