It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
(female)

atypical HB User
atypical glandular cells

I am a 27 year old female who about a year ago received abnormal PAP test results (ASCUS). I had a repeat done six months later and everything came back normal. My subsequent PAP, six months after that, came back abnormal again, however, this time they detected atypical glandular cells.

I have also been experiencing some spot bleeding inbetween periods, which I originally attributed to being on the pill. And there are times where I experience bleeding after intercourse.

I was sent to a gynecologist and she performed a colposcopy and biopsy, she also, I believe, scraped some more cells from the cervical wall in hopes of getting some more glandular cell samples. I am scheduled for an ultrasound in two weeks and won't know my final results until september ... it's august 1st in case the date is not attached to this message.

So, I thought I was okay with the wait time, but turns out I'm a little more anxious then I thought, particularly given the contradictory information I'm finding on the net. Can anyone tell me what the likelihood of disease or pathology is given my abnormal tests and few symptoms? Or what the dr.'s are likely looking for with these biopsy's and ultrasounds? Or can anyone tell me their experiences with receiving abnormal test results, particularly AGCUS?

I'd really appreciate any information or insight that anyone can offer ...

Thanks!

Old 08-01-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: atypical glandular cells

Hi Atypical! I'm glad you've found this site!

Your thread title caught my eye because that was my first diagnosis: atypical glandular epithelial lesions and adenocarcinoma in situ.

Let me back up.

I've always gone to my annual exams. My paps have always been good. I went for my pap in December. My doctor performed my first ever HPV/dna test at that time. The results came back in early Jan as positive for high risk HPV. Because I freaked out, she sent me to a gyno for a colpo and biopsy. That looked good, too. "Just to check" she did an ECC (endocervical curettage). That came back with what I just said. From there, she scheduled me for a cold knife cone biopsy. That came back adenocarcinoma Ia1. This is early stage cancer. My only needed treatment was a hysterectomy (cervix and uterus only).

I dont' know what your tests will show. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.

I can share a little bit about the cervix though. The outer third of the cervix (exocervix) is made up of squamous cells. This is what the doctor scrapes during a pap. It is also what is seen and biopsied during a colposcopy. Something like 80% of atypical cells detected during pap are squamous cell. They grow slowly and grow to their neighboring cells.

The upper 2/3 of the cervix is made up of glandular/columnar cells. They produce mucous. Atypical cells in this area are more difficult to see and diagnose. I think of the cervix kind of like a frosted donut. The frosting is what is seen and scraped during paps and colpos. The unfrosted part is the glandular area. Atypical glandular cells are more difficult to see/find/diagnose, they grow more rapidly than squamous cells, and they can skip over good cells and grow elsewhere.

Between those two areas is a transition zone.

You can always call the doctor's office and ask more questions. They actually should expect this.

Has your doctor said what your next step is, besides the ultrasound? Has he/she scheduled you for a LEEP or a cone biopsy?

If I were you, I'd call and ask if they can get you in to see the doctor sooner.

I don't feel like I'm being very clear. Please write back and ask whatever questions you wish.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
(female)

atypical HB User

Thank you so much for your message! I have been doing some research on the internet but to be honest it was just frustrating me! There's are all these these mixed messages of - 'it's usually nothing' vs. 'there's usually an abnormality present' - etc. It's so reassuring to talk to real people who can discuss this issue in a very real way, and who can empathize ... thank you!

The dr. didn't discuss any treatments with me. She did detect some abnormal squamous cells when doing the colposcopy but didn't seem all that alarmed. She wanted to investigate my uterus via the ultrasound but given my age she didn't anticipate me having any issues there (although, the idea of 'polyps' were mentioned).

The symptoms concern me a bit, but again I don't know if the pill might be causing them. That said, I was sexually active with a partner about a year ago where I wasn't on the pill and experienced bleeding then ... so I don't know?

Also, for quite some time now (probably months/a year) I have been waking in the morning with the feeling of a really full bladder. My abdomin is really achy, I feel quite bloated, and can't WAIT to use the washroom - upon completing my washroom trip I often feel like I could have done "more" and then have this strange hollow achy feeling for a good part of the morning. Occasionally I can get this feeling throughout the day, but it's pretty consistent every morning. It's not painful per se, more just a 'this isn't quite right feeling'. Do you think this could be a related symptom? Sorry, that might have been too much potty talk ...

The dr. won't be getting back to me until september because she's going on holiday. I'm going to wait and see what information comes from the ultrasound. Hopefully they can tell me something, even though it's usually just technicians and not dr.'s that are overseeing the procedure. At that point maybe I can ask more direct questions ...

Thank you again for your response. I hope that everything is well with you and that you're in good health ...

All the best - and I'll keep you updated. Any information again is helpful and welcomed ...

Atypical -

Old 08-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

You are very welcome, Atypical!

It sounds like your doctor did an ECC with your colpo and biopsy. Is that the case?

The ultrasound is probably looking for what could be causing the bleeding (breakthrough and after intercourse) from the uterus. It may also be looking at your ovaries to see if they are causing problems with your bladder, causing the fullness. I guess your doctor will have those results when you return in Sept.

The doctor might be looking for fibroids, polyps, cysts on the uterus and ovaries. I don't know as much about the uterus or ovaries. I *did* have a large (9.3cm) fibroid on my uterus which was "delivered" when my doctor did my hyst (LAVH).

Since you know you wont' be going back to the doc until September, you have plenty of time to get your questions sorted and ordered. I highly recommend you write your questions and take them with you to the appointment. You might take 2 copies, one for you to write answers on and one for your doctor to look at to make sure he/she is answering everything. I wrote my questions in a word document, then I could sort and rearrange them so they made sense. I left room for writing answers.

The internet is a blessing and a curse. There is so much wonderful information available, yet there are also some really HORRID stories. I got to where I would only read personal experiences about cervical cancer and/or the type of hyst that I had. Before I made that decision I was PANICKING! Oh my! I also ended up finding another discussion board where I could talk cerv cancer and my hyst (but I can't tell you its name per the user agreement here at HB. ). It really helped having 2 or 3 places to go for information, advice, and support.

I'd better get going. I'll be checking in this evening (my time - I'm in TX). Take care and I look forward to seeing your posts again!

Old 08-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
(female)

blustery HB User
flax seed and cottage cheese.

I am wondering if anyone has been using this for any length of time and what your results were. I have done a lot of research and just started it this week.

I have had a radical hysterectomy for a tennis ball size tumor in my uterus,
stage 1B2. with no spreading that they can see. 7 weeks post op, and they want to administer a whopping dose of chemo and radiation.

I am reluctant to do this to my body, and would prefer to try other means.
I am also going for a second opinion next week. The other thing I am reluctant about is there seems to be some confusion as to whether or not it is "uterine" or "cervical" because the tumor was sitting on top of the cervix in the base of the uterus. This means 2 different types of treatments, and I want to make sure I am being treated for the right one. Mine is also said to be a rare type, clear cell adenocarcenoma.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
(female)

atypical HB User

hey there,

i'm really sorry that i can't be more help to you. i have yet to even get test results back! this is all very new to me and by the sounds of it you've braved a great deal so far!

best of luck finding finding the answers you need, the treatment that's best for you ... and most of all, a speedy recover ...

atypical.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
(female)

blustery HB User
Re: awaiting the doctors..

I would be uncomfortable with any physician that would "make you wait" until after their "holiday!" The ultra sound should return results right away, and labs can be sped up if they want them to be...

I do not see any reason for them to make you wait and agonize. Your doc should have an associate or someone who fills in when he/she is gone...

In the meantime, don't panic or stress, you can only do what you can do.

Mine started with spotting in between periods, and took 6 months and 4 doctors to finally diagnose me. (the first 3 kept saying it was a fibroid, but none of them bothered to do a biopsy) By the time I had the surgery, I had a clear watery discharge mixed with small amounts of blood at a rate of a tampon full every 2 hours. I also noticed it more first thing in the morning.

I highly recommend 2nd opinions, or more. I was driven to keep seeing doctors by a quest to find an answer to my problem without surgery. Boy did I get more than I bargained for! But the quest led me right where I needed to end up. 2 of the 3 gynocologists I saw just wanted to do a partial hysterectomy. If they would have cut me open without knowing it was cancer, I could be in serious trouble right now.

It does seem to be there are no 2 stories alike, so it is difficult to try and base your diagnosis on what others have experienced. This is serious stuff, so don't let anyone put you off. I know it can be intimidating, you do not want to sound like you are over reacting or being a "baby" But you have EVERY RIGHT to stand up for your health.

That's my opinion anyway!

Put yourself first in this one!

Old 08-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #8
(female)

atypical HB User

i want to thank you two, blustery and pickle eyes, for your sound advice. it has certainly been a comfort, and has given me the confidence i need to ask the right questions.

i will keep you posted as to my appointments and test results. hope you'll do the same.

stay strong and healthy,
- atypical.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

You're welcome, Atypical. I'm glad you are feeling more confident and hopefully more informed. I know that when I don't know what is going on that I am more confused and scared, so information is empowering. :cheers: Here's to your empowerment! :cheers:

Old 08-13-2008, 01:27 PM   #10
(female)

atypical HB User

had the ultrasounds today. nothing really to report. technician was quiet and did her thing.

now i wait ...

a.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:11 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Let us know when you get your results!

Closed Thread