It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
(female)

hoppy55 HB User
Scared and Frustrated

I don't know where to start. 10 weeks ago my mom was having back pain and went to GP, who then sent her for a CT scan and ultrasound. Both came back positive, so he then referred her to gyn/onc. ca-125 levels came back an 8, so gyn/onc thought it was just a rupturing cyst. 2 weeks later he sent her back for another CT scan, and after 2 weeks of trying to contact him, he finally said that he wanted another ultrasound done. 2 weeks ago she had the second ultrasound done and the cyst had grown from 6 to 14 cm, but appeared to be well encapsulated, etc. Still no contact w/gyn/onc. Last week she was rushed to er for extreme abdominal pain, and the gyn/onc intern came in and examined her and told her that she did not have an "operable" abdomin and put her on pain meds and ordered another ultrasound (cyst grew another 1.5cm). mom's GP called the gyn/onc the next morning and demanded an appt which she had yesterday. Earlier Monday morning she was rushed again to ER for excrutiating pain again. Same story with the intern, but my dad refused to leave the hospital so they transferred her to gyn/onc appt in a wheelchair. He then "realized" how much pain she was in and scheduled her surgery for today.

Well, 4 hours ago the dr told my dad that it was malignant and stage 1c due to the slight perfs in the tumor wall. I know that is a very optimistic prognosis, but I can't helped being a little mad at the Dr and don't quite trust him now after 10 weeks of putting her off. If she wouldn't have been in pain I don't think he would have seen her anytime soon. I'm not at home and the Dr is going to call me to talk to me personally. He wants to start chemo in a couple of weeks.

To make a long story short, should she get a second opinion? What kind of questions should I ask b/c I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with info right now!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Scared and Frustrated

Hoppy, are you able to be there with your parents right now? I hope so.

I can't think off the top of my head what questions to ask, but wanted to say I have prayed for your mother, your family, and her doctors and caregivers.

It would be a good idea to get a second opinion (on diagnosis and treatment). If nothing else it will give some peace of mind.

I hope your mother is healing quickly!

Old 07-01-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Scared and Frustrated

Ok, I thought of a few questions, and a few web pages (without links)

Does Mom have cancer?
What type? stage?
What was causing all of her pain?
What treatments does she need?
When do those start?
Is there any information we can read to help us understand what is going on and prepare for what is coming in the future?

If this is/was ovarian cancer, you might read Gilda Radner's Story (I'm not sure of the exact title). You also need to check into the National Cancer Institute. They will have lots of information. I think one of those sites even suggests questions to ask at doctor visits (especially for those newly diagnosed).

I hope that helps.

Last edited by Pickle Eyes; 07-01-2008 at 04:15 PM. Reason: removed one national cancer organization to try to stay within rules of board

Closed Thread