It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2008, 01:02 AM   #1
(female)

Deanna338 HB User
Unhappy Cervical Cancer and scared

Hi I am so glad that I found this board! I am new here so forgive me if I make any mistakes.
So here goes.
I have been feeling generally unwell for about 7 years. First i was diagnosed with IBS, then my IBS turned into fibromyalgia, all the while I have had severe acid reflux which caused Barretts syndrome. Not to mention the depression and anxiety. About 5 years ago a medical doctor actually looked me in the eye and told me there was nothing physically wrong with me and I just needed a good psychiatrist. So after that I refused to see any doctor for any reason for about 2 years, I just suffered quietly. Then luckily I was able to move 'home' (I had been living about 6 hours from my birth place and family) and by then my 'stomache attacks were so bad and I was in so much pain that my husband insisted I go to the ER and by then I was pretty much helpless, I was too weak to say no. So after about a dozen trips to the ER and 2 visits to the Gastro doc my gall bladder was taken out on a Sunday in an emergency situation that was in '06. That relieved my problems somewhat, but then the lower abdominal pain came back so back to the ER we go, and my right ovarie was removed in '07 and at the same time I had a uterine abulation o help with my heaybormal bleeding. During all of this I finally found a good family practice doc that would actually LISTEN to me and she is rally great. Anyway after the second surgery I was still having sever pelvic pain and the docs in the ER got to where they would roll their eyes when I came in, one of them even gave me a perscription for birth controll pills! How dumb mean mY tubes were tied in '93 and i had ust had he abulation done and I was a smoker for 20 years, I didn't get the script filled.
So I go back to my family doc and I asked her to do a Pap smear, and she did, and of course if was abnormal, now in all of these years with all of these problems I had never had a bad pap. she called me to tell me and sent me to a different ob/gyn because obviously my old one wasn't very good because he didn't find the real problem previously and he had even done my surgery!! Now I go to the new gyn doc and he reads the results of my pap sand he tells me it looks like I have CIN III, I think ok no biggie at least this will get me my hyst. but of course he needs to do a colpo to make sure of what is really going on. I had the colpo on a Thursday and he called me himself on Monday morning to tell me I have invasive cervical cancer and I rember just saying OK, what now? He sent me to a gyn/onc, she reads the results of my previous tests, tells me my other doc did a very good job takes one "look" and decides that I am staged at 1b1 and schedules a radical hyst for the next week after a pet scan. I had the hyst done on the 21st including all pelvic connective tissue 17 lymph nodes and she moved my good ovarie just in case I needed radiation in the future and I remeber her coming into the room the next day and telling me the good news, no lymph node involvement, the surgery was the cure! YEAH!! So I go home with my foley and my pain meds and just rest and try to recoup. I developed a bladder infection due to the foley, and my wound got infected so back to the doc I go for antibiotics and stronger pain meds, and this is when she tells me that although technically there was no node involvement the lab results showed that there were tumor cells in the lymphatic tubes, and there were tumor cells outside of the margins. So now I have to go to the radiation guy and the chemo guy. The radiation guy tild me that clinically I am still a stage 1b1 but pathologically I am a stage 2a, and I don't understand that. But, we decided that as soon as I am healed from surgery I will start radiation treatments, my mapping starts the 17th, and the treatments start the 23rd. Then I went to the chemo guy who called the radiation guy and had a little chat about my 'case' and I will start chemo (cisplatin) on the 23rd also. I need to have a cath port implanted in my chest for the chemo this week as soon as the surgeon can squeeze me in.
Basically my IBS and fibromyalgia has turned into cervical cancer and every time I see a doctor it gets worse and I am scard, confussed and angry. If anyone out there can relate please respond!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Cervical Cancer and scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna338 View Post
The radiation guy tild me that clinically I am still a stage 1b1 but pathologically I am a stage 2a, and I don't understand that.
<snip>
Basically my IBS and fibromyalgia has turned into cervical cancer and every time I see a doctor it gets worse and I am scard, confussed and angry. If anyone out there can relate please respond!!
((((Deanna)))) I am so glad you finally got to a doctor who listened and tested! I'm sad and angry to hear the other doctors didn't check. But then again, it just might not have shown up on any paps. My cancer has never shown on a pap, and probably wouldn't have for another year or two! I am lucky they found mine so early!

I can't remember exactly how I've read that cervical cancer is staged, but i know it is differently than other cancers. I do know that regardless of what your original staging is, even if they find it is worse, it stays the original diagnosis. That is why you are diagnosed at Ib1, not 2a. I hope someone comes along and explains it better than my attempt.

As far as your IBS turning into cancer, that's not how it works. Cervical cancer (in greater than 99%) is caused by HPV. I would think it is possible that the cervical cancer might make the other problems worse, but am not sure.

Have you been to see a gyneocological oncologist? If not, I highly recommend you get one. Also, do you have copies of your pathology reports. I highly recommend you get (and understand) those, too.

I know you are scared, and I am so sad to know that. I hope you get some peace and understanding from the women and their experiences on this board. They have been a godsend in my life!

I want to keep up with your posts, but I go in on Tuesday for my cone biopsy and then again on Wednesday for my hysterectomy, so I won't be around much this week. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers, though!

((((hugs))))

Old 06-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
(female)

Deanna338 HB User
Re: Cervical Cancer and scared

Thank You Pickle Eyes for your reply to my post!
What I meant by my IBS turning into cancer is that I believe that the IBS was a symptom of the cancer because since my hyst. I don't have it anymore.
Yes I have a gyn/onc, I just had a radical hyst with removal of 17 nodes and all connective tissue on the 21st. She is the one that sent me to the radiation guy and the chemo guy.
I don't have copies of my pathology reports but I wouldn't understand them anyway.
Thanx for the prayers. Huggers.
D.

Closed Thread