It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

bonesygirl HB User
When is the best time during our cycle for a pap test?

Hey ladies!

Was just wondering if anyone knows when the best time to get follow up paps following cervical conization (due to adencarcinoma in situ). Is it true that it's best to have the pap right before ones' period? I read a pervious post, stated something to that fact. That if you've got yucky cells present that one should have the test just prior to your menses. I really hope this is true because I just had my follow up pap 3 days before my period started. No matter what the results show, I just want it to be accurate!

Any thoughts?

Old 02-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
(female)

JessicainCanada HB User
Re: When is the best time during our cycle for a pap test?

The pap that started me on the road to my CINIII diagnosis was RIGHT (if memory serves me correctly), before my period. And after that my biopsy and coloscopy was on the 1st day of my menses and it ALSO showed the nasty glandular abnormal cells that otherwise would have been hiding like the little sneaks they are and would not have showed up.

I'm no expert Bonsey but I think with the shedding of the cells closes to the actual menses or during the little buggers make themselves known. Funny thing is though, most doctors dont like to do a pap/coloscopy during your period (mine usually makes one re book but I was frantic for the appt!).....And honestly from my experiance possibly they should due to the cellular shedding from higher up in the cervix.

Things to think on ladies !. Hope this finds you all well and happy...

****Hugs****
Jess~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
(female)

bonesygirl HB User

Thanks Jessica! Your response makes complete sense. I love the support on this site! There are an amazing handful ladies that I can usually count on for advise and their thoughts! Hoping I can be helpful to others as well! Thanks again!!

Hopefully, I won't be posting about a bad pap results anytime soon! (fingers crossed)

Old 02-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

zoe96 HB User

Thanks for bringing this up! I actually never thought about the timing of a pap (especially since I never had anything unusual prior to my HPV diagnosis in May '08), but this makes some sense to me. I May '08 I showed HPV, but no abnormal cells. In Nov '08 I had abnormal cells, and two months later found out I have Stage Ib1 cervical cancer. I felt like how the heck could this progress so fast, since everyone says cervical cancer spread so slowly. BUT, I have always had very sporadic periods, and I know when I went in May I definitely wasn't near having one. But, when I had a repeat in November it was because I was having extremely heavy bleeding (they think due to a miscarriage), and that's when they found the unusual cells (and I have adenocarcinoma, which is higher up and harder to find). Of course it didn't help that my old gyn used the older type pap and not the liquid based one which is much more accurate....

One other thing: I've also read and been told that you should not take a bath for three days prior to having a pap (showers are fine!!) because soaking in the tub can cause them to either not get a good sample or something...can't remember exactly why, but it's recommended not to soak or go swimming, et cetera in the few days before you are tested.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
(female)

bonesygirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoe96 View Post
Thanks for bringing this up! I actually never thought about the timing of a pap (especially since I never had anything unusual prior to my HPV diagnosis in May '08), but this makes some sense to me. I May '08 I showed HPV, but no abnormal cells. In Nov '08 I had abnormal cells, and two months later found out I have Stage Ib1 cervical cancer. I felt like how the heck could this progress so fast, since everyone says cervical cancer spread so slowly. BUT, I have always had very sporadic periods, and I know when I went in May I definitely wasn't near having one. But, when I had a repeat in November it was because I was having extremely heavy bleeding (they think due to a miscarriage), and that's when they found the unusual cells (and I have adenocarcinoma, which is higher up and harder to find). Of course it didn't help that my old gyn used the older type pap and not the liquid based one which is much more accurate....

One other thing: I've also read and been told that you should not take a bath for three days prior to having a pap (showers are fine!!) because soaking in the tub can cause them to either not get a good sample or something...can't remember exactly why, but it's recommended not to soak or go swimming, et cetera in the few days before you are tested.
So, Zoe let me get this correct, you say that you were hpv positive in May of 08 but had a normal pap? Then, in Nov of 08 you had abnormal cells (which was probably the Ib1 diagnosis hiding up there as well)? Gosh, I am just soo stummped. Yours and mine (and probably many many others)progressed so very quickly. So, we know adeno' is glandular and harder to detect we also know that adeno means fast growing, right?. hummmm... it's just soo scary and not fair!( I know, I know that's life right) My pap in Jan of 06 was normal but then by Oct of 06 it was AIS. It's upsetting, our diagnosis. ... ... anyway, thanks for letting me vent.

Thanks for the pointer regarding the bath. Sadly for me, ( I used to love baths) I don't really take them anymore. I find that any soap whatsoever irritates my V. Still good to know.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Adenocarcinoma is cancer of the glandular cells (sometimes called columnar cells). Carcinoma is cancer of squamous cells. They cells are distinguished by their location, function, and how they look.

Cancer of the squamous cells tends to grow more slowly (than adenocarinoma), grows outward, and is on the outer 1/3 of the cervix. That is the area that is seen and sampled during a pap and/or colposcopy.

Cancer of the glandular cells tends to grow more rapidly (than carcinoma), grows a little here - a little there- alittle somewhere else, and is on the upper 2/3 of the cervix. That part of the cervix cannot be seen during a pap or colposcopy. The only nonsurgical way to detect the cells in the endocervical canal is with an ECC (usually done with a colposcopy). Otherwise, biopsies like a LEEP or CKC sample the canal.

It makes some sense to me that a pap just prior to the period might indicate more cells from further up the canal. Perhaps just after a period, too. I don't know for sure, though. I think it is a logical thought, though.

Closed Thread