It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2008, 03:31 AM   #1
(female)

RebeccaG HB User
Biopsy and LEEP

I had a gynecological exam 3 weeks ago and just found out yesterday morning that my pap smear was abnormal. I'm a bit confused and would appreciate any help I can get. I have severe dysplasia (what?) and will be having a biopsy and a LEEP on 7/29. I'm 39 and have just started trying to conceive with my husband of 2 1/2 years (my first and only husband....I waited a long time for God to bring me the man He made for me). My OB-GYN was convinced that I wasn't ovulating based on what my body has been through over the past 10 months and my description of my cycle so he put me on Metformin and Clomid. Those are supposed to help me ovulate. When his nurse called me today, she told me repeatedly that the biopsy and the LEEP would NOT affect my fertility. Is that true?

We had to put off starting a family because I had a bad hip. I had right total hip replacement surgery on 9/11/07 and during surgery, my sciatic nerve was stretched. As a result, I have little sensory and no motor function below my right knee. I had a staph infection in the prosthetic hip joint and had to have another major surgery 2 1/2 weeks after the hip replacement surgery. I was on Cipro for about 3 1/2 months and that kept us from being cleared to attempt conception. Once we got it, I decided to have a gynecological exam and here we are. In light of all of this, I'm not sure my husband is ever going to come near me again!!! LOL

I would like to ask you ladies who have been through this to advise me. Especially regarding future conception. I would appreciate any knowledge, ideas, suggestions, etc. Please help me. My Mom passed away unexpectedly a year and a half ago and I have no women in my family to lean on. Please step up and help a fellow woman who just wants to live a normal life and have children. I don't know if I will ever be able to give birth to a child. I know what I want but just like everybody else, I don't know what I'll get.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2008, 06:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Biopsy and LEEP

Hi RebeccaG, I'm glad you found us. It sounds like you've really been through a lot.

Yes, after a woman has a biopsy (cold knife cone?) and LEEP she could still conceive (given there are no other problems). The only problem that I know of is the cervix could become incontinent. If the doctors think this will happen, then they will put a cerclage in the cervix to keep the baby in until deliver. I believe the baby is then delivered by caesarian.

Let us know if you have any other questions. We'll do our best to answer them!

Closed Thread