It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2008, 10:45 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Bernice HB User
Ovarian Cyst/Merina IUD

In November 2007 I started getting long, heavy periods. I went for an ultrasound which showed cysts in both ovaries and a small fibroid. My doctor said she doesn't think it's anything to worry about. I get an ultrasound every few months to keep an eye on these cysts. I had a CA-125 test done which was normal. In Feb 2008, I had a merina IUD inserted to help with the heavy bleeding. My doctor told me that after about 6 months, my periods will stop completely. After the first couple months my periods seem to be lighter but still lasting about 10 days. In June, it was light and it lasted for 10 days. On July 18th, I got my period but it was very light, nothing on July 19th. July 20th-July 23rd, it was light. Then on July 24th and July 25th, it was heavy with a lot of blood clot. On July 26th and today it's light again. I called my doctor and she said that it's normal for my periods to be irregular. I thought my periods would get lighter and lighter? I don't spot between periods, only bleed light and heavy and long when my period comes. Does anyone know anything about the merina IUD? Is it normal for my periods to be light, then heavy then light again and lasting long and irregular? Any information is appreciated.

Thank You,

Bernice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2008, 07:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: Ovarian Cyst/Merina IUD

Hi,

I thought that this type of IUD was associated with development of cysts so why on earth would they have put you on it ? Read your insert and see if you can find the Mirena IUD website to see if this is indeed the case.

The heavy bleeding with bloodclots may be due to the thinning of your endometrial lining. Most hormonal contraceptives are associated with a three month "adjustment" period when your cycle is haywire. I was on Triphasil for over 20 years when I began to experience spotting with small bloodclots and then very heavy irregular bleeding with big bloodclots. Seems the pill had weakened my endometrial lining and the progesterone in the pill caused my lining to completely atrophy. This in turn caused small varicose vein like structures in the lining and they began to bleed. Ever since I went off the pill I have had normal periods.

I have an 8 cm simple cyst on my left ovary which they are keeping an eye on and I am certain that this developed while on the pill (it was discovered shortly after I began to experience pain from my bleeding problem). Too much progesterone can cause cysts to grow (not just too much estrogen) and I personally believe that this is what caused both my bleeding and my cyst.

Read your insert and see if anything is mentioned about ovarian cysts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread