It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
(female)

newpatient485 HB User
How quickly did cervical cancer develop?

I was wondering if people might be able to share how long it took between their first abnormal pap and the development of cancer.

I recently had a colposcopy that showed mild dysplasia, and my doctor absolutely INSISTS there is no reason for me to come back earlier than one year from now (and my insurance won't cover it either.)

I know none of you can tell me what my body is going to do, but any insight you could share would be helpful. I don't want this developing if it doesn't have to!

Old 06-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
(female)

ajfurr HB User
Re: How quickly did cervical cancer develop?

I have not had cervical cancer, but I had a LEEP done April 2007 for mild to moderate dysplasia and HPV positive for high risk and I am now going back in August because I had an abnormal pap and HPV came back positive. My advice to you is if the colposcopy showed mild I would find another doctor. Your insurance should cover because it is demmed as medically necessary. I would seriously get a second opinion, hope this sheds some light your way

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
(female)

newpatient485 HB User

My insurance has already refused to cover another colposcopy for the year, so even if I get another pap and it came back irregular, I couldn't afford the colpo (my first was $1,600 between the visit and lab fees but covered by insurance.) It's completely frustrating, and I'm not sure what to do.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

I've never had an abnormal pap. I was exposed to HPV at least 16 years ago. My cancer is staged as Ia1, microinvasion. Tomorrow is my hysterectomy to remove the uterus and cervix (only needed treatment for this stage of cancer!) I'm blessed it was found so early, especially since I've never had a bad pap.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
(female)

newpatient485 HB User

I guess I'm just going to have to wait it out and hope for the best since I can't afford to do anything else . . .

Old 06-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Do you know how your pathology report read? 99% of atypical paps come back with squamous cell involvement. Mine was that 1% of epithelial/conical cell involvement.

Unfortunately, it is all about waiting. I wish I had a trick to help make time pass, but the only thing that has helped me is to learn everything I can possibly learn, and then pass that information along.

I wish you peace and patience in your wait!

Old 06-18-2008, 07:09 AM   #7
(female)

newpatient485 HB User

Yep, waiting definitely seems to be a theme here.

I have my lab reports. I had three biopsies done; two came back CIN 1 and one said there was no dysplasia seen. I know that it will most likely resolve itself on it's own, especially because I'm young, but I'd just rather get tested more often in case I AM in theat 1%.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Do you know what type of atypical cells you had? squamous or epithelial? That will help you know which percent you might be in.

Also know, that even with epithelial cell involvement, it doesn't mean it is cancer. Mine had just advanced that far. Your reports sound good. At some point we (me included) have to trust the doctors. If we don't trust a certain doctor, we need to shop for one we do trust (aka get a second opinion). If you aren't pleased, CERTAINLY get a second opinion. That might really ease your nerves!

(((hugs)))

Old 06-18-2008, 08:18 AM   #9
(female)

newpatient485 HB User

Thanks, I'm feeling a little unsure about my doctor right now. I have an appointment next week to talk about my results, so I think I'll feel better then. My health insurance posts lab reports online; it's great to be able to see the full report, but there's no one there to explain what it means!

Old 06-20-2008, 06:13 PM   #10
(female)

tulip2222 HB User

I feel your frustration! I too had a colposcopy and my results came back CIN II. I am only 20 years old and my doctor said she is not concerned due to my age and recommended I simply follow up with pap smears every 3 months. She said if need be, I will possibly have another colposcopy in a year or so. If you are also young, maybe this is what your doctor is thinking too.

I know exactly how you feel because it's very irritating to sit around waiting for so long. My mom is trying to convince me to see an oncologist to get a second opinion since they specialize in these things. I wish I had advice to offer, but since I don't I'm just posting to let you know you aren't alone in this feeling! Best of luck and take care!

Old 06-21-2008, 07:11 PM   #11
(female)

CynwithCIN HB User

Is there a Planned Parenthood in your area??? Check with them, they offer services on a sliding scale basis.

If not, definately get a second opinion. I would not wait a year with CIN II. Any doctor that said otherwise doesn't know what they are doing in my opinion....

Good luck to you, and best wishes!

Old 06-22-2008, 10:14 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I haven't been on this board in months, but there were women who healed themselves naturally with high doses of vitamins, eliminating chemicals and toxins in products, food, envrironment. I became inspired by this and I decided to experiment. I am able to have several exams a year, so when my results came back as usual, I decided to start taking the recommended vitamins, teas, etc. After a couple of years the problrm resolved itself in 1-2 months. The women who inspired me went to naturopathic doctors who do not perform surgery, cut anything out, or prescribe drugs. Instead they try to get to the root of the problem and figure out what is causing this. The purpose of the vitamins, minerals, teas is to provide the body the tools it needs to heal itself. Our bodies have a great ability to heal themselves as long as we provide it what it needs. Because our western culture eat mostly non-organic foods, processed foods, chemical shampoos, lotions, we lack the vitamins and minerals we need and we take in a lot of chemicals into the body. Just something to look into as an alternative. Good luck!

Old 06-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #13
(female)

newpatient485 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynwithCIN View Post
Is there a Planned Parenthood in your area??? Check with them, they offer services on a sliding scale basis.

If not, definately get a second opinion. I would not wait a year with CIN II. Any doctor that said otherwise doesn't know what they are doing in my opinion....

Good luck to you, and best wishes!
There is, and I've checked with them . . . unfortunately, I apparently have too much money to qualify for any assistance but too little to pay for it myself . . . argh!

Old 07-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #14
(female)

hawleycat HB User

I went from having a normal pap to Carcinoma in si-tu in 90 days! Everyone is different but if you know you have high risk hpv please go to another doctor. I had a freeze procedure and went for follow up paps every 3 months and had normal paps and then on my last 3 month pap before going to yearly ones it came back as close to cancer as you can get. Ask your doc about programs or financial aid, anything but do not let this go, hugs to you!

Closed Thread