It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
(female)

snakefan HB User
Smile Timeframe for CA-125 Test Results???

Does anyone know how long the results for a CA-125 blood test take? I am trying not to worry but, I don't know when to expect the results. Any idea how long it should take. I am 52 yrs. old and have been in menopause for nearly 2 years. I bled 2 months ago for a week and the gyn. did an ultrasound and saw a pea sized fibroid on my ovary. They rechecked it last week and it has grown to the size of a half dollar. They did the blood test and that is where I am at. Should I be more agressive with the dr. Thanks for any responses. Keep smiling.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Timeframe for CA-125 Test Results???

Hi Snakefan!

Let me get this straight. You are postmenopausal and you bled for a week back during the summer.

Has your doctor done a pap test? an HPV/DNA test? What does your doctor say the next step is?

To answer your question, yes. I would be more aggressive with my doctor. From what I've read, bleeding postmenopausally needs to be investigated in a timely manner. How comfortable are you with your doctor? Do you feel he/she explains things well? addresses your concerns? If not, then definately get another opinion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
(female)

snakefan HB User

Hi Pickle Eyes,
Thanks for your reply.

Here's what I'm dealing with. The first time I went in after bleeding for a week, I had to see a PA (physician's asst.). I've seen her before and I do feel comfortable talking to her. Her thought was that because the uterine lining was thickened and I didn't bleed too heavity that it may just be my uterus having "one last hurrah"! The fibroid she wanted to wait 8 weeks and recheck. The recheck was last week.

I only saw the ultrasound tech (female) who showed me the size of the fibroid and then also told me that the uterus looked good - no thickening. She recommend I see a surgeon with their group. That was last Thursday. They got me in this past Monday with him. I liked him - but he was too quick. My husband was out of town so I went alone. He said he wanted to do the blood work and then possibly from there do a laparascopy. He asked if I had any constipation and I told him yes and that it has been terrible. I am a Type 1 diabetic and he said it could also be from my diabetes. But he wanted to wait to see the tumor markers before any more tests. He's known to be an excellent doctor here and is one of the "Top Doc's" in our city.

So just a little more info - probably more than you wanted! LOL. Thanks very much for your thoughts and I will definitely keep them in mind and maybe take you up on them. Thanks again. Keep smiling!

Old 10-08-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
(female)

snakefan HB User

Hi Pickle Eyes - again,

I did have a Pap in February and the other tests and they came back normal. No other tests since. Thanks.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Do you mind me asking about your HPV test results?

How long has it been since your last period (prior to the one a few months ago). I heard that menopause isn't officially menopause until you go a year (or is it 2?) without a period.

I guess I'm curious as to why they are checking your ovaries. I realize it produces hormones, but I also know that other things (like cervical dysplasia or uterine problems) can cause post-menopausal bleeding.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

Snakefan,

The PA did the right thing. With postmenapausal bleeding, the correct test to do is an u/s to see if there is thickness in the lining. Since you did not have any thickness that rules out uterine cancer, which is a good thing. It was also very wise to have a repeat u/s because you did have some pathology. In terms of your surgeon, although he sound like he rushes though with his patients, he is also doing the right thing. He is trying to see what he may be dealing with. He is looking for what he believes may be ovarian cancer which he would have a better idea once the blood work come back. If your CA125 comes back negative than he will probably rethink his treatment plan. He sounds like a very consiouses (sp) surgeon who is not quick to cut. Go slow and work with him and see where it leads you. If after a few weeks and you begin to ask and not receive satisfactory answers to your questions, than by all means, seek another opinion.

Keep us informed of your progress

Last edited by shisslak; 10-14-2008 at 01:37 PM.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
(female)

snakefan HB User

Hi Shisslak & Pickleeyes;
My HPV test that was done in Feb. was normal. No virus at all. I just received my recent blood work back and the CA-125 was in the normal range. I am still cramping and after intercourse, was spotting (not new, just never thought it was a possible problem). I am seeing my doc on Monday to decide the next step. If he suggests a laparoscopy, should I do it. I've been menopause (no bleeding for 22
mos.), other than that 8 days recently. Thanks for replying.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

Yea on the negative CA125!!! One serious case diagnosis down--

I would listen very carefully to what he has to say. I would also bring a family member or close friend with you to this appointment. Having a second set of ears to listen really helps because they usually hear alot more detail then you do. Take your time to make your decision, if you are unsure, by all mean get a second opinion.

Your surgeon may also opt to do some additional testing before he considers doing any surgery.

Write back with what happens on Monday.

Closed Thread