It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
(male)

dbobbyd HB User
Ovarian 3C - 2 surgeries, 2 chemos - sahare with me

On 7th of January 2007, after the surgical intervention (hysterecto and oophorecto) of my wife, I have been told that she has ovarian cancer stage 3C. They couldn't remove all the tumor, a part of it has involved the pelvic artery and touched the bowel for a 10-15 cm. Chemo was the next step, and at the end of it the CA125 decreased from >500 to 8. After 6 months it raised up to 57 and they found that the tumor is back, in the same place. Another doctor, recommended by the first one, has operated my wife and said that al the tumor was removed this time (the bowel was also shortened with 15 cm but without artificial anus). He sugested my wife to follow he same protocol (paclitaxel/carboplatin) as the first one. After 3 cycles the CA125 droped down to 6 but now, when chemo is finished (last cycle was 3 weeks ago), the CA is 12.
Is it possible that this time the treatment has not been efficient? Some doctors said that the second chemo should be different. I think it was a good decission (following the protocol from [url]http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/PDF/ovarian.pdf[/url]).
What should I expect now? Allways I told my wife to keep trying to heal herself also by her mind (I'm trying also with my mind when go to sleep).
It must be an explanation about the fact that two persons, with the same desease, the same stage, the same surgeries and same treatment, can have two totaly different behaviours.
A colleague of mine just told me that her mother is still very well after 8 years from the stage 3C breast cancer diagnosis.

I love my wife... I'm so said... like many others...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
(female)

Ladynimue49 HB User
Re: Ovarian 3C - 2 surgeries, 2 chemos - sahare with me

First I want to say how sorry I am about your wife's diagnosis of 3C ovarian cancer. Too many women, like me are not diagnosed until they are in stage
3C. I'm also sorry she had to go through 2 surgeries. One was enough for me
in December 2005.

I was given 6 treatments of chemo after my surgery over a 6 month period.
My CA125 level dropped a great deal. Then I had 12 treatments of what
they called maintenance chemo (taxol) over the next year. I have been
done with chemo for over a year and I feel pretty good. I get my CA125
checked every 3 months and a CT Scan every 6 months.

I think your wife's CA125 level of 12 is quite good, I think anything under
30 is OK. I feel a positive attitude helps too. I try not to worry about
anything unless there is something to worry about. You are right that every
person's case is different, so I don't read too much medical stuff. I ask my
doctor questions about my own case.
I hope I have helped in some way, cancer is such an awful thing to have in
your life and spouses deal with it as well as the patient.
But I look at my life in a different way because of it and try to enjoy my life
and not put things off.
Take care of one another and best of luck.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-04-2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: unnecessary quote

Old 07-04-2008, 09:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Dbobbyd, I'm sad to hear of your wife's diagnosis. I have little knowledge of ovarian cancer, so I have little advice. I just wanted to say I wish her the best of healthcare. I also wish both of you understanding, and peace of mind!

Old 07-05-2008, 12:37 AM   #4
(male)

dbobbyd HB User

Thanks to all for the replays!

Ladynimue,

I'm sorry you are in the same situation!
After you finished the treatment have you got your CA125 values at the constant level? I mean without any fluctuations?
My wife's phisical shape is very good, exept the problem with the hair, but the CA value is scaring us. She just finished the chemicals and waited for her hair to grow back but this rapid evolution of CA is devastating. As I said before, having some tumor spots in her body, she got the CA level continuously downward during the treatment, the lowest level was at the end of chemo - 8,06 and 8,13 three moths later. But now, after the second surgery and another chemo, without any visible tumor, CA level is 6 during the treatment (after 3 cycles of chemo) and 12 at the end of chemo. It sounds very bad for me, even if I'm thinking in a positive way. I'm just trying to find answers for my wife.

Why the maintenance therapy is not given all the time? Some receive and some don't.

Last edited by dbobbyd; 07-05-2008 at 12:40 AM. Reason: mistakes

Old 07-05-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
(female)

Ladynimue49 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbobbyd View Post
Thanks to all for the replays!

Ladynimue,

I'm sorry you are in the same situation!
After you finished the treatment have you got your CA125 values at the constant level? I mean without any fluctuations?
My wife's phisical shape is very good, exept the problem with the hair, but the CA value is scaring us. She just finished the chemicals and waited for her hair to grow back but this rapid evolution of CA is devastating. As I said before, having some tumor spots in her body, she got the CA level continuously downward during the treatment, the lowest level was at the end of chemo - 8,06 and 8,13 three moths later. But now, after the second surgery and another chemo, without any visible tumor, CA level is 6 during the treatment (after 3 cycles of chemo) and 12 at the end of chemo. It sounds very bad for me, even if I'm thinking in a positive way. I'm just trying to find answers for my wife.

Why the maintenance therapy is not given all the time? Some receive and some don't.
Hi dbobbyd,
I have to say that I've never really followed my CA125 levels that much.
I figured if they were too high my doctor would let me know. I think once
it was up to 15 but he was not concerned. I hope your wife has a good
relationship with her oncologist and she can talked to him about her concerns
and yours. If her oncologist thinks there is a new problem he/she will
probably want a CT Scan done. But it sounds to me like your wife is doing
well right now. She will feel better when her hair comes back in, I did.
Try to feel good about how your wife is feeling now. If you are worried she may get worried as well. Finally, if you still have questions or concerns ask her
doctor. If you are not happy with her treatment, you might want to think
about finding another oncologist.
Good luck and think good thoughts.

Closed Thread