It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
(female)

gerry19 HB User
Ovarian CA - can a D&C find it?

I had post-menopausal bleeding. I went for endometrial biopsy which could not be completed because my dr. said cervical opening was to tight. I'm wondering if that is because of the abdominal bloating I've had for about six months now. She said I need to have a D&C. I have a cyst on right ovary which has grown a littler bigger in two months (found that out after the second ultrasound). I know uterine cancer can be found with a D&C, but could it also confirm if someone had ovarian cancer.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Ovarian CA - can a D&C find it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry19 View Post
I know uterine cancer can be found with a D&C, but could it also confirm if someone had ovarian cancer.
Not that I know of. I think the screenings/tests they use for ovarian cancer is ultrasounds, CA125, and perhaps CAT scans or MRIs. I'm not positive, though. I've never heard of a D&C being used to detect anything with the ovaries.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello Gerry,

A D & C will only look at the endometrial lining and not the ovaries. How large is your cyst ? is it only filled with fluid or are there also solid components (ie. a complex cyst) ? Might there be something else to explain the bloating ? Perhaps you recently began taking PPI's for acid reflux or you are on some medication that has bloating as a side effect ?

The standard test for ovarian cancer is ultrasounds and CA-125 (as Pickle Eyes said). There is also a new test which is supposed to be more efficient than the CA-125 called Ovasure. It uses CA-125 and a set of other bio markers to find cancer. It is still too early to tell whether this new test is effective and reliable so the gynecologists are not on board as of yet.

What does your radiology report say regarding the cyst ? Usually radiologists will write a small conclusion at the bottom of their report saying whether they think the cyst is sinister or most likely benign. Of course the only way to be one hundred percent sure is to have surgery to remove the cyst and then to biopsy it. This is the pain about ovarian growths .. only a laparoscopy under general anaesthesia will give you 100 percent assurance.

Talk to your doctor about the CA-125 test. The test is not extremely reliable and has a high rate of false positives and negatives but it may lead you in the right direction.

All the best to you.

Estria

Old 11-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Oh and I forgot to mention .. I do not think that the cervix thing is related to your bloating. When I had my endometrial biopsy, my cervix was also very firm (I have never had children so it has not been stretched out). My doctor still managed to get the biopsy by using a clamp to hold the cervix open while he took the sample. The clamp was not very comfortable but a couple of minutes of holding my breath produced the desired result. Your doctor said you need a D & C because if an endometrial biopsy is not possible, this is the next best thing. A D & C will have the added benefit of looking at almost all of the lining of your uterus because your lining will be cleaned out and tested. You may, however, want to try to find someone else to take a biopsy as this is less invasive.

Hope this helps.

Estria

Old 11-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

gerry19,

If the doctor is going to all the trouble of doing a D&C, than he/she should take a look first using the hystroscope, this gives them a complete visual of your endometrial lining and your uterus. Using a hystroscope will only add about 10 extra minutes to your procedure.

I had a hystroscope done with my D&C a year ago and they ended up finding a fairly large polyp that my doctor was able to remove.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:43 PM   #6
(female)

gerry19 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shisslak View Post
gerry19,

If the doctor is going to all the trouble of doing a D&C, than he/she should take a look first using the hystroscope, this gives them a complete visual of your endometrial lining and your uterus. Using a hystroscope will only add about 10 extra minutes to your procedure.

I had a hystroscope done with my D&C a year ago and they ended up finding a fairly large polyp that my doctor was able to remove.
Thanks to all of you for your responses. I really appreciate it very much. When my drs. office called me on Friday to arrange the D&C - they told me my gyn wants me to have a D&C hysteroscopy. I need blood work done a few days before it & I have to see my dr. at her office before this happens to sign permission papers and discuss the procedure and ask any questions I may have. Does this sound typical. It will probably be done on 11/18.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

Just what I had last November 30th. Had an appointment the Monday before with my doctor to go over the procedure and to answer any questions, signed the consent forms, went to pre-op and they did there thing. Friday morning checked into day surgery and was being driven home six hours later. Piece of cake.

Good luck on November 18th, I will be thinking of you as I have my Mammogram and see my ob/gyn for my annual invasion of privacy.

Closed Thread