It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2008, 01:34 AM   #1
(male)

Dion Cohen HB User
adenocarcinoma in situ what to do

my wife has recently been digonised with adenocarcinoma in situ. She has had an endocervical biopsy and we are waiting for the results. We would like to have more children, and would do anything to achieve this, besides putting my wife at risk. Can anyone let me know what different procedures we could follow.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: adenocarcinoma in situ what to do

Hi Dion. I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma in situ in April. They got that diagnosis because the doctor had done a colposcopy (no biopsy needed) and an ECC (endocervical curettage) which scrapes the cervical canal where teh colposcope can't see. After the AIS diagnosis, I had a cold knife cone. For me, that came back adenocarcinoma Ia1.

You and your wife need to make sure the doctor knows that ya'll (yes, I'm a Texan) want to maintain fertility. It is possible that with AIS that the only treatment your wife will need is a LEEP/ LLETZ/cone. It is possible that it will be diagnostic AND treatment (meaning she won't need further treatment). It is possible, after the LEEP/LLETZ/cone that her cervix will be (what's the word?) incontinent, meaning the doctor will have to take some stitches in the cervix to help her keep the baby throughout pregnancy. I think after they take those stitches to tighten the cervix, then the baby is delivered via ceasarian section. I'm not positive on the details, but I know it is possible to conceive and carry a baby to term after an AIS diagnosis.

I hope someone else jumps in here with more specific information.

Best wishes to you and your wife!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
(female)

NikkaBlu HB User

Dion~
The previous post was pretty spot on accurate ( Thanks Pickle Eyes!!)
..I'll share my story.. as this is exactly my situation.
Im 39 - married- no children. Diagnosed AIS in April- Had cold knife cone biopsy on 4-17-08 with ECC and Endometrial Biopsy also, CKC margins were involved ...everything else was clear but still AIS. Repeated same procedure on 6-13- results now negative per MD - pathology report. MD said that by definition (IN SITU) - means its local- so there is less of a chance it has migrated elsewhere...had I not discovered this when I did- I'd probably be facing a more serious case.
Doctors typically recommend hysterectomy for Adenocarcinoma- but as Pickle Eyes said- yu may be able to avoid that by doing what I did- My MD agreed with my decision since Im trying to maintain fertility ( last hope!). We pursued the cold knife version of the cone biopsy - my MD stated it was the least preferred by surgeons since its the most difficult for them to do ( Bleeding)...but even at that only takes 15 minutes to do under general anesth.....however- its the most accurate and neat way to do this. LEEP using electrical/heat- tends to cauterize as it goes which while making the job neater- also damages the tissue left behind as well as the edges of the sample taken..
It is true that this can leade to an incompetant cervix in which case your wife would receive frequent monitoring and they can peform a Circlage' ( to keep the cervix closed) if needed.
Good LUCK to you and wife- hope this info helps.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Hey, NIkka, I'm glad you jumped in on that topic!

Last edited by Pickle Eyes; 07-03-2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 07-08-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
(female)

NikkaBlu HB User

Thanks Pickle!!!

Closed Thread