It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
(female)

cupcake80 HB User
Please give me hope!

My mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer--we won't know the stage until tomorrow, the doctor says it could be a 3c. I've looked on the internet and all I've done is cry! Please, please, someone tell me there's hope.

Last edited by cupcake80; 06-29-2008 at 05:17 PM.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Please give me hope!

(((((Cupcake)))) Take some long, slow, deep breaths. It will help calm you a bit.

Secondly, I suggest you start a list of questions. This is what I did. I started mine in a Word document and just flipped between internet pages and my questions. Then later I'd sort and rearrange the questions and fill in answers as I found them.

Thirdly, I highly recommend you stick with the Center for Disease Control and the National Cancer Institute. At least for now. All you need at this moment is the facts. After you learn more information from your Mom (and possibly her doctor), then start branching out. But I issue a huge word of warning. Be VERY careful what you read on the internet. I speak from experience. There are some ligitimate horror stories out there. You need to remember that not everyone posts online. And not everyone who posts online posts about their experience. The experiences you read about are most likely the ones that didn't go well. While I am incredibly sad for such horrible situations, I know I am not (and was not 2 months ago, when I first started searching) strong enough to distance my experience from someone else's much worse scenario.

Next, do you live close enough to your mother to go with her to her doctor's appointments? It will help you understand what is going on, help support your mother, and give your mother another set of ears to help hear and understand what the doctor has said.

All of that being said, I don't know much about ovarian cancer. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer (Ia1) back in April and just had my hysterectomy last week. I will not need chemo or radiation because the cancer was found so early. I know that a positive attitude helps a LOT. So does being proactive. The week before surgery I met a woman about my age who was a 10 year survivor of stage IV cervical cancer. I rememberly clearly thinking, "WOW! She was 3 stages worse than me and she seems so full of life. If she can make it, I'll be fine."

Look for positive and inspiring words to share with your mother. It will help you, and it will help her.

That's all I have to offer right now. I hope that helps ease your nerves a bit. Please check back and let us know if we can help in any other way!

(((hugs))) and prayers!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread