It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
(female)

Liv HB User
Colposcopy Soon - Mod. Cervical Dysolasia, CIN II, Q'S???

The pathology clinic accidentally mailed the results to my home and I found out I have Moderate Dysplasia, Carcinoma in situ, CIN II. My colposcopy is scheduled next week and I'm not sure what to ask at that appointment. Can anyone help?

Thank you so much.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:10 AM   #2
(female)

mommyandwifey HB User
Re: Colposcopy Soon - Mod. Cervical Dysolasia, CIN II, Q'S???

Hi Liv! Sorry you had to receive your results this way. Were the results those of a pap or a colposcopy? They seem to be from colpo but then again you mentioned your colpo is next week so I was a bit confused by that. In any case, I wouldn't wait until next week. I'd call the Dr. now to discuss the results and his/her plan of action post colpo. Also what kind of dysplasia/in situ was it...of the squamous cells, glandular etc and where were the abnormalities found...on the "face" of the cervix (frosting of the doughnut as PickleEyes would say) or in the endocervical canal (inside the doughnut hole)? None of this may be known if the results were from a PAP. Finally, I'd simply ask the Dr an open ended question "Where do we go from here to get me back on track to being healthy" and see what he/she offers. Listen carefully and if it doesn't sound right in your gut or if it doesn't sound like an aggressive enough plan, don't feel bad about seeking another opinion. I'd be surprised also if someone doesn't stop by and even recommend seeking a 2nd opinion from an onc-gynecologist.

I hope this helps. If nothing more, know that you will find great support here!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Colposcopy Soon - Mod. Cervical Dysolasia, CIN II, Q'S???

Hi Liv! I'm sorry to hear you found out about your pathology report this way. In addition to Mommyandwifey's questions, I have a few suggestions.

My first suggestion is to write a list of questions and take that list to the doctor's appointment. You might take 2 copies, one for the doctor to look at and one for you to write answers on. Leave room for information.

Secondly, if you aren't seeing a gyn/onco, I highly suggest it since you have carsinoma in situ. Gyn/oncos see this every day and they know what they are looking at. I believe they are a little more proactive (not so much wait-and-see), especially in testing.

Third, like Mommyandwifey, it sounds like you've had a colposcopy already (Paps don't give CIS or CIN information, I don't think). If you are scheduled for another colposcopy, then I highly recommend you ask for an ECC (endocervical curettage). It scrapes the endocervical canal (the inside of the donut hole). The colposcopy cannot see in there.
(I also suggest you read about ECCs and know what to expect prior to the appointment - they can be quite painful, but only for a minute or two. The pain, in my humble opinion is VERY worth it. That is how my doctor found my adenocarcinoma in situ. Otherwise, we'd think I was ok because of my history of good paps. Instead, it ended up being adenocarcinoma Ia1, which is only microinvasion cancer and very easily treatable.)

That's my suggestions for now. Please write back and let us know how things go.

Closed Thread