It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
(female)

sapita1 HB User
23 weeks pregnant and I had an abnormal pap

Surprises come in many shapes and sizes. Mine came 23 weeks ago when I found out I was pregnant with our second child. He is completely unplanned and a joyfull welcome. I'm also happen to be in my mid 30's.

I had a pap smear done that came back abnormal. I knew it had to be bad since my new OB/GYN wouldn't give me any info over the phone. Turns out I'm CIN III. We had a colposcopy done the same day. My doctor said she could see some of the growth without the magnifying gadget, and took samples. Now we play the waiting game.

I'm just wondering if there are any other women out there who are or have been pregnant when something like the above mentioned occured to them.
I need to know how this can affect my baby besides being told " The baby should be fine." I guess I need some moral support.

I'm also upset at the fact that if my doctor could see the growths; then why was this not seen during the pap? I also hate the manner in which my doctor reacted. She avoided direct eye contact with me after the proceedure and talked to my husband.Her eyes were teary. My questions were answered but not as detailed as I would have liked. I learned most of what I know over the internet (I'm a researcher by training). I am one of those people who are comforted with knowing rather than not knowing. I like to prepare for the worse and expect the best.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: 23 weeks pregnant and I had an abnormal pap

(((Sapita))) I have never been pregnant, so I can't imagine what you are facing. I *have* learned that I had cervical cancer this year. I can't answer your questions about pregnancy and CIN#, I *can* offer comfort and support!

I suggest you tell your doctor what you said in your next to last sentence: "I am one of those people who are comforted with knowing rather than not knowing."

I know that our diagnosis surprises our doctors. Mine did. I've never had a bad pap in my life. When my HPV/dna test came back positive for high risk HPV, my doctor kept saying (basically) it's a long way from this to cancer. Well. Mine is/was cancer. I feel very fortunate that my cancer was found early and that the biopsy from the hysterectomy shows all cancer was gone (taken during biopsy the day prior to hyst).

My doctor keeps saying she looks at my pathology reports (from the last 4 years) and can't believe it ended in a cancer diagnosis. I'm just in that tiny little 1%.

I'm telling you all of this because I think maybe your doctor needs to know how you feel, and to say that doctors are human (thus maybe tongue tied and not knowing how to respond).

Please let us know how you are doing.

What is your next step?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
(female)

mommyandwifey HB User

Sapita...so sorry you're going through this. I am confident though that you will find all the support you need here. There's always a listening ear! Having said that I second "Pickle's" response. Get back in touch with your DR with a list of prepared questions. I don't think you'll be satisfied until you ask him/her directly and can have a dialogue about this. You've got alot going on right now with the pregnancy and now this so I would recommend starting with a good "heart to heart" with this Dr. Then with the information he/she gives, you can make an informed decision on what should happen next.

Please keep in touch. I hope we can help you through this.

Take care.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:47 AM   #4
(female)

Ami1980 HB User

I was about the same gestation in my pregnancy ,same thing happened.
My dr was happy to let me finish my pregnancy then have treatment 10 weeks after birth.I had a healthy girl and no problems.Hope all goes well with your little one

Closed Thread