It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
(female)

cody48 HB User
Ovarian Cancer?

I went to my GYN for my annual exam Thursday. All has been going well with me EXCEPT there has been two occassions where I have had a full bloated feeling. Keep in mind this has only happened twice in almost two years so I contributed this to just something going on with my gastrointestional tract and it clears up in about 5 days back to normal. My only other problem has been some pain in the ovary area a few times. Again this may only happen once or twice a year and has occurred over a period of years. I happened to mention it to my doctor since it has recently happened on my left side and normally it is always on my right. I am 59 and post menopausal. He has scheduled me for a transvaginal ultrasound (or sonogram) to just "make sure" that all is okay. I am adopted so there is no medical history and he says that ovarian cancer has a tendency to be genetic.

I'm scared to death. My mind keeps telling me that since this has been going on for a while that it's nothing serious. Any words of wisdom? My appt. is schedule for 7/30. It will be a long wait.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
(female)

TNWalker0709 HB User
Re: Ovarian Cancer?

Hi,

If your symptoms have been going on for two years and haven't increased in severity or frequency, there's probably little to worry about. Ovarian cancer usually advances very quickly.

I'm glad your doctor is being cautious and ordering the ultrasound. It'll set your mind at ease.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
(female)

cody48 HB User

Thank you so much for your words. Will let you know. It's just a very scary and then you read this board and you get even MORE frightened. God bless all of these who are going thru these difficult diseases.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

negot HB Usernegot HB User

Hi Cody, as far as I know the bloated feeling doesn't go away when you have ovarian cancer and like the other poster said, the cancer advances quickly. A friend of mine, sadly, has ovarian cancer and her belly got bigger and bigger. As far as the pain in the ovaries, I've had that off and on for a long time. I have ovarian cysts which are painful.
Try not to worry and let us know how it goes.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #5
(female)

cody48 HB User

Thanks Nelli, my appointment is this Wednesday. One minute I feel very confident and calm and the next fearful. I'm a worrier anyway and look forward to being able to put this to rest. Again, thanks for your reply.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:04 PM   #6
(female)

Ladynimue49 HB User

Just my 2 cents, but I have stage 3c ovarain cancer and have been throught a year and
a half of treatment. One thing I've learned and I'll tell you what it is.
Try not to worry until you have something to worry about. Of course that's easier said
than done. Good luck on Wednesday.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladynimue49 View Post
Try not to worry until you have something to worry about. Of course that's easier said
than done. Good luck on Wednesday.
I second this very wise advice!

Good luck and please report back!

Old 07-30-2008, 03:22 PM   #8
(female)

cody48 HB User

Well, I went for my ultrasound this morning and the technician had difficulty getting a pictures. She asked that I drink more water and they would try again..still didn't work. I felt that something wasn't right and the doctor told me that they found a "mass" and wanted me to go for a CAT scan tomorrow. We scheduled it and I went downstairs in the same building to get everything that I needed. While there I was told that they were free and could do it today so I drank my liquid, waited about 1 1/2 hrs and drank more and they did the scan. I was able to walk right back upstairs to see my doctor for the results. Turns out I have some crazy type of ovarian cyst that is the size of an orange and has been there for a LONG time (so he said). I will have to have it out and my doctor said that he would remove the ovaries and everything else (total hysterectomy). I asked why and he said that at my age that "going in" for him to remove a cyst of that size along with one ovary that it only make sense to remove everything. I should hear back from my CACT bloodtests (believe that is what it was called) in about 5 days.

The doctor said that this WASN'T cancer but he is such an optimist that I wonder if he was just being optimistic. (Guess you can see I'm more of a pessimist). I guess I should be upset with all of this but after worrying about cancer, having a hysterectomy seems okay. Now I just have to start doing research as to what is ahead for me.

Thanks for those who responded. Appreciate all of you and your concern.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Cody, I'm glad you have an idea of what is going on!

I highly recommend you getting a second opinion. I'm concerned that he wants to do the total hyst and removing both ovaries just because it is easier for him. But then I'm the type of person who wants to leave healthy body parts and remove only the damaged ones. :twocents:

Old 07-31-2008, 10:40 AM   #10
(female)

TLValiant HB User

Cody,

I agree that a 2nd opinion might be in order. The reason I am saying this is I also have a large cyst on my left ovary. Actually it is 2 cysts together that is about as large as an orange. Mine has been causing bloating and so much pain I am on vicodin and darvocet to try and help me function until I have surgery. I am concerned that they would want to do a complete hysterectomy just for this cyst. I would ask them to explain why they want to do this. My doctor is only removing my left ovary because this the 2nd time I have had this issue in 2 years. She never said anything about taking everything. I have a little bit of concern because one of my cysts is complex but I not going to worry until they tell me something I need to worry about. Of course this is just my opinion.

Terry

Old 08-03-2008, 12:35 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

negot HB Usernegot HB User

Cody, first, I doubt seriously that your doctor told you it is not cancer unless he was 100% sure. I've had both ovarian cysts, fibroids and HPV and none of the staff is willing to tell you anything although they are looking at the ultrasound monitor. Doctors nowadays are so afraid of law suits that any doctor who tells a patient that it is not cancer without being completely sure would be stupid. The second thing I wanted to tell you is that it seems that doctors want to remove "everything" as soon as there is a problem down there and the woman is not young. Last year at age 47 I was going to have a fibroid removed from my uterus. The doctor told me that he would like to do hysterectomy. I said no. Although I don't exactly need my uterus since I won't be having children, I still didn't want him to remove it. Get a second opinion and see if it is really necessary to remove everything. I am so glad that it was "only" a big cyst. I've had ovarian cysts, but never large ones. My fibroids have been the size of a grapefruit though.

Closed Thread