It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
(female)

racegirl88 HB User
Question ovarian cyst and bloating

Hi. I have had constipation and bloating trouble for the past 2 months. I have gained 10 pounds and have pain everyday. I had a CT scan and they found a left ovarian cyst. I had a hysterectomy in 2005. They told me to wait for 6 months and have an ultrasound. My question is- isn't there anything they can do being as I'm in a lot of pain with the bloating, constipation and a big weight gain. Nothing I do has helped any of my symptoms. I've never had any trouble like this before and I'm getting kid of desperate. I'm new to this board so ANY suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!!

Old 08-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #2
(female)

TNWalker0709 HB User
Re: ovarian cyst and bloating

Hi racegirl88,

I'm sorry you're having problems with pain and bloating. Ovarian cysts can cause a multitude of uncomfortable symptoms. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of home treatments that help, other than ibuprofen for pain relief.

Your doctor might be able to put you on birth control pills to help shrink the current cyst and to prevent further cysts. Surgery can also be done to remove the cyst (or the ovaries), but that's only done in extreme cases when the cyst does not resolve on its on.

The good news is that most ovarian cysts do resolve within a month or two and that almost all ovarian cysts are benign.

Good luck and I hope you get some relief soon.

Last edited by TNWalker0709; 08-09-2008 at 08:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
(female)

surry HB User

Did your doctors do a CA125 blood test for ovarian cancer? If so, and its negative, then its unusual that doctors have not put you on a program to relieve the bloating and discomfort. Ibuprofen usually helps me. I take two gelcaps, easy to swallow every 4-6 hours. Talk to your gynocologist. Good luck. Surry

Old 08-13-2008, 06:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello Racegirl,

Do they know what type of ovarian cyst you have ? Is it a fluid filled cyst or something which contains tissue of some kind ? Depending upon this information and the size of the cyst, they can tell you what the chances are of it going away. Also, did they find fluid in your abdomen that might be causing the bloating ? This is important. An ultrasound may actually be able to give them more information on this than the CT or MRI (believe it or not for these types of structures the ultrasound is the still the gold standard). If the cyst is large this may be the cause of your discomfort.

If you are having continuous discomfort and pain with this thing, you should contact your doctor again. There are some solutions to the symptoms you are having but they are only temporary and if the cyst does not resolve on its own, they can remove it through laparoscopy (keyhole surgery). Have you tried a heating pad on your tummy ? I find that this, along with ibuprofen (such as Advil) if the discomfort is really bad, does wonders. Ibuprofens such as Advil or Motrin tackle the gonadotropins that cause these symptoms and the heating pad improves blood circulation and helps the muscles in that area to relax.

The CA-125 test may be a good idea or it may not. If you are premenopausal the test has a high false positive rate and it can be elevated for benign reasons such as endometriosis or even menses (your period). It also has a high false negative rate for early stages of ovarian cancer (something like 50%). For postmenopausal women this test is much more predictive. However, I myself did go for the test (I am premenopausal) and I must admit that I was nervous that the test might amplify my worry even further so I made sure not to have the test during my period. Fortunately for me the test came back at 7 and it was "somewhat" reassuring (a normal reading is from 0-35). The idea my doctors had I suppose is that if the result had come back at some incredibly high number then this would be a reason to investigate further (I have an 8 cm simple cyst on my left ovary that has been there for almost a year !). You may wish to inquire about this test just to be sure.

Ovarian cysts are extremely common and they cause us a world of worry. Thankfully most ovarian cysts are benign and arise from the fact that our ovaries have the most dynamic human tissue in our bodies (dermoid cysts can contain human hair and teeth !). We also form follicular cysts on our ovaries every month which release the egg into our uterus so it is sometimes difficult to differentiate between these normal functional cysts and something else (benign or otherwise). For cysts that are smaller than 10 cm the way they look does have a strong bearing on what type of cyst they are most likely to be but still...

I would definitely call your doctor back if you are still uncomfortable. I sincerely hope you find a quick resolution to this problem. All the best.

Estria

Closed Thread