It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
(female)

Elizabeth1975 HB User
To Use or Not to Use Birth Control

Hi All,

I'm new here. I guess before I start, I'll rattle off my history really quick (by the way, I'm 33 years old):

2006: Paid $400 for the Gardisil vaccine because I didn't want to end up in the situation I'm in now!!!

Nov 2008: Had a pap come back LGSIL. Family doctor wanted to do a colpo and then cryo if results were mild. Biopsy came back "inconclusive," while pap done same day came back normal -- go figure.

Dec 2008: Consulted with two GYNs about my situation -- one said to come back in six months for another pap, while the other said to come back in four but that I could redo the biopsy if it made me feel better.

Jan 2009: Had biopsy re-done by second doctor. He said that things looked mild and I should be just fine. Got a call last week that my results came back as moderate dysplasia. So, I am still scared and angry about these results -- I go for my first LEEP tomorrow.

I've done everything I can to try to get my immune system to fight this off (taking supplements, trying to avoid secondhand smoke, etc.), but one thing I consistently see in studies is that women who have been on birth control for more than ten years are more susceptible to dysplasia. I've been on it for 13 years.

So, even though I hate the thought of getting off of it (right now it really controls my periods since I have hypothyroidism), I really want to do all I can to keep this dysplasia from coming back and having to have another LEEP. I'd really like to have kids one day.

Have any of your doctors had any opinions on the birth control issue?

Thank you for any feedback. So glad I found these boards.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: To Use or Not to Use Birth Control

Elizabeth, I'm sorry to hear of those results, especially since you had the vaccine. I'm glad you are keeping up with your doctors appointments though. That is so important.

I don't know about the birth control issues. I want to suggest that you make sure your doctor(s) knows that you want to maintain your fertility.

Good luck with your LEEP tomorrow. Will the doctor be doing it in the office? or are you going under general anesthesia?

Old 02-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
(female)

Elizabeth1975 HB User
Re: To Use or Not to Use Birth Control

Yes, the doctor does know that I need to maintain my cervix as much as possible. He was very aware of it two weeks ago when he talked about doing a LEEP if the mild dysplasia persisted -- however, I haven't spoken to him in person since I found out that I was at the moderate level. I'm hoping he will take as little as possible tomorrow.

I'll be having it done at his office. I'm not too worried about it yet -- the biopsies didn't bother me at all. Hopefully this goes just as well -- heck, I'll take the pain if this means I will be cured!

Closed Thread