It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
(female)

Veronica7 HB User
Need more info. on ovarian cysts

Could someone give me some more info. on ovarian cysts? If you read my other post , I was just told I have a "resolving ovarian cyst". I am unsure what that means. I was given no more info. about it, ie size, etc. I was just told "resolving cyst" & don't worry about it. I just talked to a nurse, not my doctor about the results of my ultrasound (it's impossible to get a hold of my doctor, I think I need to find someone else) anyways -does anyone have any more info for me? Will this happen every month? I have had this pain off and on for years, does that mean that I keep getting cysts? I had such bad pain in my lower right front and back and it felt like I was bleeding inside- it felt so hot, does that mean rupture? Can a cyst cause diarrhea? Does having cysts put you at more of a risk for cancer? I need to find a better doctor who will give me more info I think. But if anyone has had ovarian cysts and has any more info. for me it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited by Veronica7; 07-21-2008 at 11:03 PM.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
(female)

TNWalker0709 HB User
Re: Need more info. on ovarian cysts

Hi Veronica,

I know you must be relieved to find that you don't have cancer, though cysts can still cause a lot of problems, even though they are not as serious.

Ovarian cysts are very common in women of childbearing years. Every month when you ovulate, there is a small fluid-filled bubble on your ovaries that contains the egg. When the egg is released, usually that bubble will collapse and shrink, but occasionally they don't and they continue to grow. These lingering fluid-filled cysts are called functional cysts. They can become very large and cause a lot of different symptoms, such as pain in the abdomen and even up into the shoulder, bloating, constipation, diarrhea, abnormal periods, nausea, etc. In most cases, these cysts will resolve within a few months on their own. If they don't, then there are medications which can be given or surgery can be performed to either remove just the cyst or to remove the entire ovary.

Sometimes cysts display "abnormal" characteristics such as walls within the cysts or solid components. These are called complex cysts. They can be more troublesome and in rare cases can be cancerous. They also may take longer to resolve or disappear.

Ruptured cysts can cause severe pain, fever, and vomiting. If this occurs, you should see your doctor as soon as possible.

Ovarian cysts can occur at any time, though they may not cause the same problems each time. There may be times you don't even know that you have a cyst and there may be times that a very small cyst causes a lot of pain and other symptoms. It does seem that some women are more prone to cysts. There is even a condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome in which a woman might have many cysts form each month.

If you're not happy with your doctor, I encourage you to get a second opinion. However, I doubt that you have anything to be concerned about.

By the way, I was diagnosed with several ovarian cysts in 2005 and continued to have problems until last year, when I had both ovaries removed because of a solid, complex cyst (tumor) on my left ovary and a functional cyst on my right ovary. (I had a previous hysterectomy in 2002.) The complex cyst had caused me a lot of pain and I actually had all of the symptoms of ovarian cancer, including a 25 weight loss. It's been a relief not to have to worry about all of that anymore.

Good luck with everything. I hope you get some relief soon.

Last edited by TNWalker0709; 07-22-2008 at 11:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2008, 11:02 PM   #3
(female)

Veronica7 HB User

The doctors office called back and said that they found blood in my urine sample. They want me to come back in in two weeks to retest it and said that maybe it's kidney stones. I am not having the pain associated with kidney stones. I am having stabbing pains on my right side where they say I have a "resolving cyst" and it feels very hot inside like it is bleeding or something. Can an ovarian cyst cause blood in the urine?

Old 07-22-2008, 05:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello Veronica,

I doubt very much that the resolving ovarian cyst is causing blood in your urine. The information that TNWalker gave you is extremely accurate and the resolving cyst that you have is probably just a normal functional cyst that is following its natural course.

Blood in the urine sounds more like a kidney or bladder issue and the stabbing pains are more likely related to this and not to the ovarian cyst. Have they told you to drink a lot of water ? This might not be a bad idea if you have kidney stones. Can they not verify whether it is indeed kidney stones that are causing the blood ? Urinary tract infections can also do this
(I know this has happened to me before) as can bladder infections. However, you would probably know if you had a UTI because you would have the urge to pee frequently.

If you are unsatisfied with your doctor, find another one. It will be worth it in the long run. Let us know what the doctor says.

Estria

Closed Thread