It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
(female)

CalypsosMom HB User
Unhappy I just had an abnormal PAP...High Grade...I'm really scared

I was just told that I have High grade epithelial squamous cells and now I can't stop wondering if it is cancerous. I go in on Monday for a colposcopy. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and how long it was before they were told they actually had cervical cancer. I had my last normal pap September of 2006, then I was pregnant and haven't seen the OBGYN since my 6 week post partum check up. I just hope I'm not too late and things are out of hand. I am terrified right now and would love some encouraging words.
This is my first time here and have been reading a lot of positive things so far. Thanks so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: I just had an abnormal PAP...High Grade...I'm really scared

Hi Calypsosmom! I'm sorry to hear about your abnormal pap. The good news is that you have gone to the doctor and they have found this. Also, your doctor is proactive and is looking further.

First of all, the pap is just a screening tool. Have you read about the colposcopy and what happens during one? The doctor might take a biopsy (sometimes called a pinch biopsy or punch biopsy). In addition, the doctor might do an ECC (endocervical curettage). I HIGHLY suggest you ask for one of those (because it is how my doctor found where the HPV was doing damage - all other tests came back good until the ECC).

The good news is that this is squamous cells. They are flat cells that make up the outer third of the cervix. They are the cells that are scraped during a pap. They are the cells that are looked at (and biopsied, if needed) during the colposcopy. Squamous cells are easy to see and assess. Atypical squamous cells grow slowly (more slowly than glandular/columnar cells which make up the upper 2/3 of the cervix). They also spread to neighboring cells (unlike glandular cells). Something like 80% of abnormal paps come back with atypical squamous cell.

I totally understand your fear and concern. Please know that the colpo, biopsy, and ECC are used to get a better idea of the location, type, and extent of the dysplasia. I don't think they can diagnose cancer. If any of the pathology reports (from the biopsy and/or ECC) show more cell involvement your doctor will likely order a LEEP or cone biopsy.

Fortunately, cervical dysplasia (and cancer) is easily treated if it is caught early. My cancer was caught at stage 1 (adenocarcinoma Ia1) and my only needed treatment was a hysterectomy to remove my cervix and uterus. That's it. While I'm not happy to have been diagnosed with cancer, I feel blessed that it was found so early and that the treatment was "just" the hyst (no chemo or radiation).

When you go in to the doctor on Monday I suggest you ask for a copy of your pathology report from that pap (and then ask for a copy when they get the results for Monday's procedures). I also suggest you go in to the appointment with a written list of questions. That way you won't forget what to ask, but you can also write your answers. And personally, I think a doctor takes more time with me if I have a written list than if I just wing it.

I hope I haven't freaked you out. Please write back. There are some great ladies here who I know will offer some support and good ideas.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
(female)

CalypsosMom HB User

Hi there pickle eyes! If there was anyone I'd want to respond to my post, it would be you. I've read quite a few of your posts and you have a lot of useful mind easing info so thank you for that! I will definantly ask for a report and will ask lots of questions. I am SO glad that I found this message board! I will check back in after my Colposcopy!

God bless!

Old 08-06-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

:blushing: Thank you, Calypsosmom! That means a lot to me. Mind you, I've only learned all of this stuff about HPV, colpos, ECCs, biopsies, etc since January, though mostly after mid-March. I figured if I was going through this and learning all of it, the least I could do was to reach out and help those who come along behind me. I'm glad I can be of some help (and comfort)! Let us know how your appointment goes!

Old 08-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
(female)

CalypsosMom HB User

Well, i just had my Colpo, and the dr. said that "there was not really anything to write home about." She said if anything there may have been a bit of mild abnormalities going on. But I did test positive with HR HPV...so I have to go in more frequently for paps. I was really nervous about the procedure but it wasn't so bad. Just a bit of cramping. The ECC was the most uncomfortable. Now I just sit and wait to see what the pathologist has to say. So those of you out there who just found out that they had an abnormal pap with HGSIL, don't worry JUST YET!! I will post again in a few days.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Did she take any biopsies when she did the colpo? My doctor didn't. When did she say the results should be in? I started calling the day before that. :grinning: I wanted to know!

Now, try to chill out while waiting!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #7
(female)

kosm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsosMom View Post
Well, i just had my Colpo, and the dr. said that "there was not really anything to write home about." She said if anything there may have been a bit of mild abnormalities going on. But I did test positive with HR HPV...so I have to go in more frequently for paps. I was really nervous about the procedure but it wasn't so bad. Just a bit of cramping. The ECC was the most uncomfortable. Now I just sit and wait to see what the pathologist has to say. So those of you out there who just found out that they had an abnormal pap with HGSIL, don't worry JUST YET!! I will post again in a few days.
I have HSIL as well. I just had a colpo minus the biopsy part. She said that it looked like I was still high-grade. Then, last week I had a lot of bleeding after sex (sorry for the TMI). I was so scared that that means it has turned into cancer!!! So what is going to happen with your situation? I hope all is well and will be praying for you! Keep me posted. I am scared..really scared!
KOSM

Old 08-13-2008, 12:52 PM   #8
(female)

CalypsosMom HB User

The Dr did take some tissue for the pathologist to examine. She said they will look at those results and compare them to the results they got previously and go from there. I did ask her how quickly things change from precancerous to cancerous and from what I gathered, cervical cancer is very gradual and much slower than other cancers. So that is one thing that we all have going for us! I should be getting my results on Monday or Tuesday so until then I'm still somewhat on edge...Thanks for the thoughts and prayers and you will also be in mine. Let me know how things go!

Old 08-13-2008, 12:57 PM   #9
(female)

melissamae1983 HB User

I somewhat know how you are feeling. I absolutely hate playing the waiting game and I usually tend to be a worry-wart so waiting does me no good. I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you! Keep us updated!!

~Melissa~

Old 08-22-2008, 01:53 PM   #10
(female)

CalypsosMom HB User

Well I got the results from my colpo, and they said they didn't find anything else worse than mild changes. So now, my Dr. told me we have to do a LEEP procedure to find out where those HG cells came from. I'm pretty nervous, being that I'm not exactly sure what to expect. So if anyone can give me ha heads up that would be great!

Thanks...

Closed Thread