It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
(female)

Helena1534 HB User
Who has had success with LEEP

I had a pap come back with unspecified abnormal cells. I had a colpo and biopsy which showed moderate (CIN 2) and severe (CIN 3) dysplasia. I had a lot of cramping for two to three days after my biopsy. I have my LEEP scheduled for Friday and the gyno said that she was going to do a big LEEP and that they would monitor me closer. She also said not to worry. How much pain should I expect and what are the chances that this is it and I will be fine after.
Thanks for your support.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
(female)

TigerLily HB User
Re: Who has had success with LEEP

Hi there, I had severe dysplasia in 2004. I had the LEEP procedure done. I was not put under, only local anesthetic and it was definitely uncomforable but not terrible. My paps have been completely normal since then!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Hi Helena!

I didn't have a LEEP, but had a cone biopsy (which I think is more invasive than a LEEP). I had the procedure that morning at about 8, was home by noon. I slept most of that day, but was able to get on the computer for a bit that evening after I ate dinner. I went to bed early. The next day I took it easy, but didn't have to stay in bed.

As far as pain, I took over the counter ibuprofen. I had an occasional cramp/pain, but it usually passed within a few seconds.

I hope that helps.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

babydoll20 HB User

Hey there, I was diagnosed with moderate to severe dysplasia, had a colp and biospy done last June ( 2007). I then had a LEEP in July of 2007. I deffinetly had a fair amount of cramping with the colp/biopsy, which lasted about 2 days. With the LEEP, the healing afterwards was alot less crampy. I bled for about 6 weeks, and developed an infection from the procedure, but took antibiotics and was fine. Watch out for a strong smell ( you can't miss it, seriously, lol).

Overall, I'd say the colp/biopsy was more painful afterwards than the leep was. I found the leep a bit more uncomfortable during the procedure, but it wasn't anything scarey ( I had worked myself up quite a bit). For me, the most uncomfortable part of the LEEP was the shot of adrenaline. The shot itself didn't really hurt much, but the side effects from the adrenaline ( heart racing, legs shaking, ringing in ears) bothered me ( but not everyone has these effects).

Anyways, The leep was more than a piece of cake, really. I took an ativan, so the whole way home I was laughing and giggling. Since then, my 6 month check up came back abnormal ( which he said is common, as your cells may still be healing), but my year check up came back completely normal. Good luck!

Last edited by babydoll20; 08-16-2008 at 10:52 AM.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
(female)

Steph8681 HB User

Hey guys,
LEEP success I think is more measured by wether or not it comes back... not how well the procedure went. For me, I was put under be cause I had severe dysplasia (CIN 3). When they finally got in there the doc found that it has spread to the rest of the vagina and everything was severely dieased. I was in a lot of pain afterwards in recovery- due to how much they had to take caurterize. The blood and cramping was terrible and the smell is unforgetable. I ran a fever for a while and had a hard time getting back on my feet..which is not like me. Anyway, for my 6 week follow up the doc found that I was far from healed and I must go back again. She also said that they didn't get it all. Paps and another LEEP is in the works for future months to come. So...my conclusion? Very little sucess so far.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph8681 View Post
Hey guys,
LEEP success I think is more measured by wether or not it comes back... not how well the procedure went.

I totally agree. She asked specifically about healing, so that is what I answered. My cone biopsy sucessfully diagnosed adenocarcinoma Ia1 which led me to my hysterectomy. In my case, the cone was diagnostic only, not treatment.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
(female)

Steph8681 HB User

Of course pickle eyes, I did not mean to be insulting. You are always so helpful and I thank you for your insight.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
(female)

Helena1534 HB User

Thanks everyone for your responses. I healed better from my LEEP then I did from the biopsy but I did take it alot easier then I did after the biopsy. The pathology report showed that my margins are clear and that the LEEP removed all the abnormal tissue. The doctor said the abnormal cells may return if HPV is present and they might have to do it again.

Thanks again for all the thoughtful responses. I appreciate all of your feedback!

Old 08-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

No problem, Steph!

And Helena, I'm so glad your results came back with clear margins! What a relief! Now, just be sure you don't miss any scheduled paps! You don't want to ever let that laps.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:41 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

I had a LEEP two and a half years ago for CIS/CIN III and I have had normal Paps ever since.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

It is always so good to hear about women having success with the less invasive treatments for HPV. Thanks for chiming in, Timber!

Old 09-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Eyes View Post
It is always so good to hear about women having success with the less invasive treatments for HPV. Thanks for chiming in, Timber!
I spent a lot of time on this board when I was going through the whole abnormal Pap situation so I like to come back from time to time to remind everyone that things can turn out ok. Usually the people doing well don't come back and it gives the impression that nobody recovers.

LEEP was very easy for me and I'm very excited that my Paps have continued to come back normal since

Closed Thread