It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2008, 10:42 PM   #1
(female)

browneyez77 HB User
Arrow Abnormalities to Cervix "Extensive"

Hello everyone,
I came across the boards while Googling every term I could come up with relating to cervical cancer. I am tired (for now) of statistics, case studies, and informational topics! I have info seeping out of my eyeballs. I am just really afraid. I think real people with real information, encouragement, and stories might be more beneficial for me at this point.
I went for a routine pap on June 11. Let me add that I had been feeling for months that something was wrong with me. I hadn't had a pap in almost 5 years. (I know...real smart huh? I have lots of excuses that I like to say are reasons, but it is what it is.) Well, no surprise that I got a call 3 days later saying that my pap was abnormal. It came back HGSIL (high grade squamous intraepithelial lesions). I was sent to see another doctor and had another pap with her and tons of blood work. I was scheduled for the colpo biopsy on July 7..but woke up to my menstrual cycle. What luck! So no biopsy..it was rescheduled for the 28th (this past Monday). It was a truly awful experience. I don't like pain or anything...but can handle it. Well, let me tell you..I almost jumped off the table and ran away. She said that it was so painful because she had to take so many samples because the abnormalitites to my cervix were "EXTENSIVE". She scheduled me for cryosurgery (she said 2 sessions at least) beginning on Aug 18. I feel like that will change. She said that if my biopsy was worse than what we already know I will have to go into the hospital for a cone biopsy. I'm not trying to be negative but she really sounded like she expects my biopsy to worse. She also said that antibodies for HSV-2 (Herpes Simplex Virus-2 or genital herpes)showed my blood work. I must have cried for 3 hours straight about that! I am so upset over that and thought that it had to be a mistake. I have NEVER had any symptoms of that..I have never even had a cold sore or fever blister in my whole life. I have been married for 11 years! She says that I could have came into contact with it at any time in my past and never known it. I started doing research ( of course! lol) and found that 80% of people carry the virus in their body and never have symptoms or know it. I also have found that there may be a link between HSV-2 and invasive cervical cancer. I am so afraid! As you can tell by the time, I can't sleep! My husband, family, and friends are great...but everyone keeps saying that "it's going to be OK". I hope it will...but what if it's not? I have a wonderful husband and three beautiful children and am trying to hold it together for them because I don't want to upset them. My hubby is worried sick! I keep saying I'm gonna be fine...Mommy is okay...but what if I'm not?
Thanks for reading my late night pity party!LOL! I have read many posts on here and am thankful for finding this site.

Last edited by browneyez77; 07-30-2008 at 10:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Abnormalities to Cervix "Extensive"

(((Browneyez)))

I'm so glad you went to the gyn for the pap smear! May I ask how old you are? Has your doctor tested you for HPV/dna? Have you received copies of your pathology/lab tests? If not, I highly recommend you ask for them. They will help you understand what is going on in your body.

Do you know if the doctor also did a ECC (endocervical curettage) when she did the colpo and biopsy?

I'm sorry, but I don't know much about the connection between HSV and HPV.

If I were you I'd ask my doctor why she wants to do cryotherapy if she is going to do a cone biopsy. The cryotherapy burns the tissue and it can't be biopsied. If the doctor does the cone biopsy, the tissue sample can be sampled. That lets the doctor know how invasive (if invasive at all) any lesions are.

You can read about my story by reading some of my posts (click on my name and select "find posts by"). I joined in mid-late April of this year.

Basically, I was diagnosed with high risk HPV in January after my normal pap (never had a bad pap and have always been regular about getting paps). My doc sent me to a gyno. She did a colpo, but didn't do a biopsy because there were no atypical cells to biopsy. "Just to check" she did an ECC. That's where she found my "atypical glandular epithelial lesions" and adenocarcinoma in situ. From there I had a cold knife cone biopsy. That diagnosed my cancer as adenocarcinoma Ia1. It was early stage cancer. My only treatment was a hyst (removing uterus and cervix). My gyn/onc said that if I'd waited a year I'd be symptomatic (I had no symptoms prior to my hyst) and the cancer would be stage 2 or 3 requiring chemo and/or radiation.

Please check back with us and let us know if we can explain anything to you! Take care (((hugs)))

Old 08-01-2008, 05:32 AM   #3
(female)

browneyez77 HB User

HI...let me first say..thanks for your reply...you seem to be one of the more wisdom having veterans of this site. I am sorry that you are....but we are here at this point in our lives because we are supposed to be.(God only knows why!)
I am 30. Thankfully, I have my children and had a tubal 9 years ago. So if it's a hyst they end up wanting to do...then I am ready. I asked about HPV and she said that when my pap results came back HGSIL(high grade squamous intraepithelial lesions) that it is a given and absolutely postive for HPV. I like to have all the details and almost ask why an HPV test wasn't done anyway...but decided that my treatment course of action has to do with what the biopsy reveals....so why bother I guess. And yes she did an ECC with my colpo and biopsy. About the cryosurgery...she only made that appointment for me for treatment of what she saw during the colpo. She said that at the very least I would have to have two sessions....BUT if my biopsy came back worse that on the surface, then we would not do the cryo and move on to the cone to find out more. The way she talked made me feel like she expects to cancel the cryo. I hope that I am wrong..but I don't think I am. I haven't asked for a copy of my lab tests...maybe I should. Thanks for that idea. I have been doing research on the HSV2 and cervical cancer link and what I am finding is not sounding good. I found a few studies stating that women with HSV2 antibodies in their blood and HPV or any abnormality of the cervix were 2 x as likely to have invasive cervical cancer. Scary!!!!!!!!
So you have had your hyst already? How old are you...if you don't mind me asking? And you teach school?......I thought I read that in one of your posts. I work with special needs children at an elementary school. I start back Monday....I have no idea how I am going to focus or get anything done! My daughter is going with me Monday to help unpack. Good luck getting ready for school!!
Sorry for being so long winded...it just helps to talk...hee hee...well type! ;-)

Old 08-01-2008, 07:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Browneyez, I totally understand about it helping to talk/type! This has been my therapy and source of sanity in the last 4 months or so. I have learned SOOOOO much in that time period! I wish I hadn't had to learn this stuff, but if I have to learn it, I might as well pass it along, right?!

Yes, I'm a teacher. I teach middle school. I go back, officially, in 2 week, but will have to spend many hours in the next 2 weeks trying to get my room arranged. We have to pack up EVERYTHING and put it on the counters. Nothing is allowed to stay on any desk, counter, or table. It is only one step better than having to move rooms because my stuff stays in the room. I'm still on a 10-15 pound weight lifting restriction so I won't be able to move much at all. I'm trying to release control of doing everything myself . . . but it isn't an easy lesson!

I totally understand about finding it difficult to have your mind on the job with all of this stuff going through your head. I started this journey back in January, but was only anxious until early April when I got my cancer diagnosis. It was at that point that I was thankful when I was so distracted by teaching that I didn't think about the cancer and what-ifs! I had my hyst 12 days after school let out, so I didn't have a lot of down-time to not be preoccupied by school!

I am 45. I had my hyst June 18th. I'm 6 weeks now and will be 8 weeks postop when I go back. My doctor did the hyst LAVH (lap assited vaginal hyst). I've had a pretty good recovery.

Hopefully you and your doctor have found the dysplasia early enough that the cryo/cone biopsy will be your only treatment. Please keep us updated!

Closed Thread