HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-cervical-ovarian/)
-   -   Biopsy today (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-cervical-ovarian/671715-biopsy-today.html)

happyhorsemom 02-17-2009 08:41 AM

Biopsy today

Okay, had my colpo plus biopsy today. Last time when my biopsy came back ok he only took like one sample. I lost count today around 15 or so. I keep going back and forth....if he took that many samples then there must've been a lot of dysplasia....or maybe he was just playing it safe. What do you think? He told me to try not to worry...HA. Like saying try not to breathe, y'know. What's the average number of samples they take? Does more samples equal more dysplasia? Not trying to be a make myself nuts here, just making sure I'm emotionally prepared for my results!

Theresa

LilyL21 02-17-2009 01:00 PM

Re: Biopsy today

I think more samples probably means more dysplasia, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's advanced. I'm not a doctor, but I don't see any reason why there couldn't be a lot of CIN 1.

He's probably playing it safe . . . I mean, if he sees an abnormal area, don't you want him to biopsy it? It could be CIN 1 in one area and CIN 2 in another. I'm not saying it is, but that's why they do the biopsy, right? He's taking a biopsy because he doesn't know whether the dysplasia is mild, moderate, or severe.

Waiting sucks, but you really don't know anything until your results come back. The only good news I have for you is even if it's CIN 3, you will be fine, right? You'll get treatment and then be good as new. :)

JessicainCanada 02-17-2009 01:17 PM

Hello ladies :-).....

I had 2 samples taken with my colpo (one from the TZ zone and one not far from that), both showed CINIII. It could just be that he is playing it safe and taking an active approach to making sure anything that diddnt look quite right got a path report, which is a good thing even though it may be scary its better than the alternative right!:). The waiting is the WORST part granted, but like Lilly said even if it is CINIII you just will need treatment and all will be grand.

I'm going crazy inventing all sorts of new medical issues for myself waiting for my hyst!. I know the waiting part is awful and we are all right here with you in one stage or another! lol... :)..

***Hugs***

Jess~

Pickle Eyes 02-17-2009 05:18 PM

I don't know if the number of samples is representative of the extent of the damage. My doctor took NO samples during my colpo, but she did an ECC. The ECC came back adenocaricnoma in situ.

I know saying don't worry is like saying don't breath (good way to word it, though!), but I will tell you that worrying doesn't change the outcome. It only occupies our mind while we are waiting for it. I can tell you to try to find something positive to focus on while you wait. I know you'll worry in the duration, but hopefully you'll find something else to think of - to reduce the worry time. Again, I know - like saying "don't breath." ((((hugs)))

When did the doctor say the results would be in? ((((hugs))))

happyhorsemom 02-17-2009 08:09 PM

They said that if I don't hear from them in one week to call. I am glad he took all the biopsies...I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'm pretty sure he did an ECC as well...considering the symptoms I've been having that eases my mind a little. I'd be lying if I said it didn't worry me that there was that much area to biopsy, though! I'm sure all will be fine....
Thanks!

Theresa

Pickle Eyes 02-17-2009 08:24 PM

Since they said 1 week, I'd suggest calling back on Thursday or Friday. In my experience, they usually have the results a few days before they tell you they'll have them. I also prefer calling rather than waiting for them to call me. This way I am ready for the results, and not driving down the street, walking into a store, or getting in the shower.

Good luck and take care!