It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User
What to expect at dr. appt.

I am going to my doctor tomorrow and I would like some input on what I should ask for or expect them to do.

My symptoms are..changing periods (I'm almost 40 and my at my annual exam in April she told me it's normal to be having some changes). Sometimes they are really early, but most times they are really late. Not the usual 28 days I used to have. After my last period ended, I had 4 or 5 days of brownish discharge. I have never had brownish discharge before. This past month I have been cramping on and off. I notice it most at night, maybe because I'm not so busy then. I'm pretty sure I had it the month before too but not as much. Sometimes my lower abdomen feels very tender, like if my daughter sits on my lap and there is a little pressure it hurts. In the past two weeks I have been feeling very full and bloated all the time. I have to urinate a lot. I drink a lot of water, so I guess that's expected, but the feeling of having to go is different than I have felt before.

I made the mistake of looking up symptoms and ovarian cancer comes up. I have a feeling that my doctor is going to tell me it's just aging or whatever. Should I insist on some testing? Is it likely that she'll do an exam or just feel my abdomen? Will she be able to tell if further tests are needed?

Maybe I am over reacting. I have a tendancy to worry too much about things. Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: What to expect at dr. appt.

Hi Mom22greatkids!

I had some of the symptoms you explained. Swelling in my abdomen (when I don't think I've ever had that before in my life). Extended brown discharge after my period, making my period (and need for protection) longer than years past. It sounds like your periods are getting further apart. Mine were getting closer together, and lasting longer.

I had a huge fibroid (9.3cm). Otherwise, I had occasional ovarian cysts (normal).

Tell your doctor what your symptoms are, and what your concerns are. Write out your questions so you don't forget them. My doctor(s) seem to take me more serious if I have my questions written.

Other than that, I'm wondering if your doctor has performed the HPV/DNA test on you yet? My doctor did for the first time at my last pap. My doctor has started offering it to women who are 30+ years old. (I'm 44). I'm glad she did that test, because my paps have always come back good. (and then there is the rest of my story, which doesn't apply to your situation). If your doctor hasn't tested you for HPV, you might ask her if she will.

That's all I can think of for now. I hope your doctor gives you some good information!

Old 07-07-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Hi, thanks for the reply. Do you think hpv could cause these symptoms? I also post on the hpv board and I remember your story. I was diagnosed with hpv in (I think, one year is running into the next) 2004. She did an ECC also and was okay as far as I know. I did not get any treatment, and my paps since have been normal, but I am still hpv positive as of my April appointment. Were your abnormal periods due to the hpv?

Thanks for the suggestion about writing things down. I always seem to draw a blank or forget important things while talking to the dr. I will definitely write everything out.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

I don't know if my changing period-pattern was because of the damage from the HPV or not. I think it is *possible*, but not probably. I suspect it had more to do with the fibroid, but who knows. I also suspect it might have to do with my hypothyroid and/or starting to approach menopause. But it didn't make sense for my period to be coming more frequently the closer to menopause.

I guess all of that is to say, I don't know, but I don't think so. That isn't much help, is it.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Yes, it does help! Thank you.

Closed Thread