It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
(female)

dolores79 HB User
Is it possible..??

to have had negative PAPs year after year, a negative biopsy, and still end up having some sort of cancer?.
thanks!
Dolores

Old 07-25-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kilgore52 HB User
Re: Is it possible..??

Quote:
Originally Posted by doloresmc View Post
to have had negative PAPs year after year, a negative biopsy, and still end up having some sort of cancer?.
thanks!
Dolores
ARE YOU SPECULATING OR DO YOU HAVE A BAD PAP? LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO TRY TO WORRY YOUSELF ABOUT SOMETHING THAT MAY NEVER HAPPEN? CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR. BE POSITIVE AND GET BUSY WITH A HAPPY LIFE. GOD ONLY KNOWS.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
(female)

TNWalker0709 HB User

Sure, anything is likely. If you don't mind elaborating, what are your concerns?

Last edited by TNWalker0709; 07-25-2008 at 07:43 PM.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
(female)

dolores79 HB User

thank you for your replies..this is the situation
I'm a 36 year old mom of 2, done having kids..husband had vasectomy 4 years ago..I had endometrial ablation almost 2 years ago..They did a biopsy prior to the ablation that came back normal. In march I had an abnormal PAP, all they told me then was that it showed atypical squamous cells, and to repeat in 3 months because it could have been a small infection of some sort. Repeated last month and got a call today to tell me doctor wants to do a colposcopy now because PAP is still abnormal. That's all they told me..They never mentioned HPV..but last PAP he took a small sample and said they could perform more tests if they needed to..The more I read about it the more worried I get that they haven't told me much yet..I'm afraid really bad news are awaiting me when I finally get to see him.. Until now I was trying to stay possitive, but I guess it finally hit me that there may be something really wrong after all.
thanks!
Dolores

Old 07-26-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doloresmc View Post
thanks!
Dolores
Yes, it is possible. But wait until you have more data to start worrying!

I suggest you go ahead and call your doctor's office to ask if they tested for HPV. I also suggest you ask for copies of your pathology reports from the 2 paps.

If you really want to be certain they check everything, you might ask your doctor about an ECC (endocervical curettage). When he/she does the colposcopy, he/she might take a biopsy of anything that is atypical on the exocervix. The ECC is kind of like a pap, but it scrapes the endocervical canal where the colposcopy can't see.

Think of the cervix like a frosted donut. The colposcopy and its biopsy sample the frosted part. The ECC scrapes the donut hole where the frosting didn't reach. That's over simplification, but the analogy works for me.

Have you scheduled your colpo yet?

Old 07-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
(female)

mommyandwifey HB User

I second Pickle and would certainly ask for the results of the HPV. Take care and post again soon.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #7
(female)

dolores79 HB User

thanks again for your replies..My colposcopy is scheduled for August 5th (next tuesday) and I've decided I'll start worrying then..Will I know the results right then?. I'm also hoping whatever it is, has been caught early enough.
Thanks!
Dolores

Old 07-29-2008, 10:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Doloresmc, the doctor will have to send off the samples from your biopsies and/or ECC for them to be read in a pathology lab. It will probably take 3-7 days to get those results back.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:45 PM   #9
(female)

mommyandwifey HB User

Like Pickle said...the samples will need to be sent off. I would however ask the Dr his/her opinion on what he/she saw. They see enough of this to have an idea. When I went for my colpo, I asked her opinion. Her response was "well it's definately not In Situ...I know what that looks like and it's not that". I followed up and asked her again and she replied "maybe CIN I but we'll have to wait and see". Turns out she was right and wrong. Right that it wasn't In Situ. THank God! Wrong that it wasn't even CIN I...it was only atyplical and not even dysplasia yet. So will they know exactly...no but will they have some faint idea...they should.

Hope this helps!

Closed Thread