It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 06:12 AM   #1
(female)

texasgirl98 HB User
Smile hurry up and wait!

Hi, new to posting here, but I've been lurking for about a month or so now and thought I'd finally say hi!

I'm 36, and had my first abnormal pap back at the end of June. Never had any problems with my paps before, and had the Essure procedure done the first week of July. When I scheduled my follow up for that, I found out my pap was abnormal, LGSIL is what the paper said, plus I have the high risk HPV.

So, the following week I go in for a colpo and ECC...that was not a good time at all, lol. She took 2 samples, plus the ECC and sent them off to the lab to be tested. I had cramps the rest of that day and evening, but not much spotting at all. Fast forward a couple of weeks, and I go in for my follow up for that....both the colpo and the ECC came back clean! I thought that would be great news, but my doctor said that there could be cells hiding inside...the donut hole, as I've heard it called here, lol. She said I could wait and see what happens, or have the LEEP done. She recommended the LEEP because of my age, and the HPV. I'm on vacation from work, so I opted to be proactive and go for the LEEP. I went in and had that done yesterday, and I think the worst part of that was seeing the needle before getting the shot, lol. All in all it wasn't as bad as I thought, and no cramping or spotting. It felt more like a sunburn up there than anything else, lol.

Sooo...I"m wondering if this comes back clean, should I just take a wait and see approach? She said there were no white spots from the vinegar on my vagina, and only the two small areas when she did the colpo (that came back fine). Is it possible to go from an abnormal pap to a clean bill of health a month later? I was thinking if the ECC came back clean, then I was good to go, but it seems like my doc wanted to do the LEEP just to be on the safe side, which I"m fine with.

Love to hear any thoughts or opinions from some of the veteran posters here! I'm so glad I found this board, it has been SO helpful to find info and experiences while I've been waiting and worrying myself to death, lol. Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: hurry up and wait!

Welcome, Texasgirl! It sounds like you are proactive and were well informed before going to your appointment. Yay!

I'm wondering if the ECC doesn't scrape all the way to the uterus. I don't know. Perhaps it is only the outer part of the donut hole (that was me who named it that! lol). I guess your doctor did the LEEP because she wanted to know how the canal looked all the way to the uterus.

If it comes back clean, I suspect your doctor will have you return frequently (ever 3, 4, or 6 months) for follow up paps and/or colpos (and maybe, hopefully, ECCs at some of those).

The LEEP (or cone) can be diagnositic and treatment or just diagnostic. I think I've read that often they are diagnostic and treatment (meaning all lesions are removed and the woman only needs frequent return visits until there are 4 (that's what I've heard the magic number is) clear paps in a row.

I hope that is how this turns out for you! I hope that helps.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:52 AM   #3
(female)

texasgirl98 HB User
Re: hurry up and wait!

Thanks for the reply PickleEyes! I was only well informed because I'd been visiting this board since my pap cam back abnormal, and read pages and pages about colpos and LEEP, lol. I'm so grateful I found this board, it's been a lifesaver!

My followup is on the 10th, and I will let you know how this all turns out! The waiting is going to make me crazy though!

Closed Thread