It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
(female)

doki HB User
Guardasil causing/hastening dysplasia?

I just received a completely unexpected phone call from my gyno that I have HSIL CIN III. I have never in my entire life had an abnormal pap and all of a sudden I'm all the way at HSIL CIN III? I was a tad perplexed, and after I thought about, I recalled that I had just recently completed the 3-shot Guardasil HPV vaccine three months prior. After a bit of searching on the internet, I found that some studies have shown that if you are already infected with HPV, Guardasil can hasten the onset of abnormal cell growth. I'm pretty livid, because if this is true, I should have been asked to be tested before I got the vaccine, which my gyno pushed hard since I was about to turn 27 and no longer eligible. Has anyone else had experience with this?

If doing something I thought was good for me has hastened or caused something bad, I'll be so very angry.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Guardasil causing/hastening dysplasia?

Hi Doki! I can't address your questions about Gardasil, but I'd like to address the issue of your sudden CINIII. I am 44, have always gone to my annual pap exams, and they have always turned out good. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer in April and had my hyst in June.

How did that happen?

My doctor performed the HPV/dna test on me back in Dec. The results came back in January as positive for high risk HPV. I freaked out. Instead of waiting 3, 4, or 6 months, my doctor sent me to get a colpo w/ biopsy. The colpo looked so good the doctor didn't need to take any biopsies. "Just to check" she did an ECC (endocervical curettage). That's what allowed my doctor to diagnose me with adenocarcinoma in situ. Some people consider that cancer stage 0, others say it is the highest level of precancer. From there I had a cone biopsy which diagnosed adenocarcinoma Ia1. Treatment for it was the hyst (removing cervix and uterus only). I feel lucky that my doctor found the cancer at such an early stage.

I'm telling you this because I totally understand being blindsided by the diagnosis. I use to think if anything was wrong "down there" that it would show on the pap. I am the poster child for that NOT being true.

My suggestion to you is to address your concerns with your doctor. Ask him/her about the connection, why you weren't tested, etc. You also might consider getting a second opinion. If your diagnosis comes back anything higher than CINIII, I highly recommend you get an appointment with a gyn/oncologist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
(female)

doki HB User

Oh, I'm definitely planning on talking to my doctor about my concerns with the vaccine. I just feel so stupid for even taking it in the first place if there was a chance this could happen. If there is any connection, I would hate for this to happen to other unwitting women. I'm definitely aware severe can just come out of the blue, but it just seems so odd given my health, my age, my sexual history, etc ... that vaccine is looming large as suspicious, maybe not as a cause, but as a detriment.

I'm supposed to move overseas to Asia in less than a month, and I'm paralyzed with fear that this won't be able to be treated successfully. My doctor is helping me out by doing the colposcopy, punch biopsy and LEEP all at once so that I can still move if I get the all clear. I go in Monday for everything. I tried to see another gyno closer to where i'm living now, but I couldn't get an appt with adequate time for follow-up before I'm supposed to depart.

Having the LEEP doesn't scare me; it seems SO many girls my age have been through it. It's the "what if" about the biopsy results. I'm only 28 and want to have children some day, but not yet. Even though I know it's one of the more drastic measures, I can't even imagine having a hysterectomy right now.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Doki, I highly suggest you ask your doctor to do an ECC when he/she does the colposcopy. It scrapes the endocervical canal for atypical cells. That's where mine were hiding.

I wanted to address your comment about your sexual history. HPV is VERY wide spread. Most people have been exposed to it and don't know, therefore passing it along to each new partner. If one person has ever had sexual contact with more than one person, ever, it is highly likely that person has been exposed to HPV. Then, consider the sexual partners . . . if he/she has ever had sexual contact with a second person, then he/she has most likely been exposed to it. It is just that common.

I wish you luck with your appointment and procedures!

How long do you plan to live in Asia?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
(female)

doki HB User

Had the colp, LEEP and ECC today (three birds with one stone!), although the entire experience was nerve wracking not because of the procedures, but because, after driving 5 hours from Boston to NYC for this procedure, I get a phone call asking if I can reschedule because the Dr. has to go to a delivery. I nearly broke down in tears on the phone and luckily the nurse was put on, talked to the doctor and they told me to run over to the office immediately so he could do it all before going to the hospital.

I asked the doctor a lot of questions before, and that helped me feel more calm. Everyone, thanks for all the helpful advice on what to ask and consider! I asked about the vaccine in particular. He said that the vaccine was unlikely to have spawned this, as it's not a live virus. He said that the vaccine might in fact help guard against further development since it boosts immunity. I'm not sure if I buy it, but there really isn't anything I can do at this point.

The procedures themselves were easy-peasy. People had warned me the colp would hurt and it didn't. In fact I laughed because I was feeling parts of me I hadn't felt before. He gave me demerol and barbutol (?) for pain and amnesia. The last thing I remember saying to the doc was asking if I would be able to have some beers and dance at my going away party on Sunday, and he said I should feel free to live it up by then, I came back to and he was laughing at the goofy things I was saying while doped up. I feel great, have no bleeding or cramping and actually drove the entire 5 hours back home since my mom was tired. Ha! Let's hope it's smooth sailing.

The doctor said that he could see the lesions clearly and, while he won't know the true pathology until he gets the results, it didn't look that bad from what the colp revealed. He felt we got a really good sample. So at least that piece of good news will keep me buoyant until I get the pathology and lab results.

I'm moving to China for at least a year and won't have American insurance anymore as of 9/1 (I'll be covered through a scholarship I'm studying on in China and through traveler's insurance anywhere BUT the US). Terrible timing, but I've already checked into my options for treatment over there, and since I'll be in Beijing, there are a few very good Western hospitals. Though, I must admit, dealing with something more serious while in China without having US insurance is a scary prospect.

This is just really crappy news, crappy timing, crappy situation. Blah.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:26 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Doki, what your doctor said about the vaccine is what I've read before. Hopefully that is all true.

I'm glad the procedure went so well. Hopefully the LEEP will be diagnostic AND treatment. I can't believe you drove, though after having demerol and the other drugs! YIKES! I'm glad ya'll got home safely!

Will will you get your results back? I think I had mine within 3-5 days.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:52 PM   #7
(female)

doki HB User

He said at least a week. But he said he would call me personally with the results and not a nurse (I love my doc). So no use worrying until then. Hoping what he saw is the same as the results and there is no cancer, so I can finish worrying about this and go back to worrying about acing the GMAT and moving to China.

Oh, and I DEFINITELY didn't drive right away. I actually went to lunch with my mom, went back to the DMV and renewed my license (where I was when I got the call to come in immediately), and "supervised" my mom and boyfriend packing up some stuff in our car. I was in Manhattan so no cars were involved until the drive home, which was 6 hours after the surgery.

I'd highly recommend this method for doing the LEEP. It forgoes any extra stress and hassle of going completely under in a hospital but makes you completely unaware for those worried about being awake during the exam. I didn't even feel the needle going in or any of the heart racing other people have mentioned. I just felt chatty and kind of drunk. That is until I just don't remember anything at all, which wasn't much after the drugs hit my veins. But given that the demerol took a bit to wear off, if you are doing this, definitely bring someone with you if you have to drive home within an hour of your procedure.

Oh, and 36 hours after the procedure, I've still had no bleeding, spotting, cramping ... nothing. Feel great. Just wanted to add that because a lot of the LEEP experiences I have read about on here had me really worried there would be a lot of pain and discomfort. Still early in, but everything lookin' good as of now.

Last edited by doki; 08-05-2008 at 09:06 PM.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:09 PM   #8
(female)

Steph8681 HB User

Doki, I researched your claims all day today. Turns our you're right! There is so much research and class action law suits out there that says just that! If you already have HPV andthe Gardasil shots it will catapolt the lesions into metastasizing into cancer!....just like what happened to me! The below articles are what I found to back up my research. I am shocked. Pretty much, if you are just going along with life just fine ...HPV included but unknown and then get the Gardasil shot, you will suddenly get thrown into a full blown pre-cancerous or even possibly invasive cancerous stage. People have even died beause of Gardasil! Check it out. I'm going to pursue it further. Let me know what you find.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:16 AM   #9
(female)

doki HB User

Hey Steph! I'm glad we connected too. I'm still waiting on my LEEP results (VERY frustrating given my status about going out of the country in a week!!!), but I have to just think everything was taken care of otherwise I'll drive myself nuts.

( removed )

BTW, just in case anyone looked at this thread for a follow up to what a LEEP is like, I had the most painless process ever. No bleeding, no cramping, no spotting. I even just got my period and it wasn't heavier nor was it longer than usual. Everything went perfectly.

Now if I could just get those goshdarn results ...

Last edited by moderator2; 08-18-2008 at 03:04 PM. Reason: disallowed use

Old 08-18-2008, 05:45 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Doki, I'm glad your experience was good and that you haven't had any problems with healing. When do you expect to get your results back? I usually called a day or two before the date my doctor says. I get too anxious to wait!

Old 08-19-2008, 07:04 AM   #11
(female)

doki HB User

I got the results yesterday and margins were clear! I'm all set for another 4 months. Thank goodness.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:11 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

That is great news, Doki!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #13
(female)

Steph8681 HB User

Good for you Doki!!! I am so happy to hear that! I was unaware that was not allowed to post the sites for the articles. Too bad. They contained some wonderful info. However, if you haven't already caught it, the Gardasil stuff is exploding all over the news and the papers right now. Scary stuff. As for me, I had my follow up on the 11th and my margins were not clear. They didn't get it but I hear that is pretty common. The doc said I need to allow my immune system to try and heal what was left but due to how fast it spread last time it might not be that easy. Recovery was painful and the period afterward was very heavy. I am in good hands now though. I go back for an additional follow up in a few weeks to check the healing again because the LEEP was so extensive (Laser was used as well) and then another colpo in October. Please let me know anything else you hear about Gardasil and stay healthy.

Closed Thread