It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
(female)

chastainchica HB User
Just Diagnosed with Cervical Cancer...SO Scared!!!

Hello Everyone,
This is my first time posting. 3 days ago I found out I have cervical cancer. Just two months ago, I had a colposcopy which came back with severe displaysia. Then, after a LEEP procedure just last week, the results came back as cancer! My doctor was very puzzled that it progressed this fast, but has already set me up for a gynelogical oncologist for this tuesday morning.

I am very scared and confused. I have one baby girl, Allie, who is 10 months old and the apple of my eye. But, my husband and I were hoping to have a few more! This is what makes me the most sad of all!!

I am only 28 years old, and feel I am too young for all this! Can anybody tell me what to expect at my first onologist appointment?

Any encouragement offered would be greatly appreciated!!

Rachel:confused

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Just Diagnosed with Cervical Cancer...SO Scared!!!

Hi Rachel! I had a similar story.

I went for my pap and HPV test in December. In January, the results came back with positive for high risk HPV. I went to a gyno who did a colposcopy, no biopsy, but an ECC. The ECC came back adnocarcinoma in situ. She then did a cone biopsy which came back adenocarinoma Ia1. I went to a gyn/onc. Two months later I had my hyst. I'm now 4 weeks post op.

I am 44 and do not have children (partially by chance, partially by choice). I have been married for 16 years.

Do you know what kind of cancer you have? squamous cell or glandular cell? If you haven't asked for a copy of your pathology report, ask for one. Do you know your stage?

At my first appointment with my gyn/onc it was a regular doctor visit (weight, height, blood pressure, etc) and she did a pelvic exam. She went over the pathology report from my cone biopsy and we talked about needed treatment. For me, that treatment was a hyst. I had several ways to "get there."

You need to let your doctor know you would like to have another child. Your doctor will be able to tell you about the risks involved in that.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. The diagnosis is scary. The waiting is torturous. The good news is you've found us here and we can help encourage you and help you as best as we can. (((hugs)))

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
(female)

chastainchica HB User

The doctor told me it was "squamous" kind of cancer, which I believe is the lesser of the two?

Thank you pickle for responding. I am trying to keep as busy as possible, so I don't sit around and think about it too much.

I don't know my stage yet, but am so scared that I won't be able to have any more children. My doctor (reg Ob/gny) told me he has seen patients who were able to keep their ovaries, and then were able to use a surrogate mother. Does anybody have experience with this or know somebody who has?

Thanks for any response/info! I am glad I found this website....

Rachel

Old 07-20-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Yes Rachel, atypical squamous cells grow more slowly than glandular cells, and they are easier to see/find. Squamous cells are on the exocervix. That is where the doctor does a pap and where the colposcopy "sees." Glandular cells are in the canal beyond the "eyes" of the colposcopy. Also, atypical squamous cells tend to grow out, to neighboring cells, as opposed to glandular cells which skip over good cells and create leisions here, there, and elsewhere.

You might ask your doctor if there is any chance he/she can just take the cervix (for now - then take the uterus later). I *think* the name is "trachelectomy" when they remove only the cervix. From what I read (and I don't recall how old the info was) said it could be used in early stage I cancer - but don't quote me on that.

I hope that helps!

Closed Thread