It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 05:24 AM   #1
(female)

newbrunswick HB User
82 year old just diagnosed with cervical cancer

I posted originally in wrong board - so I am reposting here.

Ok, my 82 year old MIL has just been diagnosed with stage 2b cervical cancer. She had a complete hysterectomy almost 40 years ago and thought she did not need to continue with pelvic exams. As it turns out, there was still a portion of her cervix that was left in. I know that I will continue my exams until I am dead to make sure I don't get that far advanced.

So, good news, its not attached to her other organs (i.e. bladder) - however, it is very large and protruding above and below the cervix. She starts her radiation next week and has agreed to have chemo as well.

I am looking for any information I can pass onto the others as to what to expect. Shes a well loved mother of 10 kids and everyone is really scared. Alot of fighting going on as to who knows best and so I'm trying to remain technical in my approach. They are really a bunch of barbarians - no understanding of anything. At one point, one of the sisters said it was throughout the whole body and there was nothing that could be done and she was going to die in 3 days. This was before the MRI was done - so even the doctors were not sure of the extent of it.

So, any insight or things I should be looking for would be appreciated.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
(female)

TNWalker0709 HB User
Re: 82 year old just diagnosed with cervical cancer

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your MIL.

It's amazing how many doctors and patients who have had hysterectomies don't think that you have to have Paps anymore afterward. But it's not true, as I also found out the hard way. I was diagnosed with carcinoma in situ (cancer which hasn't spread yet) five years after I had a hysterectomy with cervix removal. The cancerous cells were on my vaginal cuff, where my cervix used to be. (My doctor explained that there is little differnce between the lining cells of the cervix and the vagina, so the same cancer cells can be found in either place.) I had laser surgery which hopefully got rid of the cancer cells, but I have to be checked every three months for two years to be sure they don't come back.

My prayers are with your MIL and your family. I hope everything works out okay.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

NewBrunswick, your MIL (and family) are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope she is seeing a gynecological oncologist. They are the experts when it comes to cancer.

Now, where to get information . . . I'd go to the National Cancer Institute or other big, huge, hame cancer organizations. At this point, ya'll need data and information. I highly suggest you not read a lot of people's experiences. Stick with the facts right now.

I pray your MIL is in very good medical care. Please hang around and ask whatever questions you can. We'll do our best to answer them and we'll definately be here to offer support!

Old 07-02-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
(female)

newbrunswick HB User

Thank you both for your thoughts and prayers. She will appreciate it.

I'm an optimist at heart. I'm a believer of positive energy so I am trying to get her to think good thoughts. I see cancer as an army invading the body and needs to be fought as such. I'm trying to get her to visualize them and get her own army visualized so she can send in the troops to help the doctors to fight.

Again thanks!

Old 07-22-2008, 10:03 AM   #5
(female)

newbrunswick HB User

Mil just went in yesterday to start her radiation and chemo. She was originally just getting radiation yesterday, but they said her health was strong enough to include the chemo. Of course, they took this to mean that it's not as bad as they originally thought and have their miracle. I'm all for miracles, but am objective enough to understand that this does not mean she has her miracle yet.

There is a medication she needs to take, but its not covered by her blue cross - $211.00 - which for someone on a fixed income is impossible. They are going to try to see if it can be covered.

I see mom as almost giving up - she won't do anything - says she is tired. Everyone waits on her and does everything for her. She won't go out to the stores - which she always enjoyed before. I'm worried that she is in a depression (she takes a small dose of anti-depressant), however, it is difficult to get her to be honest. She's one of those old soles that tries to be happy all the time, yet you can see in her eyes she is sad.

I'm hoping that she is able to get through the treatments she has scheduled.

Just wanted to update and of course vent on something I cant say to the family as I'm not blood. Thanks!

Old 07-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

I hope the treatment doesn't end up being worse than the disease, especially for someone her age. Of course she's depressed. She's sees that she is not immortal and that she will eventually leave this earth. It's depressing for most of us, but a reality. The radiation and chemo can cause mood changes as well as physical problems. Try to stay cheerful and keep the naysayers away from her. Always ask if there's anything she wants or anything you can do for her. I wish her the best and mostly not to suffer. God bless

Old 07-31-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
(female)

newbrunswick HB User

Thank you for your kind words. It appears that the treatment is worse then the illness. She has been taken to hospital and it appears that her heart is not able to withstand the treatment. Her numbers compared to May have tripled and she is now in congestive heart failure. I am not sure right now what they are going to do. I couldn't stay and had to come to work. As soon as I hear more, I'll write back.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Newbrunswick, I missed your update on July 22.

I'm sorry to hear she isn't doing well. She is in my prayers, as are your family members and her health care providers. Please let us know how she is doing!

Closed Thread