It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
(female)

annarm2632 HB User
Unhappy ovarain cysts

I was just wondering if anyone out there has the same pain that I do.I have ovarian cysts and Ive been having this pain for more than two years now,I have bad pelvic pain low back pain pain goes down my thighs,also Im always bloated, pain when I have a bowel ,heavy periods..I feel like Im having contrctions all the time , ive been feeling misreable for so long now but my doctor thinks this pain is not caused by my cysts but most off my symptoms I have are from that...Ive been also having low fevers..any help would be good. anna

Old 07-02-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
(female)

TNWalker0709 HB User
Re: ovarain cysts

Hi,

It sounds like you might want to get a second opinion. If it were me, I'd see a new GYN and also a gastroenterologist doctor.

I hope you gets some relief and answers soon. I know how uncomfortable ovarian cysts can be.

Best wishes!

Last edited by TNWalker0709; 07-02-2008 at 08:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Anna, has your doctor sent you for any ultrasounds or cat scans or MRIs of your lower abdomen/pelvis?

Old 07-13-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
(female)

eva7 HB User

I had the exact same symptoms as you for three years, It's from the cysts.

Find a new MD who will perform surgery on you to have them removed.

I just had mine removed.

Good luck and don't suffer for another year like I did.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
(female)

TLValiant HB User

Eva,

I understand where you are coming from. I had a dermoid cyst removed from my left ovary 2 years ago and now I have 2 more cysts on my left ovary that are 3.3 cm and 5.2 cm. I am really feeling the pain. My doctor wanted to wait until I had my period to see if they might go away on their own. I will have to say I am having issues with my period due to hormone problems, PCOS etc. I am supposed to go back on August 5th to have another ultrasound done. Do you think at that point I should go ahead and ask to have them removed. I was able to have a semi-period when taking progesterone. It only lasted 1 and a 1/2 days and was not that heavy. I am definitely feeling the pressure and nagging dull ache on my lower left pelvic area. I just hate the idea of having another surgery. The doctor had actually joked that maybe we should have taken the whole ovary during the last surgery. Now I am wondering if maybe we shouldn't have. I sure don't want to have to worry about cysts for the rest of my life...

Terry

Old 07-16-2008, 12:17 AM   #6
(female)

eva7 HB User
Unhappy Re: ovarain cysts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLValiant View Post
Eva,

I understand where you are coming from. I had a dermoid cyst removed from my left ovary 2 years ago and now I have 2 more cysts on my left ovary that are 3.3 cm and 5.2 cm. I am really feeling the pain. My doctor wanted to wait until I had my period to see if they might go away on their own. I will have to say I am having issues with my period due to hormone problems, PCOS etc. I am supposed to go back on August 5th to have another ultrasound done. Do you think at that point I should go ahead and ask to have them removed. I was able to have a semi-period when taking progesterone. It only lasted 1 and a 1/2 days and was not that heavy. I am definitely feeling the pressure and nagging dull ache on my lower left pelvic area. I just hate the idea of having another surgery. The doctor had actually joked that maybe we should have taken the whole ovary during the last surgery. Now I am wondering if maybe we shouldn't have. I sure don't want to have to worry about cysts for the rest of my life...

Terry
Hi Terry

That really sucks! To have them come back after surgery just stinks.

I had my affected ovary removed, so they can't come back in that ovary. That ovary was just shot.

I don't have PCOS and I always had regular periods probably because I didn't have PCOS.

I think you may want to have that ovary removed. I just read something about PCOS the other day that said when they remove one of the ovaries it decreases a lot of the symptoms of PCOS. I don't know where I found it, because I was actualy doing a search on plain old ovarian cysts. I think I may have found it under "unilateral oophoerectomy," but I'm not sure....If you find it, you should print it out and bring it to your MD.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello,

You will need to have an ultrasound done to see if you perhaps have large cysts that are causing the symptoms that you describe. If they do find more cysts then you will need to ask them what type of cysts they are. If they are 5 cm or less and are only filled with fluid then these are the normal functional cysts of a healthy woman. These types of cysts grow and regress with your cycle and are called follicular cysts. They contain your eggs and one of these cysts bursts open during ovulation to release an egg into the fallopian tube.

Try to see when exactly you are having the symptoms that you describe. Is it at ovulation time ? This is approximately 14 days after the start of your period and when your cysts are at their largest. The most mature follicle will burst open to release the egg at this time and sometimes the fluid in the cyst that comes out with the egg irritates your abdominal lining.

You need to have an ultrasound so if your doctor won't schedule one, find another doctor who will be more understanding about your symptoms and actually do something to get to the bottom of your problem.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:42 AM   #8
(female)

nico96 HB User

hiya,

I am goin in for a laporoscopy next week as they belive i have cystic ovaries? i have the same symtoms as you i.e bloating/weight gain/lower back/pelvis pain and just generally feeling down. I also have a prolapse womb that i am having repaired at the same time! he seems to think its not my prolapse thats causing any of my symtoms? (does anyone know any different)and you stating your symtoms are all the same as mine so maybe it is cystic ovaries? hes also mentioned scar tissue etc? aw i dont know what us woman have to go through.

nico x

Old 07-16-2008, 05:46 AM   #9
(female)

Havannah HB User

Hi, you are not alone! I have over the years had all the same symptoms as you and have had ovarian cysts a couple of times ( they do tend to recurr). I also have endometriosis and alot of adhesions (scar tissue) and this causes alot of the same sort of pain you describe. I have had all sorts of treatments over the years but the only one that worked for me is quarterly injections of Depot Provera which basically stops your periods completely and therefore your ovaries become dormant and hey presto, no pain!! Hooray. I can highly recommend this treatment if you end up going down that route. I have suffered for 20 years and only now feel pain free. All the best to you! Paula.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:20 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello Havannah,

Has your doctor informed you about this type of progesterone and its main side effect ? Depot Medroxyprogesterone Acetate, which is the type of progesterone used in Depo Provera, causes problems with bone density when used for two years or more. Women are already at especially increased risk of osteoporosis, as you may already know and this drug has been proven to cause bone density loss. Has your doctor recommended that you have a bone density scan at the two year mark.

Also keep in mind that this bone density loss is NOT reversible once a woman stops taking Depo Provera so once the damage is done, it cannot be reversed. The Depo Provera shot is essentially another form of contraceptive but which uses progesterone only. The type of synthetic progesterone used in Depo Provera is also different as most oral contraceptives use another form by the name of levogenestrel (there are also others like Desogen etc.. but this one is the most commonly used).

Be sure to read up on this so that you can minimize any side effects or even counteract them. It is now recommended that young women who are still developing their bones should not be on Depo Provera due to this major side effect. Osteoporosis is a terrible disease that you don't want to go chasing after.

Take care.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #11
(female)

TLValiant HB User

estria,

Actually the pain really started about a week before I started what I call my "period" which only lasted 1 and a 1/2 days and was barely more than spotting. The pain has continued and I stopped my period less than a week ago. I am concerned, not only for the fact as these pains are worsening but also for the fact as I cannot get my periods in order. I have been taking progesterone in one form or another for the past 7 months and only now was able to get some sort of period. I am going to call my doctor later this week when I am off and ask for her opinion. I do have a follow up appointment for the cysts on August 5th. She has scheduled another ultrasound for then.

eva,

Thank you for the advice. I will search the web when I can and try and see if I can find that information.

Terry

Old 07-17-2008, 05:56 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello Terry,

Might the progesterone be interfering with your cycle ? Perhaps you are taking too much. Some progesterone may encourage your lining to shed but this does not mean that you are ovulating normally so you will need to be checked out to see what the problem is. Are you perhaps on any other medication which may affect your period ? Thyroid medication or thyroid problems can cause menstrual irregularity. Be sure to mention to your doctor the fact that you are using progesterone. This is very important.

Good luck with your ultrasound and come back and let us know how you are doing.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #13
(female)

TLValiant HB User

estria,

Well here is the update...I actually could not make it until august 5th..I started having really severe pains in my lower left side both in front and in my back. I called my doctor and she went ahead and scheduled me to come in today to have another ultrasound. Apparently the cysts are still there and the same size. My doctor told me that since I am having pain and the cysts are not shrinking it would be a good idea to go ahead and take them out or we could wait. I told her that I don't think I could put up with the pain anymore. We then spoke about whether she should go ahead and take the ovary or just the cysts. Since this is not my first time having a cyst on this ovary I told her it might be best to go ahead and take the whole ovary. Well I am scheduled to have surgery 08/08/08. While I am nervous I will be glad when this pain is over. I did find out that I have 1 simple cyst and 1 complex cyst. I actually had to glance at the results to even find that out. My doctor had not told me..I am trying to do research on complex cysts to try and ease my mind because I have to admit it is intimidating.

Take care...

Terry

Old 07-24-2008, 06:27 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello Terry,

I assume that both cysts are located on the same ovary ? I agree that if it is causing you such pain, you should take it out and indeed you don't want to keep running in and out of surgery so perhaps taking out the ovary is best. At any rate, your other ovary should take over for the both.

Also, if one of the cysts is a complex one then it is wisest to take it out and do a biopsy, just to be on the safe side. Keep in mind that these types of cysts are very rarely cancerous and I know of at least two people in my family that have had to have complex cysts removed (my sister in law's was at 12 cm !) which turned out to be completely benign.

If you are doing research on the internet you need to take what you read with a grain of salt as they say. You will probably come across a few websites that say that if ovarian cancer is present, it is often in the form of a complex cyst, HOWEVER, keep in mind that complex cysts are extremely common and that only a small percentage of them are cancerous. Ovarian cancer is rather rare (one in eighty women, most commonly affecting women over the age of 60).

Also, most often, women with ovarian cancer do not present necessarily with pelvic pain (otherwise, it would not be called the silent killer). A colleague of mine was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer and has been through surgery and chemotherapy (the cancer is now gone) and she presented with bowel symptoms and a variety of digestive problems. She finally went to the doctor after she had gained some 33 lbs of fluid (ascites) and was unable to eat anything but liquid protein (Boost).

So just to warn you about internet research .. it can actually make things worse so stick to reputable sites and read everything and not just the scary bits. Keep in mind that if you type in something as simple as a headache, you will get brain cancer as a possible cause.

As to your surgery, they will probably do a laparoscopy which will mean a quicker recovery time (one week). I may end up having to have this done eventually as I have a simple 8 cm cyst that does not seem to want to regress on its own. My next ultrasound is August 4th so I am praying ..

Right now I just wish I were a man (well perhaps not ..).

Take care.

Estria

Old 07-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #15
(female)

TLValiant HB User

estria,

I appreciate your words. I have to admit I was worried about everything I read on the complex cysts. The word CANCER was showing a lot. I am definitely going to stay on the reputable sites and not speculate about anything until I know for sure. Both of the cysts are on my left ovary. I am thinking that is a good thing since at least I will be able to keep 1 ovary. I am just so tired of this pain. I will be glad when this is all over. I am concerned this will be an open surgery as I am not a small girl and it might be difficult for them to get to my ovary... I am preparing myself for this just in case.

As for your cyst, I will be praying with you that your cyst has regressed.

Take care hon..

Terry

Closed Thread